Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/30/2010 7:01:31 AM EDT
I would like to know if anyone out there has winter RV'ing experince and what are some helpful tips you may have. Im interested mostly in how you keep your gray and black water tanks from freezing, also keeping your sewage line from freezing?
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 7:29:32 AM EDT
[#1]
tag
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 7:24:43 PM EDT
[#2]
I use my Coach all the time in the winter.  Not knowing what kind of RV you have more specific info will be limited.  

You can purchase heating pads to place on all your tanks..black, gray, & fresh.  I also have a heater in my water compartment where all the valves are.  A drop light will keep that bay warm enough to keep your water pump from freezing.  Keep your heat on inside your RV.  Keep your doors open to your sinks if it is really cold.  Any exposed pipes will need to be insulated.  The heating pads, or extra heaters in the bays will draw quite a bit of power.  So make sure you have plenty of fuel for your generator to charge the batteries back up, unless you have electrical hook ups.

Your sewer hose will need to be emptied right after you dump your tanks.  Do not leave it out to freeze up.  Empty the tanks, empty the hose and put it away.  Same goes for your water inlet hose.

There are heater tape options that you can use to wrap your pipes.  There are some on the market that do not use a lot of power.  Heater tape, heaters, heat pads, can run your batteries down quickly.  Especially when your running your furnace.  Keep your batteries maintained and up to snuff.  Any weakness will be readily seen when it gets cold.
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 3:08:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Use rv and marine anti freeze the pink stuff that is non toxic
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 7:59:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Go to www.rv.net and search thru there.

More info in this one thread than you probably need:  http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/24160748/gotomsg/24161082.cfm#24161082

Only other site I spend time on besides ARFCOM.  

Been camping in RVs for nine years now - learned as much from that site about camping as I have about ARs here.  Camped my 5th wheel last three New Years Eves with friends and two years ago went down to 8 degree F with 25 Knot winds!  It was chilly!

Have fun - camping year-round is the only way  to go.

FH
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:16:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 2:44:00 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a slide in camper by Lance.   It has ducts for the heater that blow into the tank compartments and one duct that blows on the water pump.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top