Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 6:10:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Last nights jaunt.
Odd it didn't keep track of our put stop mid way to hydrate and pisd..chevk the map. Same thing with cals burned .Hmmm.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 10:54:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Last nights jaunt.
Odd it didn't keep track of our put stop mid way to hydrate and pisd..chevk the map. Same thing with cals burned .Hmmm.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/49816/20170328-184501-176455.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/49816/20170328-182444-176453.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/49816/Screenshot-20170329-052250-176452.JPG
View Quote
Nice pics, landscape makes me jealous.  We still have snow and ice covering everything.

Maybe I missed it but what app are you, or others using?  I need to get one.  I have an android based phone and usually just use google maps, but it doesn't really track etc.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 11:33:24 AM EDT
[#3]
The app screen shots you're seeing is the native Samsung app called S-Health.  If you don't have a Samsung, look back through the replies. I think there were some suggestions on good alternatives.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 12:00:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Short little 3 miler today

Attachment Attached File

Gotta figure up my mileage for the year.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 9:37:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Got my steps in..but didn't track it.
Gonna do a few more miles this weekend when my work rotation is up.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 10:22:16 AM EDT
[#6]
I know about how long my longer hikes are but I don't track it with a GPS to get it real close.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 11:35:31 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm really enjoying this thread and seeing all the different places people do their hiking.  Once it stops raining and I get a couple free days, I'm really itching to go backpacking around here.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 8:29:38 PM EDT
[#8]
6 miler

started    Apr 4, 2017, 4:54 PM
activity    Hike
hike time    1:58:34
distance    6.01 miles
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 8:52:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 5:43:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Went solo.
First time in a while. ...but it forces me to push through and self right my thoughts...etc etc..all that good vibe bullshit lol .

Took bunch of pics dunno why the phone ain't keeping small like the others...stupid phone...lol

Took 3 breaks. 2 to piss..hydrate and have a hand full of granola and give the dog water.
So maybe 10 minutes total.

My heel is hurting me..but ignored it.

Gotta weigh my pack. It's to much for day jaunts..prolly near 25lbs...iirc.

Only took the FT for 1/2 mile then went off trail the rest of the hike.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 12:00:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Insanely jealous right now of you guys getting out.  The wife is away and I've gotta take the kid to softball practice, so no time to get up into the mountains.  It's absolutely gorgeous out there right now.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 12:59:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Insanely jealous right now of you guys getting out.  The wife is away and I've gotta take the kid to softball practice, so no time to get up into the mountains.  It's absolutely gorgeous out there right now.
View Quote
I'll be jealous of your mountains in July when it's 98f and 99% humidty..while I walk through the woods....
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 2:20:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I'll be jealous of your mountains in July when it's 98f and 99% humidty..while I walk through the woods....
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ever been to the Smokies?  In Summer it can get 98f and 99% humidity, plus you're walking straight uphill BOTH WAYS.  
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 4:14:34 PM EDT
[#14]
@Durka-Durka you may get a little more jealous, but I assure you today's will probably be the most dissappointing hike of the year. The hike from the road to the trailhead was all I could manage as the actual trail was still in chest deep snow.  Only managed 1.8 miles today. About half was on a trail that was still sinking in about 6-8 inches in the snow.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 5:32:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Ever been to the Smokies?  In Summer it can get 98f and 99% humidity, plus you're walking straight uphill BOTH WAYS.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yup. I have.
But look up at my pictures.
See the one's..I first shower. That's 85% of the FT here.  Pine flatwoods...or burnt scrub oak. Its 4-8ft high...no shade...trail is sand. Think walking on sugar..salt..aka sand dunes. Now do that for a few hours.
Any shade you get is a blessing. Lol.

I'd rather be humping through a place like the Smokey park up your way in July than here. 
Whats the night temps? It won't go under 80 here till October.

Each location has it's challenges...I'm aware of that...but there is lots of folks that think it's a walk in the park down here...
Just like if you stuck me in Colorado hiking. I'd probably fall out after 5 miles lol .
My first time in middle Ontario near Algonquin park...was a pain....

Either way...I'm gonna keep pushing...
I want to do our long section here in November with my brother.
I've yet to do a serious over nighter since I blew my back into 100 pieces 4 years ago ....reason I gotta par down my day bike pack/trainer from 25lbs-+
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 2:06:08 AM EDT
[#16]
Squaw peak near Provo. 3.14 miles

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 7:15:31 AM EDT
[#17]
Got a new garmin fitness gps.  Hiked the whole length of the Pumpkinvine trail both directions in the last 3 days.  36.6 miles. Have rode this often on the bikes.  First time hiking the whole length.
April 13-15 hike.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 10:35:16 AM EDT
[#18]
Wife and I are looking t getting into camping and doing more outdoors. We have kayaking planned this summer, so you can put me down for being interested. We are the type to drive to the campsite and hike during the day if that counts. I have bad legs.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 11:24:35 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Wife and I are looking t getting into camping and doing more outdoors. We have kayaking planned this summer, so you can put me down for being interested. We are the type to drive to the campsite and hike during the day if that counts. I have bad legs.
View Quote
Yep that counts! I don't think we've had any backpackers yet in this thread.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 12:08:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 7:48:01 PM EDT
[#21]
There we go.  

Anywho, got a more accurate hike for a hike I did earlier in the year, West Prong trail in the Smokies.  GPS didn't crap out on me this time around. I'm 1.5mi from being halfway to my 100mi goal for the year.

Elevation Gain:  777ft
Miles hiked:  5.62mi  

Total miles to date: 48.58mi
Total Elevation Gain:  10,308ft

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 11:36:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Great thread! Wished I would have found it sooner!
I did a 26 mile loop back in Feb - 3 days/2 nights, and did another 8 miles on that trail last month while looking at other campsites that would be an easy trek for kids. A buddy and I are going to do a section of the LoneStar Hiking trail next weekend, which should be another 15-20 miles. 

Any other suggestions for iOS apps that can track progress would be cool. Seems like the other one listed sucks down the battery pretty quick.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 10:46:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Got off work in time for a quickie. 2.25 miles up to lower Bells canyon reservoir. Attachment Attached File

As far as Aps go I've been using Runtastic.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 11:00:32 AM EDT
[#24]
Went to Shenandoah again on Saturday. Did the section of the AT from the parking lot near Thornton Gap to Crusher Ridge near Hughes River Gap. This section goes past Mary's Rock and The Pinnacle both of which I would highly recommend to anyone visiting Shenandoah. Mary's Rock was super crowded on Saturday though. I did the section as an in and back hike. 13.29 miles.

View from near the base of The Pinnacle:
Attachment Attached File

I tried the backpacking mode in the Samsung Health App this time. I think I prefer it over the Hiking mode since it doesn't constantly pause the hike thereby giving the correct hike duration. It also seems to calculate the calories more accurately (the calorie counter in hiking mode has always seemed very off based on the other calorie counters I have used over the years. I think the hiking mode assumes no backpack and I always have at least a 20lb pack). Only drawback to the backpacking mode is that it doesn't give an elevation profile. YMMV.

Attachment Attached File

Total Mileage YTD: 92.78
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:02:22 AM EDT
[#25]
I switched to the backpacking feature as well. Few weeks back. It did better on the duration etc.
Plus my packs been 25 lbs or so. I scaled down to under 20...but may go lower. Drop back to my mule with bladder..ifak..gun..snd food,navigation stuff.

Attachment Attached File

I'm right around 30 miles hiked since I started this app.which was mid March iirc.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 4:45:44 PM EDT
[#26]
App is funky. Did a old route but added good 20-25 mins time to it and it says less distances covered. I did loose cell signal so I'll caulk it up to that.
Was aiming for 4 total. Old route showed 3.14 miles..reason I went longer.
Oh well. It's hot here and muggy. ..soaked the pack straps pretty good lol .

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 4:51:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm in this thread so come winter..when its actually 78 high and 50 low I can enjoy humping 15 miles a day with out being eaten alive buy deer/yellow flies, mosquitos..ticks and sweating so much that your kit turns white from the salts...

Till then..its day hike...get conditioned and enjoy my trips.
I went through this winter laid up with injuries...

Here enjoy backpacking in Florida arfcom style.... its old but trail ain't changed much or the weather.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 5:42:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Today I tried to go up red pine lake. Trail was too slick on the outcropping and I had to turn back but made for a nice little 2.25 mile hike.

Attachment Attached File

Then after that I went a little lower and did a short little hike up to a waterfall. So that brought my daily total to 3.25
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 8:38:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Gorgeous.  

What's everybody's totals so far for the year?
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 9:11:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Gorgeous.  

What's everybody's totals so far for the year?
View Quote
21 miles
4613 feet of elevation gain
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 5:23:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Today went 4 miles and climbed 738 feet up to donut falls

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

ETA
Total 25 miles and 5351 feet climbed
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 7:01:50 PM EDT
[#32]
Little River Trail in the Great Smoky Mountains.  Super easy trail I did with a school group.  

Not the trail, just the remains of the Chimney Tops.  That's where the big Gatlinburg Fire started this winter.  

Elevation Gain:  408ft
Miles hiked:  5.39mi  

Total miles to date: 53.97mi
Total Elevation Gain:  10,716ft
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 1:47:32 PM EDT
[#33]
I still haven't figured out the Samsung hiking ap...but anyways..Went to the Cumberland Gap this past weekend.  We are prepping for Philmont.  Took a crew on an overnighter.  Did 16 miles on Sat and 8 on Sunday.  Total elevation gain was 5216 .  Now that is not we were that high...that is all the up total we did.  It was in the upper 80s and we felt it.  I carried 6 liters of water and ended up sharing with those who had only brought 3.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 4:29:02 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I still haven't figured out the Samsung hiking ap...but anyways..Went to the Cumberland Gap this past weekend.  We are prepping for Philmont.  Took a crew on an overnighter.  Did 16 miles on Sat and 8 on Sunday.  Total elevation gain was 5216 .  Now that is not we were that high...that is all the up total we did.  It was in the upper 80s and we felt it.  I carried 6 liters of water and ended up sharing with those who had only brought 3.
View Quote
Dang that's a lot of water.

What'cha having problems with concerning the Samsung App?
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 8:27:19 PM EDT
[#35]
It is a lot, but I'm a scout leader and had to carry backup for scouts who ran out.

The ap tells me how maNY steps I do etc, but how do you show a map of where you went and how do you show elevation?  Also..I put my phone on ultra saving mode and it still tracks steps.  I'm betting it won't map my route though will it?
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 9:04:16 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
It is a lot, but I'm a scout leader and had to carry backup for scouts who ran out.

The ap tells me how maNY steps I do etc, but how do you show a map of where you went and how do you show elevation?  Also..I put my phone on ultra saving mode and it still tracks steps.  I'm betting it won't map my route though will it?
View Quote
You have to make sure you have your GPS on.  You should turn your airplane mode on so no data/wifi eats the battery, and turn GPS to ON.  That's the best setting.

When you open the app, it automatically goes to the step counter.  You'll have to hit the back button at the top-left and you can see the wider menu.  

It should show a list of different icons with activities such as walking, hiking, etc.  You can either hit the icon for the detailed hiking menu, or just press start and it'll track you.  If you don't see a hiking icon, you'll have to go to the settings (blue arrow) at top right and select it from a list.

Once you hit the icon, it'll give you the map, depending on if you have service, and will ask you if you want basic workout, or want to go for distance, etc.  I just do basic workout and it tracks my miles.  Don't worry if the maps doesn't show.  You'll be in airplane mode and it won't download the map unless you pre-download it via google maps.  Once you get to service range after your hike, it'll automatically download and you'll have a map of where you went.  The main thing is to have GPS to on and it'll do the rest later.  

Link Posted: 5/1/2017 9:56:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Well, that will work.  Just followed your directions on my phone.  I just hope the battery will last.  We are going back in 2 weeks.  I'll try it then.  Will play around with it beforehand.  Thanks for taking the time to show me.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 9:26:47 AM EDT
[#38]
Went to Shenandoah this past Saturday. Ended up doing a circuit hike using two trails I had never hiked before. Started from the parking lot near Meadow School Trail below Bearfence Mountain. Took Slaughter Trail down the mountains to a gravel road called Rt. 667. Took it south to Pocosin Hollow Trail which I took back to the AT. Took the AT back to to my starting point. I forgot to actually hit the start button in the Samsung app so the screen shot is missing the roughly 1.5 miles from the start of the hike.  10.95 + 1.5 = 12.45 miles

I had commented in the Morel thread in GD earlier in the week that I had never seen a morel in real life. That changed:
Attachment Attached File

The Pocosin Hollow Trail went by a pretty strange place which apparently was an abandoned town called Far Pocosin before the park's existence. Apparently in the very early 1900s an Episcopalian Missionary established a mission house there along with a school house. Place was kind of spooky. Here is a link with more info: http://www.abandonedcountry.com/2013/01/07/far-pocosan-wild-with-moonshine-whiskey/

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Of course there was a set of "stairs in the woods" of Creepy thread fame but I totally forgot to get a picture of them - you can see them in the link above. Also there was apparently a graveyard across the trail from the buildings but I didnt know to look for it.

Attachment Attached File

Total Mileage YTD: 105.23
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 11:40:34 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Well, that will work.  Just followed your directions on my phone.  I just hope the battery will last.  We are going back in 2 weeks.  I'll try it then.  Will play around with it beforehand.  Thanks for taking the time to show me.
View Quote
Go through the activities list,like he posted. Add backpacking to your list.
If I'm carrying anything besides water/day bag aka 12lbs. I use the backpacking feature.
It's a little more accurate I think.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 11:42:56 AM EDT
[#40]
No hikes till the weekend..been on my call rotation.

Been jogging instead.
Gotta keep training.
Planning a 5+ day hump that's gonna be either down here or in WV.
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 8:46:18 PM EDT
[#41]
Today I went 3.72 miles and gained 962 ft.

Total 28.2 miles and 6313 feet climbed

Nothing worth posting pics of.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 10:47:57 AM EDT
[#42]
Got up to the Smokies on Friday to go backpacking, but high winds (some recorded at 97mph!) blew down a bunch of trees and lots of roads were closed.  "No problem" says I, because the one road I was planning on going was still open according to their twitter feed.  Got up there and they told me all roads were closed in the park.  Damn.  That left exactly one trail open to me, and I asked if I could go, they said it was up to me.  This is the same trail I've done twice already, so I went.  They weren't kidding about downed trees.  Probably 20 that blocked the trail over a 4.3mi length.  

I decided to hike this one as fast as I could, because 1) I had pizza waiting on me at home, and 2) I wanted to see how accurate my GPS was.  After 3 hikes on the same trail, they all came out different.
The trail is listed at 4.3mi, which should translate to a 8.6mi round trip.
1) 8.7 mi
2) 9.07 mi
3) 8.23 mi

Chestnut Top Trail
Elevation Gain:  1436ft
Miles hiked:  8.23mi  

Total miles to date: 62.20mi
Total Elevation Gain:  12,152ft
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 2:20:48 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote
No backpackers yet?

Wife and I are past Damascus on our NOBO AT thruhike.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 10:44:52 PM EDT
[#44]
Today's hike was a beast. I got a head on a new trailhead the previous week and figured I would go out and just find the first trail that looked tough. Ended up turning around after 2.5 miles. Found out I was on the trail to the summit of lone peak. In the 2.5 miles I gained 2056 ft of elevation. I'm freaking tired.

ETA: Yearly Total 32.2 miles and 8369 ft elevation gained

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 1:54:47 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Today's hike was a beast. I got a head on a new trailhead the previous week and figured I would go out and just find the first trail that looked tough. Ended up turning around after 2.5 miles. Found out I was on the trail to the summit of lone peak. In the 2.5 miles I gained 2056 ft of elevation. I'm freaking tired.

Total 32.2 miles and 8369 ft elevation gained

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/272736/IMG-2675-208632.JPG
View Quote
Damn man we have one trail here that's 2.3mi and 2,000ft climb, which is where last year's Gatlinburg fire originated, ironically named "the chimney tops".  I feel your pain!

It's funny how your trails are so different from ours.  Any trail here is so covered with trees you can't see more than 50ft. And if you do have a view, it'll be through trees in a couple years.

Pretty cool to see snowcapped peaks like that.  I remember our trip to Colorado last year seeing snow in July.  I felt like a complete tourist.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 3:44:13 PM EDT
[#46]
Worked twelve's Saturday and Sunday; Monday is now an off day due to my new work arrangement.
Decided to see how far I go vs. just vegging at the house. Well, they kicked my ass + didn't have enough water in the backpack. Stopped to stay cooled down to avoid dehydration so my time sucked.
But I was out doing the mileage. And will be out again tomorrow.

linkage
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 3:46:56 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote
DAMN!!!  
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 4:47:56 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Worked twelve's Saturday and Sunday; Monday is now an off day due to my new work arrangement.
Decided to see how far I go vs. just vegging at the house. Well, they kicked my ass + didn't have enough water in the backpack. Stopped to stay cooled down to avoid dehydration so my time sucked.
But I was out doing the mileage. And will be out again tomorrow.

linkage
View Quote
You know, your route is very interesting.  I recently did a research paper on the effects of hiking for mind/body/soul and there was an experiment referenced that concluded there's a definite difference between being in nature vs. an urban environment.  The study found that walking in busy areas with lots of traffic produced more bloodflow to the front of the brain, which caused more "rumination" or more brooding in individuals.  I.e. made people more disgruntled.  Whereas walking in natural settings produced the opposite effect.

Just wondering, once you reach the park area, do you feel any noticeable difference in sense of peace, or mindfulness?  Clarity of thought, etc?
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 11:15:11 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
You know, your route is very interesting.  I recently did a research paper on the effects of hiking for mind/body/soul and there was an experiment referenced that concluded there's a definite difference between being in nature vs. an urban environment.  The study found that walking in busy areas with lots of traffic produced more bloodflow to the front of the brain, which caused more "rumination" or more brooding in individuals.  I.e. made people more disgruntled.  Whereas walking in natural settings produced the opposite effect.

Just wondering, once you reach the park area, do you feel any noticeable difference in sense of peace, or mindfulness?  Clarity of thought, etc?
View Quote
I am a lot more alert while along the road. Particularly crossing the street where distracted drivers could turn off the 'main drag' of Jupiter while trying to text/call/exit simultaneously. At that point, it is just get that part of the jaunt done and over without being a statistic.

Not sure it would be 'brooding' but hyperalert for stupid behavior on the part of drivers. Once I get off into the true park area, I can shut off that then just relax with just me and the walk.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 11:37:38 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
DAMN!!!  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

DAMN!!!  
That's yearly total fella. Keeping a running tab at the end of each post
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top