Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/11/2016 5:43:12 PM EDT
I have decided to change out the barrel in my RPR. It is a .308 and I am going to change it to either a 6.5 Creedmoor or a 7mm-08.
Who should I buy the barrel from? I am ok paying for quality, but I don't want to overpay either.

Thanks,
Steve
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 6:04:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Krieger. Great service and the quality is tough to beat for the money imo.
Krieger
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 7:25:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Obermeyer
Krieger
Lilja
Hart
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 7:57:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: borderpatrol] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By FZJ80:
Obermeyer
Krieger
Lilja
Hart
View Quote

+ Pac-Nor
Shilen
Schneider
Rock Creek
Criterion
Douglas
Bartlein

There are so many great barrel makers in the USA today that you can shop any of these companies (and more) and get a great barrel.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 12:13:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Whichever of the big names that are already in stock somewhere and the one that is the cheapest of them....
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 1:06:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Benchmark will be releasing drop in barrels for the RPR, "coming soon".
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 8:25:52 AM EDT
[#6]
I have had excellent luck with Hart. But as the others have said stick with a good custom BBL builder, and you will be happy with the results from any of them.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 8:49:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By GMZ:
View Quote

Benchmark does excellent work. They built a custom 6.5 Creedmoor on a Stiller Predator Action for me and it's a tac driver!
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 10:51:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By StealthOPS32:

Benchmark does excellent work. They built a custom 6.5 Creedmoor on a Stiller Predator Action for me and it's a tac driver!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By StealthOPS32:
Originally Posted By GMZ:

I have a Brux for my current 6.5 build, but when I get off my ass and finish up my 280 AI Ill be going with Benchmark since they are local to me as well.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 11:19:33 AM EDT
[#9]
I have heard very good things from people who have bought Criterion barrels. A buddy of mine has one in 6.5x47. He said it is easily 1/2 MOA with his shooting abilities and possibly better with an experienced shooter.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 11:24:47 AM EDT
[#10]
LRI

Id get one from this place.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 11:40:02 AM EDT
[#11]
There are a couple options.  People naming blanks aren't really helpful even though they are good names.  The drawings are out there so any good shop should be able to spin one up.  LRI is probably the best value for speed and quality.  You normally can't get speed reasonable cost and quality all at once.

The Criterion barrels will likely be great performers at a great price, but you will have to wait.  I ordered mine the first day they were available which was about two months ago.  I knew their lead time going in.

Since I'm shooting a barrel burner being able to save a little bit was something also involved in my thought process.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 7:00:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: hanklewart] [#12]
Just ordered a Bartlein 22CF with straight taper #15 Hunter class. Cost was $345 and 5-6months wait. They had prompt and helpful costumer service as well. Looking forward to a range report.

I'm converting my 270win deer rifle to 7mm-08 next year. If you reload, the potential for that round is pretty sweet.

Good luck,
HW
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 7:06:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: hanklewart] [#13]
Oops... Double tapped.

Link Posted: 2/13/2016 8:17:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By hanklewart:
Just ordered a Bartlein 22CF with straight taper #15 Hunter class. Cost was $345 and 5-6months wait. They had prompt and helpful costumer service as well. Looking forward to a range report.

I'm converting my 270win deer rifle to 7mm-08 next year. If you reload, the potential for that round is pretty sweet.

Good luck,
HW
View Quote

I hear you on the 7mm-08. As a matter of fact, I am still considering it over the 6.5 Creedmoor. Just can't make up my mind between the 2.
I think there isn't enough difference to matter. I half way want to get the 7mm-08 just to be different
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 9:25:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 10:30:40 PM EDT
[#16]
I ended up placing an order for a 26" 6.5 Creedmoor barrel that will drop in to my RPR from LRI today. Also ordered one of their RPR bolt shrouds.
Now I have to buy some 6.5 Creedmoor dies

Steve
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top