Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/21/2011 4:25:19 PM EDT
Just ordered a Singlenest backpacking hammock from Eagle Nest Outfitters and was wondering if anyone here chosses a hammock over a tent when backpacking. Im fairly new to it, but after sleeping in one overnight,.. I will never go back to sleeping on the ground!
Link Posted: 4/21/2011 4:39:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Take a look at "asymmetrical hammocks" like those from Hennessy. You'll never sleep on the ground again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SNOFN1NNos
Link Posted: 4/21/2011 5:42:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Check out the hammock forums.

http://www.hammockforums.net/
Link Posted: 4/21/2011 5:57:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Check out the hammock forums.

http://www.hammockforums.net/

Definitely this. Also, the "assymetric" part of Hennessy Hammocks is referring more to the bugnet. I have an ENO Singlenest and Doublenest, the double is better for a diagonal lay (you'll lay more flat).....both are more comfortable than tents to me though. Quite a bit to be learned of hammock camping from hammockforums.net. You'll be wanting a different set of tree straps than the slap straps for camping, they stretch like crazy with the slightest bit of moisture, Jacks R Better makes some great ones......or you can get 20-25 feet of poly/pro webbing and make your own fast and cheap.
Link Posted: 4/21/2011 6:59:18 PM EDT
[#4]
The only time you'll catch me on the ground is when I'm car camping with the family. If I'm on the trail I sleep in a hammock. I recently dumped my Hennessy Explorer Ultralight in favor of a Light Hiker from Tree To Trail Gear. I had an opportunity to try out the Switchback which is its big brother at a hammockforums hang and fell in love. Several of us did, actually, and have since made purchases. Two others I know that changed gear dropped their Warbonnet Blackbirds. I'm very happy with it so far. Sleeps very comfortably and I'll be taking it on the AT with me next month.

Look at OES for tarps. The MacCat Deluxe is awesome. Hennessy tarps suck if you want anything more than staying dry inside the hammock. You need something different if you want to be able to get out and sit on the ground or something to fix dinner. I guess they have larger tarps now but the original stock ones were way too small.
Link Posted: 4/22/2011 5:25:08 AM EDT
[#5]
The only time I sleep on the ground now is if there are no trees for ten miles.  I don't save any weight, but the restfulness of the sleep I get more than makes up for that.

Cold temps are no problem with the right equipment––lowest temp I have slept with a hammock has been 5 below 0.

Definitely check out HammockForum.net.  There are a lot of friendly, helpful folks over there.
Link Posted: 4/23/2011 4:41:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Another that prefers to swing in trees instead of sleep on the hard rocky ground.

If the wide would.let me I'd have a hammock in the bedroom. I occasionally just hang them in the front yard for a good nights rest.

Here is my byer mosquito with a cheap poly tarp.  I've upgraded traps since then.

Link Posted: 4/23/2011 4:57:56 AM EDT
[#7]
I love my hammocks! This was from the very first time we set them up. I can't imagine sleeping on the ground unless its really cold.

This is with my thereisnospoon hex shaped tarp. He does very good work.
Link Posted: 4/23/2011 6:09:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/23/2011 10:18:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

about that tree to tree switchback....
http://stores.tttrailgear.com/-strse-Hammocks/Categories.bok

is the 1.1 vs 1.9 just the thickness of the nylon?

It's the weight of the fabric. 1.1 oz vs 1.9 oz per square yard. The Switchback comes in double layer and single layer. The double has an inner layer that (at least in the case of my Light Hiker) is held in place with Velcro. I slip a thin foam pad (wind block) and emergency blanket (vapor barrier) in between the bottom and this middle layer and then lay on the top layer.

also what is the purpose of " Set of two 10' Whoopie Slings"?  

Whoopie slings are made (typically) from 7/64" Amsteel. It's a very light, very strong line. The Whoopie has a fixed eye on one end and an adjustable eye on the other. With the Switchback being a gathered hammock the fixed end is through the channel on the hammock and run through itself. The loose end of the adjustable loop feeds inside the line which acts as a constrictor band. Releasing tension allows you to easily make length adjustments. When the line comes under tension it's not going anywhere.

This is how I connect my Whoopies to the tree huggers. I used ring buckles on my Hennessy which is very fast but I'm quickly starting to like the Whoopies. My hammock is hanging right now. I'll try to get out and take some pics if you'd like.

I recently did a little write-up of the Light Hiker on my blog. The hammocks are very similar and it might give you a better idea.

ETA: Here are pics I just took of my setup.

Fixed end looped through the end channel on the hammock

Adjustable loop connected to toggles

Tail coming out of adjustable bury
Link Posted: 4/23/2011 1:10:50 PM EDT
[#10]
^^^^^^

What's the tail for, rainwater runoff?
Link Posted: 4/23/2011 1:25:27 PM EDT
[#11]
It's just the end of the adjustable loop. You'd want a drip line just before the hammock since the water could still travel down the whoopie to the hammock.
Link Posted: 4/23/2011 1:34:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
It's just the end of the adjustable loop. You'd want a drip line just before the hammock since the water could still travel down the whoopie to the hammock.

Oh, okay.  I think I got it now.  The rope passes through itself.  I didn't notice that part before.
Link Posted: 4/23/2011 2:23:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Exactly.
Link Posted: 4/23/2011 7:41:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/25/2011 11:09:24 AM EDT
[#15]
I slept very uncomfortably in a hammock years ago and vowed that I'd never do it again.  Enough people have shared so many positive experiences that I'm very close to giving it another go.
Link Posted: 4/25/2011 12:22:27 PM EDT
[#16]
What type of hammock?

I can't imagine being on the ground or having to scout for the "perfect" site. If I'm hiking I just need to find two trees (not really hard in the forest). I don't have to stop at a "campsite". My "campsite" is where I choose to make it.

Last night I slept in the backyard again. I'd set the alarm on my phone but the battery died overnight (it was already low but I figured incorrectly it'd last the night). Anyway, the point is that my alarm didn't go off and I was sleeping so well that it was after 8 before I got up. Fortunately I'd planned on working from home today.
Link Posted: 4/25/2011 12:46:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/25/2011 1:17:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I slept very uncomfortably in a hammock years ago and vowed that I'd never do it again.  Enough people have shared so many positive experiences that I'm very close to giving it another go.

You have to lay in them properly.  If you are bent up like a banana you are laying wrong.

Lay across the hammock at a diagonal and you will flatten out and be comfortable.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 8:51:50 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
They sure are fantastic but then its the cold of winter that will have you back on the ground again and near a fire.

Its the inclimate weather that brings a pack tent into its own. There's something to be said about having a candle to heat your tent, putting your gear in there during a rain storm, getting out of the weather to change clothes or heck fix a hot meal, or heck share your shelter with you, the wife, and the dog/kid.

Tj

I used to think that, but the only one I'll give you now is the family bit. I find I sleep better in a hammock during the summer because of the air circulation. In winter the addition of an under quilt provides me with a "cocoon" of warmth. I sleep like a baby and feel my h more rested year round than on the ground. The only time I sleep on the ground any more is when I break out the expedition tent and cots.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 9:35:39 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/18/2011 4:21:37 AM EDT
[#21]
I read Andy McNab's book on his experiences in the SAS. They used hammocks exclusively, using a rain fly and a second hammock to stow their gear on, IIRC underneath the one they were sleeping on. Definitely easier to pack than a tent.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/19/2011 9:08:52 AM EDT
[#22]
I've got a Hennessy Hammock Expedition Asym hammock that I've used on a couple of Arfcom hikes in Florida and in camping in South Georgia.

I've had it down to about the mid 40's using a CCF pad underneath me for insulation and wiggling into my sleeping bag.  

It's excellent in warm weather as it keeps you cooler than you would be on the ground, but in warm weather you also can get bugs biting you through the nylon.

So either in hot weather or cold weather I still have found that I need something between me and nylon, just for different reasons.  On a warm night I'll usually put my sleeping bag underneath me to protect from mosquitos.

I would like to hang some netting under there the next trip I take it on and see now that works out.
Link Posted: 5/19/2011 12:47:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
in warm weather you also can get bugs biting you through the nylon.

Permethrin is king.
Link Posted: 5/19/2011 6:06:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Here are some pics from this past weekend trip. There was some thunder storms Saturday night and I managed to stayed dry.

ENO Singlenest, www.mosquitohammock.com camo tarp, whoopie slings and tree huggers.

My fat ass asleep (5'11" 225). Pic taken by another member here.

Link Posted: 5/21/2011 8:46:28 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

I've got a Hennessy Hammock Expedition Asym hammock that I've used on a couple of Arfcom hikes in Florida and in camping in South Georgia.

I've had it down to about the mid 40's using a CCF pad underneath me for insulation and wiggling into my sleeping bag.  

I just used this same setup for the first time last night @ 42ish degrees with constant rain and some light wind.  I woke up dry and almost too warm (wearing poly thermals)...except for my feet.  I cut my sleeping pad down to shoulder-to-knee length to reduce bulk on my pack, and my feet paid the price.  Buying a thermarest or similar soon to fix this issue.

I need a bigger rainfly/tarp for when I'm not camping out of the back of a truck.

All in all, this is the best money I've ever spent on any sort of tent.  Hopefully it lasts.

Link Posted: 5/28/2011 11:37:12 PM EDT
[#26]

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f277/sp00kyd0g/ARFCOM%20CAMPING/DSC03125.jpg[/quote]

Ive got that same Claytor tarp for one of my hammocks. The other one in an AHE Shangra La
Link Posted: 5/28/2011 11:51:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Used the hell out of them in Kenya in the Marines.  We don't get issued tents, just bivvie sacks for sleeping bags.  After seeing all the weird creepy crawly crap on the ground, it was a life saver our SSgt made us pack survival hammocks in our gear.

Pull the trucks 12 feet or so apart, and hook them across the roll bars.  It was great!  The other platoons had all sorts of problems with millipedes and bugs and such.
Link Posted: 5/29/2011 10:50:15 AM EDT
[#28]
My old lady bought me a eno double nest a few years back for fathers day... Boy has she grown to regret that decision ... Between the 100s of dollars "wasted" (as she calls it) on rainflys, netting, slings, straps, biners and quilts,  and of course the 2 indoor hammocks, she cringes every time I mention the word hammock, as she knows its either results in me leaving for a few days, spending more money, or more holes in the walls, none of witch she is fond of..
Link Posted: 5/30/2011 10:34:59 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 6/7/2011 3:31:29 PM EDT
[#30]
I'm about to order up a Warbonnet....
Link Posted: 6/8/2011 7:43:21 AM EDT
[#31]
My Light Hiker, Maccat Deluxe, and summer incubator just did me proud on the AT for a week.
Link Posted: 6/9/2011 3:13:21 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I'm about to order up a Warbonnet....

I've been hammock camping for years and the only time I pull out the tent is for the kids or when it's below 40 degrees.

The Warbonnet Blackbird has been my go-to hammock for a few years; I'm going to pick up another for my wife, she's been using a Hennessy, but the double layered bottom really helps to secure a sleeping pad during cooler temps.  I also like the fact that you can sit in it like a chair.  A larger (separate) fly is the best way to still function during inclement weather.  I'm currently using a 10x12 silnylon (I think Equinox) fly...it makes a very functional awning for securing gear and cooking.

As a father of two plus the wife...I'll never be the primary packer a four man tent!  Everybody now has their own hammock and my pack weight has dropped signficantly.  Another cool option is that you can still set your hammock up like a tent (difficult with the bottom entry Hennessy's).  I've used a footprint and hung it low enough to sit on the ground...just like a bug bivi; you could probably prop it up with just hiking polls or saplings, but it's easy enough to do and gives you the cold-weather option without packing the additional under quilt.  Your fly still serves as a wind/rain barrier.  Another great option with hammocks (and separate rain fly), is that you can put up your fly first to get out of the rain and keep your gear dry and then you can both put up and take down your hammock under the protection of the fly...the fly goes up first and comes down last.

ROCK6

Link Posted: 6/13/2011 6:11:18 PM EDT
[#33]
where is a good place to pick up a eno single? so far i have found one on sportsmans guide for $189
Link Posted: 6/13/2011 6:25:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
where is a good place to pick up a eno single? so far i have found one on sportsmans guide for $189

Depends. You want just the hammock or the whole kit? That price is the whole kit. Gander sells the single for $50. I don't know about the ENO tarps but I love my MacCat Deluxe. I wouldn't use their slapstraps. They're nylon and stretch. I guess the tarp is the expensive part of their equation since the hammock is cheap, the straps are cheap, and I can't imagine the netting being very expensive.
Link Posted: 6/14/2011 3:44:42 AM EDT
[#35]
It's almost too easy to make your own gathered end hammock for cheap using knotty's (?) instructions on the hammockforums...

I've made 3 so far and 1 has an integrated bugnet.

I've been getting the materials from diygearsupply.com
Link Posted: 6/14/2011 9:18:08 PM EDT
[#36]
I got two double nest here

mission source
Link Posted: 6/16/2011 9:58:43 AM EDT
[#37]
I've been thinking of getting a hammock for a few months now.  I first got the idea on a Motorcycle forum in a thread about motorcycle camping.  

I don't camp much now, but I would like to.  Right now I take the wife and kids once a year to a camp ground in my In-laws's camper.  I'd rather be sleeping outside than in the camper and I am hoping that if I am doing it, the older kids might want to as well.  I can also think of at least 3 or 4 more times a year that I could use a hammock for sleeping.

Here are some other "issues" to contend with.  I'd like some recomendations, which might just include, "Don't get a Hammock".

1. I weigh 400lbs, and am 6'3". I assume I'll need a "Hammock built for Two"

2. When trying something new, I like to spend as little as possible, until I know it's something I will actually like and use.  I have no problem using a blue Walmart tarp as a rain fly and such just to see if it's something I'll stick with.

3. Carry weight isn't really a concern for me at this junction. Hiking isn't my thing, this would either be vehicle carried or motorcycle carried.

4. I have lower back problems, will hammock sleeping agrivate this?

5. My normal sleeping position is on my side or my stomach. I would assume that hammocking is 99% done on your back.  I'm not sure that I have ever fallen asleep on my back before, seriously, never.

Link Posted: 6/16/2011 10:59:24 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I've been thinking of getting a hammock for a few months now.  I first got the idea on a Motorcycle forum in a thread about motorcycle camping.  

I know a couple of people that do this. We had a guy ride his bike down from TN to camp/hang with us in Central Florida in the Ocala Natl Forest.

Tree To Trail Gear makes the Switchback - 1.9 Double Layer. It's rated to 385. You might contact them and see what they think. The Switchback is very roomy and comfortable. Carry weight matters to me, though, so I own the Light Hiker and I'm very happy.

On the contrary most people with back problems sleep very well. I know people that had back surgery and got rid of their bed and sleep in the time in a hammock now.

5. My normal sleeping position is on my side or my stomach. I would assume that hammocking is 99% done on your back.  I'm not sure that I have ever fallen asleep on my back before, seriously, never.

Not necessarily. I don't know about sleeping on your stomach but I sleep on my side.

Check out hammockforums.net.

Link Posted: 6/16/2011 11:10:15 AM EDT
[#39]
Count me in as a hammock fan.

Yes, I really am a 7 yo little girl.

Link Posted: 6/16/2011 1:24:07 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Here are some pics from this past weekend trip. There was some thunder storms Saturday night and I managed to stayed dry.

ENO Singlenest, www.mosquitohammock.com camo tarp, whoopie slings and tree huggers.

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f277/sp00kyd0g/ARFCOM%20CAMPING/1e970dc3.jpg

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f277/sp00kyd0g/ARFCOM%20CAMPING/5bd32c7b.jpg

My fat ass asleep (5'11" 225). Pic taken by another member here.

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f277/sp00kyd0g/ARFCOM%20CAMPING/DSC03125.jpg

where did you get this stuff from?
Link Posted: 6/16/2011 5:27:37 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I don't camp much now, but I would like to.  Right now I take the wife and kids once a year to a camp ground in my In-laws's camper.  I'd rather be sleeping outside than in the camper and I am hoping that if I am doing it, the older kids might want to as well.  I can also think of at least 3 or 4 more times a year that I could use a hammock for sleeping.

Here are some other "issues" to contend with.  I'd like some recomendations, which might just include, "Don't get a Hammock".

2. When trying something new, I like to spend as little as possible, until I know it's something I will actually like and use.  I have no problem using a blue Walmart tarp as a rain fly and such just to see if it's something I'll stick with.

3. Carry weight isn't really a concern for me at this junction. Hiking isn't my thing, this would either be vehicle carried or motorcycle carried.

I started out with a cheap hammock and a blue poly tarp.  The blue poly tarps are pretty noisy in the rain but they work fine otherwise.  Still use the cheap hammocks.

Back problems?  My own bed at home I wake up with back pain most every morning.  Sleep in my hammock and no back pain at all.

Sleeping position? I normally sleep on my side in a bed, but sleep comfortably on my back in a hammock, side sleeping is possible, never tried stomach.
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 3:14:29 AM EDT
[#42]
I did some reading at hammockforums last night.  One guy said that he was over 350 and someone suggested he buy two of some cheap hammock that walmart supposedly sells and use them together.  It was also suggested that he could put a mat or some insulation between the two layers to act as an underquilt.  I couldn't find the hammock in question at walmart.com, so I'll have to check the store and see what they have.

I also read some things on making your own from a roll of fabric.  I'd like some bug protection, so I'm not sure about that.  I can sew, but not that well.
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 4:12:53 AM EDT
[#43]
Other than the fact that a Hennessy hammock with net is better than Ray's gear, this is all you need to know.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwvNoxKi428

Ray Mears
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 6:42:03 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I did some reading at hammockforums last night.  One guy said that he was over 350 and someone suggested he buy two of some cheap hammock that walmart supposedly sells and use them together.  It was also suggested that he could put a mat or some insulation between the two layers to act as an underquilt.  I couldn't find the hammock in question at walmart.com, so I'll have to check the store and see what they have.

I also read some things on making your own from a roll of fabric.  I'd like some bug protection, so I'm not sure about that.  I can sew, but not that well.

You definitely want something under you to keep the wind off your back. It's amazing how a tiny breeze can chill you. I never had much luck with a blue pad, though. I'd probably buy a light pad from Gossamer Gear as it's not as stiff.

You can certainly make your own. A gathered end hammock shouldn't be too hard. I haven't been able to find silnylon at Joann's but it can easily be found online. You can also buy a kit. This is rated to 250 but I bet if you made it a double layer you'd be ok.

Quoted:
Other than the fact that a Hennessy hammock with net is better than Ray's gear, this is all you need to know.

Personally if you go with a Hennessy I'd get the newer zippered model instead of the bottom entry.
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 12:01:19 PM EDT
[#45]
Here's my first attempt at making a hammock:

Its made out of the 1.9 oz that Joanne's sells suspension is amsteel blue and im using polyester straps as the tree huggers.

The amsteel is attached to the tree huggers with a marlin spike hitch using a ~3-4" section of carbon fiber arrow shafts:

The arrow shafts have held me up just fine at ~210 lbs, while the hammock itself has held over 250.
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 1:14:51 PM EDT
[#46]
That's the way I do it. My shafts are 2.5". Yours looks huge in that pic. Remember to put the suspension on the knot, not on the toggle.

I really like amsteel. Just got an order of 160' in various colors. I figure that'll give me some projects to work on over the weekend.
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 1:19:34 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

http://i52.tinypic.com/aoxgeb.jpg

Its made out of the 1.9 oz that Joanne's sells suspension is amsteel blue and im using polyester straps as the tree huggers.

The amsteel is attached to the tree huggers with a marlin spike hitch using a ~3-4" section of carbon fiber arrow shafts:

http://i54.tinypic.com/11cbg5z.jpg

The arrow shafts have held me up just fine at ~210 lbs, while the hammock itself has held over 250.

How did you attach the netting to it?

Link Posted: 6/18/2011 4:32:04 AM EDT
[#48]
I have a Hennesy it's great.

Safari Asym.  cool and comfy.
Link Posted: 6/18/2011 5:43:16 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://i52.tinypic.com/aoxgeb.jpg

http://i54.tinypic.com/11cbg5z.jpg

How did you attach the netting to it?

Sewn all the way around except for ~53" in the center on the RHS and the last 3 or so inches on all edges closest to the gather.

I just put the end of the hemmed bugnet in the amsteel loops that hold it up.

Figured that was easier and I could put in a ridgeline or remove it easier as well.

If I had known how easy it was to do a zipper, I may have made it so I could remove one whole side and flip it over to the other.

I want to make a lighter one now...

Link Posted: 6/21/2011 7:35:59 PM EDT
[#50]
I am planning on going the hammock route this year.  I used to use hammocks exclusively but went the tent route for the last 15 years.  I have found a few hammocks I like, and since I am a really big hiker I need the extra weight capabilities.  Here goes...

Hammock

Two person 450 lb rated under 1 pound pack weight

I will use my old moquito bar for bugs, but will probably sew in my own bug sheild over the winter.

I am thinking of a rain fly tarp, but that ups the price, I may just use my old tried and true army poncho, we will see.

Even with a bought tarp the price will be below 100 bucks.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top