Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 8/22/2017 2:23:05 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/22/2017 2:28:11 PM EST by yekcoh]
I took my all brand new DMR this morning.

Larue LT104 and a Leupold optic..

I was very excited. Seeing all the tight groups while zeroing was a joy... until after about 20th shot, I noticed the scope canted in the ring.

Maybe I didn't tighten enough so I re tightened with the star shaped wrench that came with the mount. I was able to tighten.

Nonetheless, the scope still canted in the same direction after a few succeeding rounds. I got mad and came home. Realigned the reticle then tightened more.

My eye balls are literally hurting from aligning the reticle and I would crap my pants if I had to realign the reticle again. At this point, I might as well just weld the scope to the mount, joke.

Is there any agent I can apply around the ring to prevent the scope from rotating/canting without unscrewing?

Thanks,
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 7:24:27 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/22/2017 8:56:22 PM EST by Reorx]
1) Are the rings the right size for the scope tube (I assume so)?

2) Did you use an appropriate torque wrench/driver to torque the ring screws to the appropriate amount recommended by the manufacturer of the rings?

3) Did you use a thread locker (loctite blue) on the ring screws?
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:55:27 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/22/2017 10:27:55 PM EST by yekcoh]
1) Are the rings the right size for the scope tube (I assume so)?
1 inch yes

2) Did you use an appropriate torque wrench/driver to torque the ring screws to the appropriate amount recommended by the manufacturer of the rings?
I did when I first got it but then I remember the gun falling off from the table shifting the scope backward. Maybe that did something. After that I kept tightening it more and more until today when I took it out to the range and realized that the scope is loose.

3) Did you use a thread locker (loctite blue) on the ring screws?
Larue tactical sends screws with red loctite on the thread
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 6:55:02 AM EST
[Last Edit: 8/23/2017 6:55:47 AM EST by Reorx]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By yekcoh:
...Did you use an appropriate torque wrench/driver to torque the ring screws to the appropriate amount recommended by the manufacturer of the rings?
I did when I first got it but then I remember the gun falling off from the table shifting the scope backward. Maybe that did something.
View Quote
I think you might be onto something here... I would be tempted to take the scope out of the rings and take a caliper to the scope tube... check the diameter in several places along the length of the tube - and at each place, spin the scope to see if it is "out of round" - if it is, the caliper measurement will vary as you spin (rotate) the scope.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 8:01:48 AM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Reorx:
I think you might be onto something here... I would be tempted to take the scope out of the rings and take a caliper to the scope tube... check the diameter in several places along the length of the tube - and at each place, spin the scope to see if it is "out of round" - if it is, the caliper measurement will vary as you spin (rotate) the scope.
View Quote
Just checked and the variance is within 100th of an inch
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:43:14 AM EST
I've coated rings with a thin layer of rubber cement before. It eliminates ring marks. Never had an issue with it.

Make sure you are using a arisaka type tool if you can. It makes the process alot easier.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 6:06:15 PM EST
Thanks for the suggestions.

It turns out I made a retarded mistake. I put the screws in the wrong hole.

Both Leupold and Larue said painter's tape or any sort of insert is unnecessary.

Thanks people.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 10:44:19 AM EST
Glad you got it sorted out and let us know!
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 2:02:29 PM EST
Took out to the range.

It doesn't seem to be canting anymore.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 3:32:43 PM EST
Tally Ho!
Top Top