Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/25/2017 9:56:12 AM EDT
I ALWAYS have my Glock 19 and a spare mag on me anywhere I go. However, I and my fiance have planned to start hiking some more rural trails and doing some overnight camping trips where we hike in. We hike in northern Georgia so the risk of running into something isnt high but we do have black bears in the area and the typical idiots on the trails.

Who all carries a rifle with them while out hiking? Id rather take it a long to have it rather than need it and not have it. Id have either a Marlin 336 in 30-30 or a 1895GBL in 45/70. Figured this would be better than an AR for a woods rifle
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 11:51:48 AM EDT
[#1]
All the time.

I had two bears show up at a picnic area a long time ago,

That was enough to remind me to have a rifle on all hikes.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 12:47:32 PM EDT
[#2]
*raises hand*

Quite frequently. If in Arizona, I bring an AR, especially if I'm close to the border. If in Missouri, either a Marlin 336 or a pump shotgun.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 8:20:46 PM EDT
[#3]
People's definitions of hiking and backpacking differ. I very rarely carry a rifle backpacking, and I live in the Rockies where we have all manner of predators, from Canadian wolves to bears, lions, you name it.  I always carry a large bore handgun, but I have no desire to carry a rifle on the type of Alpine backpack trips I do.

If I was down near the southern border, in AZ, TX, NM etc, I would certainly carry an AR as a reasonable precaution, though I would also probably consider seeking recreational opportunities that were less likely to have me encounter drug traffickers.

For local hikes I may take a rifle, but since I always have a handgun on me I am not too concerned from a defense standpoint. More often than not, if I end up shooting my rifle, it is at coyotes or rock chucks.

Link Posted: 6/26/2017 6:48:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Backpacking? No.  You sound like you're doing some hiking up in Cohutta.  That has to be the most remote, rugged area in the Southeast.  We've done one trip there and I want to go back again...it's thick with black bears but all the other hikers we saw were open-carrying and quite friendly and courteous.  I don't think a rifle would be out of place there, but I wouldn't want to hike in the way we went with a rifle in hand...a pistol is far easier to backpack with.  Location means everything...

ROCK6
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 6:50:25 PM EDT
[#5]
I used to carry a Marlin Papoose broken down in my pack along with whatever pistol I was carrying at the time but I haven't done that in a long time.  My hiking/backpacking gun has been a S&W 642 for a long time now although I bought a 3" 360 to possibly replace it.  The 3" means it won't drop in my usual camera case that I use to carry the 642 so I haven't decided whether I like it or not- it's easily one of the most unpleasant guns I've ever shot.    If I was anywhere near the border I'd probably upgrade what I was carrying to including a larger handgun and an AR of some sort, probably a SBR or pistol 6.5 or 6.8.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 12:28:42 AM EDT
[#6]
No.  I like to have my hands free and a rifle is simply not needed in my AO.  My kids make so much noise that I will never hope to sneak up on a bear or cat.  When I lived in New Mexico on the border, a rifle was standard but that was for two legged predators.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 2:31:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Sometimes, a Ruger K77/44 carbine w/Aimpoint Micro---light, short, fast, potent ...
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 12:33:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Never...at most G23...cascades and Selkirk mtns
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 1:23:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Being in a remote area three miles' walk from the Mexican border will change your perspective, that's for sure. I saw some evidence of illegals (discarded stuff, kids' backpacks, that sort of thing), but not enough to be uncomfortable. Don't plan on spending much time in that area, though.
I keep a PC fully loaded with PMags in the truck too
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 11:53:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Rarely if ever a rifle while hiking. I do carry a 460 in a chest holster most of the time though.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 6:51:13 PM EDT
[#11]
no- due to weight. I've carried a Kahr CM40 on the trail while backpacking, but that's it.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 6:58:28 AM EDT
[#12]
After a few miles with a 42 pound pack, I have no desire to add 7-8 pounds of rifle.

After climbing over rocks, I have no desire to have something bulky bouncing around near my chest. I also like having my hands free.

Unless I'm going someplace really dangerous, I'm not carrying a rifle. If someplace is dangerous enough I need a rifle, then I'm staying home.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 11:10:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
After a few miles with a 42 pound pack, I have no desire to add 7-8 pounds of rifle.

After climbing over rocks, I have no desire to have something bulky bouncing around near my chest. I also like having my hands free.

Unless I'm going someplace really dangerous, I'm not carrying a rifle. If someplace is dangerous enough I need a rifle, then I'm staying home.
View Quote
Pretty much exactly my thought on this 
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 7:43:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
42 lb for (maybe) overnight? I would probably have to agree on the thought though.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 7:50:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

42 lb for (maybe) overnight? I would probably have to agree on the thought though.
View Quote
Yeah, it was 42 pounds for overnight. That included 10 pounds of water, 2 pounds of food, and roughly 2 pounds of handgun.

I don't get out enough to justify expensive light weight gear.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 7:59:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Yeah, it was 42 pounds for overnight. That included 10 pounds of water, 2 pounds of food, and roughly 2 pounds of handgun.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, sure. How many 6 packs?
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 3:41:19 PM EDT
[#17]
I've carried my HK-91A2 on occasion while hiking in puma country.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 11:11:39 AM EDT
[#18]
Nope. Just a g17 .

Fuck that extra 8lbs ...
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 4:55:19 PM EDT
[#19]
I carried this on my last 2-night trip:

The bro in laws and I were on private family land, deep in the heart of the TN smokies. Just north of the region you'll be in.

We only had about a half mile hike up the mountain from the driveway/dirt path so it wasn't too bad. If we had been on public trails I would not have carried it. If we had been planning to do miles and miles on private land, I would have taken the SBR to save on weight.

It was an extra peace of mind having it there. I also had my Glock 17 in the HPG recon kit bag, but having a rifle that could put down any predator (2-legged or otherwise) right there...you really don't worry about anything. I was at ease when we heard the pack of coyotes just a few hundred yards away. The only bad things that got a hold of me in the night were a few chiggers in inconvenient places...
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 9:06:57 AM EDT
[#20]
Depends on the terrain, but I plan to start taking one on flatter backpacking trips. Primarily to scare hippies and stuff.

It also depends on how light I get my pack weight to. I sometimes backpack with a slow companion. More weight would help me slow down my normally brisk pace and have me not be frustrated :)
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 10:48:21 AM EDT
[#21]
Alaskans commonly carry a 12 Ga shotgun with Brenneke slugs (alternating with buckshot sometimes).  If a bear/moose/lion/wolf is close enough to be a problem then a shotgun properly loaded is more than adequate, and often much lighter than a rifle.... works against 2-legged predators as well.  Carry it with a sling across your chest and its at least as acessable as a handgun.

I commonly carry a semi-auto 5.56 when hunting (whitetail/mule deer), with a 15# bergen ruck (food, knives, rope and suchlike).... across the chest, but the XCR outweighs my Benelli Super 90 by at least 2#.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 11:06:48 AM EDT
[#22]
I'm sure this guy is glad he carried a rifle that was also with a high capacity mag: Bear killed by AK-74
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 12:18:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Not all rifles are the same. There are heavy ones and lighter ones. Something like the Ruger 77/357 or 77/44 are just the ticket. Probably same ammo as your handgun you may be carrying. Rifle punch but short and light. I've thought of acraglassing sights on my Ruger American in 450 BM for just this reason.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 10:33:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Ruger 77/357 when out hiking with the pups.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top