Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/14/2010 5:38:23 AM EDT
Between 1:30a and 3:00a I was woken to several different owls. The call was the "who cooks for you" Barred owl. I couldn't sleep through the racket and finally got up and paid attention. I identified 7 different birds. Is this normal for them to congregate? Also walking dogs just before sunrise I encountered an injured adult raccoon hiding in a culvert. So my question is do Barred owls predate on larger mammals such as an adult raccoon? If so do they work cooperatively in such predation?
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 5:45:28 AM EDT
some of the ones in my back woods are fucking HUGE. I mean dog size.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 7:03:15 AM EDT
Originally Posted By mrrick:
some of the ones in my back woods are fucking HUGE. I mean dog size.

I had one fly by my face while sitting in a tree stand deer huning once. I bet this thing had a wing span of about 4 feet and and was pretty hefty. Scared the shit out of me as it was at dawn and was juuuuussssstttt light enough to see that I almost got fucked up. It was literally about 5 feet from my face.

Had another one in a tree about 20 feet away one time just sit and stare at me for about 2 hours!! I think it was trying to take my soul, LOL

They are pretty cool though.

J-

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 7:06:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/14/2010 7:08:50 AM EDT by TomJefferson]
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 9:24:57 AM EDT
Interesting story TJ. Been living here for nearly 13 years and while seeing owls frequently I have always considered them to be solitary hunters. Granted I live way out in the sticks and expect to see things like this. We also see Great Grays on a migratory basis but that is pretty short term and never more than one at a time. Last night was a new experience. I'm pretty sure there were 7 different birds. The generic web info I can Google does indicate they are territorial so the Owl wars were definitely on but I never would have guessed they'd take on an adult 'coon Around here the problem with vanishing small woodland game is more than likely feral cats and I would welcome the owls decimating those little b*st*rds.
Top Top