Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/9/2017 9:48:04 AM EDT
Heading to the Tetons next month in mid Sept. It'll be my first 5 day trip in the backcountry. Anything I'm missing? Anything irrelevant that I'm carrying?
Total weight: 32lb base weight. 40 lb with 3L water+food

Pack:
Osprey Atmos 65L
Sleep System:
Big Agnes Copper Spur UL2
REI Igneo 19F bag
Klymit Insulated Static V pad
Cocoon Hood pillow
Water:
1L Nalgeen (not pictured)
3L Osprey hydration bladder
1-2 tubes of Nuun electrolyte tabs
Platypus Gravity works 4L water purifier (gf carries a spare Sawyer mini as backup)
Food:
Jetboil Minimo stove + 100g fuel (gf will pack a spare)
Summit to Summit spoon
Ursack Major bear bag
10xMTN House freeze dried meals + 10xcliff bars + bag of chocolate almonds +  5xMuesli/Whey/Whole Milk breakfast packs
Clothes:
2 pair ExOfficio boxer briefs
2 pair Darn Tough micro cushion socks
Underarmour halfzip shirt
Marmot Precip Jacket
Eddie Bauer Stormdown Jacket
OR hat and a boonie
Whatever I'm wearing in on day 1
Hygene
Camp soap/detergent
Toothbrush/toothpaste
Contacts solution
Sunscreen
Hand sanitizer
Bug spray (clothes will be permethrin treated)
Emergency/Repair/Utility
First aid kit
Tenacious Tape+Mesh repair patch
Roll dental floss + needles/safety pins
ACR Personal Locator Beacon
40ft paracord
Leatherman Wave
Lighter
Black Diamond headlamp
Trail microfiber towel
Sunto Compass/Map/Sharpie
Misc
Sony A6000 + 18-105 F/4.0 Lens + 2x spare batteries
Sirui T-005X tripod
Anker 21W powerport solar panel (gf carries a battery pack)
Trekking poles
Taurus PT-140 40 S&W loaded with 10+1 rounds 200gr Hardcast Buffalo Bore
Bear spray (will get after landing at airport)

Camera and PT140 will be carried in chest mounted pouch from ZPacks

Link Posted: 8/9/2017 11:12:57 AM EDT
[#1]
That's some solid kit there, OP.  

You may have it already in your first aid kit, but my one suggestion would be to have a good pair of tweezers, nail clippers, and a small mirror.  
A lightweight pair of gloves (Ex. Mechanix FastFit) can come in really handy, too.  

Oh, and we have rules.  Pics of GF not loading...
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 12:02:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Yep. Have a signaling mirror, and Mechanix Mpact gloves. The Leatherman Wave has scissors that I'm hoping will do for nail clippers. Good call on the tweezers though.

Pic of the gf pending her approval...
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 1:20:34 PM EDT
[#3]
I just took a cell phone and a Glock.  I stayed in a hotel.  That is the way I roll.  

I don't see a cell phone or a charger pack.  
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 2:10:08 PM EDT
[#4]
I was going to say solid kit, but it seemed like a heavy base-load until I noticed the GF is coming and it looks like you're packing all the food and tent.  This is one reason I need to get my son a larger pack while he's in college as I see him doing the same thing.

Make sure to check the weather as it gets closer, that may change your clothing selection.  How far are you planning on hiking?  Straight-line trail or loop, or just hiking into a spot and camping?

Make sure you're sleep clothes are dedicated; layering is key, but I avoid getting my sleep clothes sweaty or dirty.  I may keep them on for the first couple miles on the trail until I warm up, and the I remove them when I get warmed up.  I pretty much decided to pack ultralight weight rain pants that also serve as wind pants.  Weather this time of year can be a little unpredictable, so plan accordingly.  You can be damp as long as you're moving and can block the wind and when you setup camp, you want to get out of damp/sweaty clothes.  At the end of the day I like to wipe down, get dry, warm and eat a hot meal which really makes body and mental comfort recovery much easier

A couple small suggestions to cut a few ounces:

Go with just one tube of NUUN.  I like them, but only use them when I know I've been sweating hard.
Instead of paracord, consider some lighter spectra-cord.
I use a tiny eye-dropper bottle of Dr. Bronners and it will last me a couple of long trips (like 100 miles per trip).  

Are you using a bear hanging line for your food bag (or at least something to tie it to a rock/tree)?  If you do, consider the lighter spectra cord for hanging.

Not sure if you like coffee or tea, but some warm beverages in the morning and at night are always a good idea.

If your GF plans on taking wet-wipes, my wife actually dehydrated some and just added a little water when needed and they worked perfectly; saved a lot of weight.

I don't know how good sun access will be, but my wife and I both just carry a 10K+mAh battery charger and have gone 5-6 days with no issues.  It really depends on your power needs.  We were just using our phones for GPS, camera and Kindle app with periodic updates via text or Facebook (my wife did most of the posting).

Not sure how big your FAK is, but if the terrain isn't too technical, you can really minimize the size with gauze, tape, couple Band-aides, antibiotic cream and whatever pain/antihistamines you need.

Lastly, make sure you're GF is good with your Mt. House meal selections...

Everything look good.  Enjoy and make sure to follow up with an AAR.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 2:40:57 PM EDT
[#5]
I always double up on light sources and cutting tools (i.e., two flashlights, and two knives).  Your GF may have you covered there, but it's handy if each person has an "heir and a spare".

I love using a headlamp around camp or getting started early (hiking in late...ugh), but I prefer to have a more powerful handheld as my backup.  Same thing with a knife.  The Wave will serve you well, but I'd carry a small fixed blade as well.  Something like a Mora is a great choice if you don't want to spend a lot of money.  Based on your other gear choices though, you might spring for something from BRKT or full custom.  

Have a fun and safe trip!

Godspeed,
Chase
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 4:49:28 PM EDT
[#6]
@Wildearp
Yep, will have a cell phone on me acting as my GPS (GAIA GPS)

@Rock6
Trip is 5 days, 4 nights over 40 miles. Through hike with about 7200~ft of climb. What really bugs me is how much my bag of clothes is going to weigh me down- it's definitely more than I'm used to carrying. But I'm not sure I can cut it down any further. I'm already on the one to wear, one to dry. I plan on throwing a rope when I can, but I suspect I'll be above the treeline for most of the Tetons (anyone confirm?). I'll tie it to a rock or something at that point. Good call on the wet wipes- in the past I've just skinny dipped into a clear body of water to rinse off. And we'll be carrying tea and hot chocolate- I complete agree, it's such a good morale booster at the end of the day.
My trail weight is about 5~ lbs more than I normally carry, but I can't think of much to get rid of. Half of me wants to ditch the PT140 and go with bear spray alone. At this point, I'd have to spend $$$ to shave off ounces on upgraded gear. 

@55Kingpin
Yeah, most of my critical supplies have a redundancy that the gf is carrying. I have a SOG field pup for fixed blade, but I generally just carry the Wave and sometimes my griptillian. 

Thanks for double checking me guys 
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 6:59:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Sounds like a great trip and your list looks pretty solid.

Like you said, weight is everything.  Ounces equals pounds; pounds equals pain.

My only suggestion might be to replace the Nalgene with a smart water bottle--it is the same capacity, and much lighter if that is what you intended the Nalgene to do for you.

I know it can hold warm water too, so I wanted to caveat my suggestion with other function you may have for that container.

Keep us updated after the trip--what worked, what didn't.  What you used, what you wish you had, etc.  Always a good chance to pass along lessons observed.

Have a great time!
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 8:19:59 PM EDT
[#8]
It all looks pretty good, just make your gf carry some of that community gear.

Food:

To each his own, but I'd get tired of that menu after about day 2. You might want to add some variety: dried fruit, jerky, etc.
I'm assuming it'll be Mountain House for lunch and dinner? I'd have trouble staying hydrated with that much sodium - I started making my own meals for that reason.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 1:31:25 AM EDT
[#9]
You hit on a good point, ultralight gear is typically $$$+.
And then, ultralight is usually a tradeoff as far as durability goes.

Yes, pounds equal pain.  But at the end of the day, compared to what your gear could be weighing if you'd bought cheap Walmart crap, I'd say you're doing really well.  

Oh, and I'd hang on to the pistol, too. Think of it this way; if you and your girlfriend were headed into a high crime area with a decent chance of being mugged by someone with a knife, would you consider pepper spray to be an adequate defense? Hungry bears that have pegged you as the grocery store can be a real problem.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 8:07:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Trip is 5 days, 4 nights over 40 miles. Through hike with about 7200~ft of climb. What really bugs me is how much my bag of clothes is going to weigh me down- it's definitely more than I'm used to carrying. But I'm not sure I can cut it down any further.  At this point, I'd have to spend $ to shave off ounces on upgraded gear. 
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Trip is 5 days, 4 nights over 40 miles. Through hike with about 7200~ft of climb. What really bugs me is how much my bag of clothes is going to weigh me down- it's definitely more than I'm used to carrying. But I'm not sure I can cut it down any further.  At this point, I'd have to spend $ to shave off ounces on upgraded gear. 
At that elevation, you're going to need that extra insulation.  I wouldn't skimp on clothing to cut ounces, I know there are some changes you can make; however, use your best judgement and err on the side of a little extra.  You're probably like me that I'm in a good spot and to shave ounces I would have to spend some serious money...once I start looking for upgraded (and very expensive) clothing/gear, I just take a break and go look in the mirror, finding a few ounces I can shave off myself

Quoted:
My only suggestion might be to replace the Nalgene with a smart water bottle--it is the same capacity, and much lighter if that is what you intended the Nalgene to do for you.
I missed this as well.  I usually use the 20 or 23 liter-sized bottles with the flip top cap.  These are remarkably strong bottles and the narrow, flip top cap makes hygiene use much easier.  Along with my 2-3 liter hydration bladder (which is my primary hydration method when backpacking), I carry a 2-liter (Evernew or Platypus) collapsible water bottle and the SmartWater bottle.  Since you're using the Platypus filtrations system, you can also just use that bladder to transport water and filter as needed.  Having a hard bottle makes gravity filtration easier and it makes transporting water between containers easier as well.  If water sources are infrequent or I know I'll be traveling significant section without reliable water, I'll use the collapsible bottle to tank up.  Nalgene bottles are pretty heavy and you can make a significant cut in ounces switching a lighter water bottle (like SmartWater).  I change mine out every year or so, but I've never had one fail or bust on me.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 11:09:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Looks good enough that I can't rip you on piss poor gear choices 

But.

I'd be telling the GF....you want to sleep in a tent. Here's your half of it.
Btdt.  It was that or she had to sleep under the siltarp as I normally do when solo.
Mysteriously there was room in her pack and it wasn't heavy after all...lol .

I can't fault you on the nalgene because I like mine for the measurement scale on it.
But I'm gonna do the smart bottle deal again. But this time sharpie 2,4,6,8 oz on it.

Enjoy the trip.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 2:10:10 PM EDT
[#12]
GF definitely willing to help with the weight split, so that might knock another 2~3 lbs off my base weight.

Food wise, I've definitely had days hiking where I'm starving if I only have a single hot meal a day and try to get by on jerky/protein bars during the day. I've resorted to using Justin's peanut butter packs for just pure caloric density at this point.

I'll check out the smart water bottle. Although I am thinking of getting a titanium camp cup as well, for coffee/tea purposes. 
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 4:48:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
GF definitely willing to help with the weight split, so that might knock another 2~3 lbs off my base weight.

Food wise, I've definitely had days hiking where I'm starving if I only have a single hot meal a day and try to get by on jerky/protein bars during the day. I've resorted to using Justin's peanut butter packs for just pure caloric density at this point.

I'll check out the smart water bottle. Although I am thinking of getting a titanium camp cup as well, for coffee/tea purposes. 
View Quote
Ignore @Protus' comment; there's a reason he backpacks and hikes solo (just had to bust his balls!).

My wife and I do more snacks and the one hot meal at night.  I will say we have been using more tortillas, usually one at lunch (with Justin's PB; my preference is the chocolate hazelnut butter), and another with our hot meal and used as a plate with the final scraps rolled up like a burrito.  We mix freeze dried and our homemade dehydrated meals.  We shoot mostly for rice, beans, chili-mac, rice/curry mixes, etc.  If the meals are thick enough, a tortilla makes a great "edible plate"...lick my spork or spoon clean and no dishes

It does take some practice to find out our "snack" amounts.  We have some for breakfast (Clif or similar bar along with a squeeze pouch of apple sauce or even pudding), the tortilla/PB for lunch, fruit chews and/or trail mix for afternoons, more recently we've added a Snickers as well, and we add a pouch of those "crack-beans" (sports jelly beans) for that extra caffeine kick.  We'll add variety with beef jerky and different granola, energy type bars. We just found we needed more "ready to eat" calories as we wanted to stay on the trail as much as possible.  You could go lighter with a simple dehydrated meal for lunch.  A good dinner desert is small Ziploc pouch with 1/4 cup of vanilla (my preference) pudding with a 1/4 cup of instant, dehydrated milk; add water, mix (mostly knead) and let it stand while you're eating your dinner.  I love it and it's a ton of calories.  By day 6 or 7, I'm day-dreaming of that pudding all day on the trail

ROCK6
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 6:12:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Use key lime flavoring with that pudding and add some powdered PB to it for a poor mans key line pie on that tortilla
I've also done the protein shake,PB  powder,and instant espresso mix for that AM fast meal. Never thought to add powdered milk for more cals.

@ROCK6  it's cool man. My wife isn't as hardcore as yours. Shes done several 3 day trips with me. But her learning curve was more of a straight drop lol .
I had to argue with her that her junky tennis shoes weren't gonna do it.
"No...ill be fine.."
Want me to look over hour gear honey to help?
" no...I know what to pack "
By day two...you could see it...by the end of the trip and on the ride home she admitted her screw ups.

We Sat down did a pack dump...next trip,with good hikers on,good load, she had a great time. Three trips later though ego got her again
"No,,,I Know how to pack my ruck. ......"
She froze......lmao.

Freaking women....lol .
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 10:37:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Use key lime flavoring with that pudding and add some powdered PB to it for a poor mans key line pie on that tortilla
I've also done the protein shake,PB  powder,and instant espresso mix for that AM fast meal. Never thought to add powdered milk for more cals.

@ROCK6  it's cool man. My wife isn't as hardcore as yours. Shes done several 3 day trips with me. But her learning curve was more of a straight drop lol .
I had to argue with her that her junky tennis shoes weren't gonna do it.
"No...ill be fine.."
Want me to look over hour gear honey to help?
" no...I know what to pack "
By day two...you could see it...by the end of the trip and on the ride home she admitted her screw ups.

We Sat down did a pack dump...next trip,with good hikers on,good load, she had a great time. Three trips later though ego got her again
"No,,,I Know how to pack my ruck. ......"
She froze......lmao.

Freaking women....lol .
View Quote
My wife is good until the temps drop below freezing...below freezing she's no fun to be around  We too have had the "I'm good on my already packed gear" mistakes.  She has a few girls that have done a couple backpacking trips with her and she's now become the pack-Nazi doing serious pre-combat checks and inspections  I'm still a big advocate of gear checklists (the same as my gear weight spreadsheet).  Although most of my stuff is set, seasonal weather changes, location, trip distance, etc. do cause me to make small adjustments.  

My wife has also been pretty good about balanced loads.  Her pack weight is typically 4-5 pounds light than mine; however when we double up (single 2-person tent vice separate hammocks), our pack weight is less and more equal.  I typically carry extra water since she's always pushing her on-board water capacity (she's run out more than few times before we hit a spring or other water source).  We still get plenty of "lessons learned" after every trip...

ROCK6
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 11:06:13 AM EDT
[#16]
Just shaved off another lb off my gear due to labor day sales. And it only cost me $150 to do it 

Klymit Static V Insulated to Sea to Summit Ultralight Insulated: 25oz to 15.5oz
Marmot Precip to Mountain Hardware Ghost Lite: 11oz to 3.1oz

Net savings: 17.4 oz 

But then I went and got a Suunto Core watch... so up goes my weight again..
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 9:54:52 AM EDT
[#17]
I noticed contact solution but not extra pair of contacts or glasses.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top