Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/1/2015 3:46:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ziegenbock]

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/catalog/product/view/id/19068/s/marlin-x7-308win-70386/category/4459/

SKU: 51174
UPC: 026495776206
MFR#: 70386

Capacity: 4+1
Action: Centerfire bolt action, Pro-FireTM adjustable trigger system; fluted bolt
Stock: Pillar-bedded black synthetic with raised cheek piece and Soft-Tech™ recoil pad
Barrel: 22” precision button rifled, target crown (6 grooves)
Twist Rate: 1:12"
Overall Length: 42"
Weight: 6¼ lbs

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/catalog/product/view/id/19069/s/marlin-x7-243win-70384/category/4459/

SKU: 51175
UPC: 026495776107
MFR#: 70384

Capacity: 4+1
Action: Centerfire bolt action, Pro-FireTM adjustable trigger system; fluted bolt
Stock: Pillar-bedded black synthetic with raised cheek piece and Soft-Tech™ recoil pad
Barrel: 22” precision button rifled, target crown (6 grooves)
Twist Rate: 1:10"
Overall Length: 42"
Weight: 6¼ lbs
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 11:21:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ceddie] [#1]
I would love to see some 1st hand reviews.

I don't know that it equals a precision rifle but is it up to the task of a 'woods' gun?
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 11:19:04 AM EDT
[#2]
I have an XL7 30-06. It's a good beater hunting rifle but I wouldn't use it for anything else.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 5:52:47 PM EDT
[#3]
I had the heavy barrel .308 and it was a tack driver. I traded it and regretted it ever since.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 7:39:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By lucky_dog:
I have an XL7 30-06. It's a good beater hunting rifle but I wouldn't use it for anything else.
View Quote

mine shoots, and shoots well... 1/2 minute groups with some consistency < MOA if im doing my part.

that said, the factory stock is complete garbage for use with a bipod. its fine for off hand shooting (field use), i ended up throwing it in a boyds and bedded it, im happy with it for a target rifle (knowing its limitations).

after 10 rounds of hot 30-06 pushing a 208 amax in a rapid fire situation the barrel will get hot and raise up. I look at it like its getting an erection, this shift is .8 mils @ 600yds, but if i pace myself i can keep the barrel cool enough not to get a rise out of it.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 9:18:06 PM EDT
[#5]
I've been eye ballin' the Marlin XS7 308 for a while myself................... The price is phenomenal too! For under $300.00 that leaves a hell of a lot of room for accessories!!!
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 1:28:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By truculenity:

mine shoots, and shoots well... 1/2 minute groups with some consistency < MOA if im doing my part.

that said, the factory stock is complete garbage for use with a bipod. its fine for off hand shooting (field use), i ended up throwing it in a boyds and bedded it, im happy with it for a target rifle (knowing its limitations).

after 10 rounds of hot 30-06 pushing a 208 amax in a rapid fire situation the barrel will get hot and raise up. I look at it like its getting an erection, this shift is .8 mils @ 600yds, but if i pace myself i can keep the barrel cool enough not to get a rise out of it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By truculenity:
Originally Posted By lucky_dog:

My experience  mirrors yours... except my son has the XS-7 in 7mm-08.  With hand loads I watched him shoot a couple sub MOA groups at 200 yards prone using hand loads.  Now before I post something that gets me called out on the MOA ALL DAY LONG CHALLENGE, let me say this was done on one specific day of shooting and we have not attempted to duplicate the results.

I shot a nice buck at about 150 yards last year and the rifle hit POA/POI... can't ask for more than that.

The XS-7 is small, compact, and makes a great tree stand or ground blind gun.  The bolt cycles extremely smooth and the factory trigger is quite nice.  For the money, I think they can not be beat, except perhaps when Wal-Mart puts the 700 ADL on sale at $300.00, which happens on rare occasions.  I just have too many rifles or I would buy a second one.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 6:09:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Well, for $250 sounds like I should just jump on it.  I would like to have a bull barrel on it, but for the price, I can just get a nice scope and see how far out I can go with it.  I really only plan on shooting surplus ammo or anything I can pick up at wally with this.  Then, maybe move into something a little nicer down the road.  Thanks for all the replies!!!
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 10:34:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Savage makes a heavy barrel Axis as well that you can probably find for $325
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 3:38:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Ok guys! You did it again!! I saw the 22-250 heavy barrel and now I'm gonna have to get it!! That one runs just a tick over $300 and comes with the one piece mount. I have a real nice Simmons Pro Hunter 6x21x44 MIL dot scope with Burris Xtreme rings just sitting in the safe that would work perfect on a 22-250. So, thanks a lot!! I'll post reviews as soon as a I can.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 9:43:20 PM EDT
[#10]
The Marlin X7 70336 will be here on Thursday!! After doing a bit more research I was really sold on this one. According to the website it has a pillar bedded stock and Their adjustable Pro-Fire trigger. It also comes with a one piece mount. I cannot find what brand or MOA it is but if it's not what I want I can change it out. We'll see how it runs soon................
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 10:02:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr    I'm about to become upset with this weather! I was supposed to get this new rifle Thursday but the girl at the FEDEX hub said it's stuck in Memphis. Something about a freaking snow storm!!!! I will sure be glad when this freaking winter is over!! I also have a couple of customer orders in this delivery so I had to tell them they'd have to wait too.

My tracking app is now showing delivery date as N/A. So, I have no clue as to when it's supposed to be delivered. I am getting ready to order a Savage for another build so I guess I shouldn't get too excited and just be patient!!  Lol!! This is worse than when I was a kid waiting on a new toy!!!!  
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 3:03:00 PM EDT
[#12]
I had the X-7 in .243 Winchester for a while.  It's a good rifle with nice trigger and it was very accurate.  The plastic stock sucks but everything else is pretty good.  I got mine from LGS for $229 + tax/BG check, etc. when they had a big sale.  I mounted a Nikon Prostaff 4-12X40mm scope on it and with the Winchester factory 100gr ammo I could get 1" from 100 yards consistently.  Federal and Remington ammo didn't do as well but still under 1 3/4" groups.  I used it to hunt hogs and it was very practical field gun.  I let a out of town friend use it on two hog hunts and both times he got a hog from 100+ yards away.  After the second hunt he gave me some cash and kept the rifle.

Link Posted: 3/9/2015 10:59:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: supv26] [#13]
Ok, I stopped at the FEDEX hub and picked it up!! Woohoo!! Anyway got it to the shop, logged it in and started to check it out.

Stock:  I do not like the stock!! Cheap flimsy plastic. It's basically a hollow plastic stock. There are steel sleeves that the stock bolts comes up through to bolt it to the recoil lug and receiver. The stock also presses against the barrel so it is not floated. Not impressed at all with the stock.

Scope base:  Ok, it's a no-name and appears to be about 20 MOA. It is not marked anywhere on it, nothing, nada, zilch......... Four flat blade slot screws hold it down and only one had thread lock on it and none were torqued, just snugged a bit. Fit was good because after I remounted it I could see it fits the top of the receiver very well. I give that a thumbs up.

Barrel:  Very heavy! That's what I wanted. Target crown looks good. Finish is smooth bluing. The barrel nut looks like a Savage set up. It is 26" long and the 6 groove rifling looks good.

Action/bolt. Looks like a Remington bolt and action. Smooth bolt action and the flutes are straight. Nothing fancy on the regular size bolt handle and knob.

Trigger: I was impressed with that. It was cranked in as far as it would go and according to the book that is about three pounds. I do not have a pull gauge so I cannot test it. I took the set screw all the way out and turned it back to where it just touched the trigger. The book says if you back it out too much the trigger will not work. I set it to just touching the trigger and it's very light! I do notice the very slightest amount of creep but I can live with that! I think I am going to really like the trigger.

I installed a Simmons Pro-Hunter 6-21 x 44 scope using Burris Xtreme rings. They mounted easily and look good sitting on this rifle.

I'll try to run it as soon as the mud settles a bit so I can get out in my range. I'll zero this one at 100 yards so I can use the mil-dot reticle as true mil. This scope has target turrets but they are MOA so it's a bit confusing for me to figure it.

I've put a bipod on it but I'm sure I'll need to run it from a bag due to the stock and barrel touching near the end of the stock. I was going to see if I could work out a little material to float it but I'll shoot it first to see what happens............................................
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 10:04:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Got to shoot my X7 today and I am pleased with the results! I bored sighted it from the bench and had it on center at 100 with 5 shots. I then shot a three shot group at 300 yards and and dialed the reticle to that and zero'd it at 300 yards. Dead on!!! Woohoo!!

That was 8 shots..............  this was shots 9, 10, and 11 at 500 yards!!!

I did some more shooting and had pretty much the same results!!  I am going to get a new stock for it but the only thing I can find that is a drop in stock is made by Boyds. It's a laminate wooden thumb hole with a aluminum base/bedded. I'm not a fan of a thumb hole stock so I want to do a bit more research.........

Overall it's a good shooter!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top