Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/30/2014 5:59:25 PM EDT
This is a question for those of you who have one of the Savage MkII rimfires with the Accutrigger.

Is it a nice rifle?  How accurate is it at 25, 50 and 100 yards?  If you've ever shot it at 200 yards, how did it do?  

How's the stock?  Is it kid-sized or adult male sized?

If you have the target model, how were the sights?
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 7:00:17 PM EDT
[#1]
ok first off I have three FV-SR, BSEV that I got treaded, and TR that was treaded   I have shot accurately to 400 yards  will hold 8 in group or so.... I have a 50 yd range at my house and thay cut cards in half on the regular. I make shots on dove and tree rats in the 150 yr range all the time with the 16 in...I LOVE shooting them suppressed  the key to good accuracy is to find the ammo thay like, match is what mine eat all the time thay tend to like the WOLF extra match..
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 7:02:26 PM EDT
[#2]
TRR-SR here, I can shoot quarters at 50 yards with bulk pack all day long.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_11/334696_savage_mark_2__edit_op__4_28_12.html

A lot of good info here, I need to go through and update it.
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 11:07:51 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a stainless MK2 with a simmons 3x9 scope. I usually bench it at 50 yards and my typical 5 shot groups are about the size of a nickel with cheap ammo.
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 3:57:04 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a MkII TR and I really like it. It's simple and accurate and cheap. The Boyds stock is a lot nicer than the savage Tupperware on other models. My one complaint is my accutrigger is not as crisp as my centerfire versions.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 5:28:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 23pistol23] [#5]
The stock is actually a tad long on LOP for me but I'm not a big guy. The stock plain sucks for cheek weld. You'll need a Boyd's or some type of cheek riser.

Mine has done the best with Fed Ultra Match. 4/5 sub MOA groups at 100yds. It also hits my 4" popper at 200 yds with ease. Haven't grouped it that far though. I was just testing ammo types when I discovered how accurate it was.

Copied from the other thread.

Savage MkII FV-SR
Cheap 3-9x40 scope (looking to get a PA FFP 4x14 mil/mil for it soon)
Cheap bipod
Homemade kydex cheek riser

Best grouping so far at 100 yds.

View Quote
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 5:51:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Trollslayer:
This is a question for those of you who have one of the Savage MkII rimfires with the Accutrigger.

Is it a nice rifle?  How accurate is it at 25, 50 and 100 yards?  If you've ever shot it at 200 yards, how did it do?  

How's the stock?  Is it kid-sized or adult male sized?

If you have the target model, how were the sights?
View Quote

I had to put the DI Products cheek riser on my FV-SR.  The factory stock sucks.  I'm going with a Boyd.  Besides that, I love it.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 10:02:19 PM EDT
[#7]
I put a Boyd stock on mine. Very accurate.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 11:51:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By bradleyswine:
I put a Boyd stock on mine. Very accurate.
View Quote

Agreed. I went ahead and pillar bedded mine with some nylon spacers. Seems to like the Wolf Target and the CCI Std.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 9:58:30 AM EDT
[#9]
You will have to just try a bunch of different ammo. A lot of people like the Wolf MT but mine got bad vertical stringing with it.

Here is a link to my ammo testing thread, sponsored by Slug-O.

http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=6&f=11&t=428439
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 2:24:44 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a regular old boring Mark II (w/ Accutrigger). No special barrel, stock, or any of that.

The regular wood stock on mine fits comfortably for me (not "kid-sized") as a 5'9'', 165 lb. adult.

The thing is a tack driver, especially when you lower the poundage of the trigger down to ~3.5 lbs.

I have a 3-9x40 Nikon Prostaff on it and its an overall great package for an accurate bolt action .22.

Can get the rifle for < $200 and the glass for < $150. Total cost: ~$350.

Link Posted: 1/7/2015 11:32:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Have the MK II FV-SR. A lot of rifle for the money. Very accurate. Like the polymer stock in the field.
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 9:47:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Brand new Savage MK II FV (plastic stock) right out of the box.  Zeroed at 50 yards, adjusted scope for 100 yards and these are the first three shots EVER at 100 yards.  It was windy too.  I'd say it's OK for a cheap rifle.

_DSC3164-Edit by Mozella55, on Flickr" />
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 3:53:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Mozella:
Brand new Savage MK II FV (plastic stock) right out of the box.  Zeroed at 50 yards, adjusted scope for 100 yards and these are the first three shots EVER at 100 yards.  It was windy too.  I'd say it's OK for a cheap rifle.

http://<a href=https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8561/16229578025_e8c543b37f_c.jpg</a>_DSC3164-Edit by Mozella55, on Flickr" />
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/12/2015 7:28:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By 23pistol23:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 23pistol23:
Originally Posted By Mozella:

http://<a href=https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8561/16229578025_e8c543b37f_c.jpg</a>_DSC3164-Edit by Mozella55, on Flickr" />

Yep, these rifles definitely shoot lights out.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 3:26:10 PM EDT
[#15]

My Mk II FVT. Replaced the flimsy black plastic stock with this heavy, stiff Match stock from Sharp Shooters Supply. It took a long time to get the order filled, but it was worth it.

They custom-fitted an Anschütz rail to my order for only $20.00 extra. I use the rifle for Mini-Palma competition and it fits me perfectly.

I have lots of rifles, but this is the only one that I consider to be perfect.

Link Posted: 1/14/2015 8:47:00 PM EDT
[#16]
BikerNut, my hat's off to you for the superb stock replacement.  I have
over 50 years of position shooting in rimfire/center fire competition and can
say your project gun is one of the better ones to come along in a very
long time.

I wish you happiness and success with your creation.

Ted
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 4:15:30 PM EDT
[#17]

Originally Posted By BikerNut:

http://www.greatanswers.com/personal/SavageMkII_1.jpg

My Mk II FVT. Replaced the flimsy black plastic stock with this heavy, stiff Match stock from Sharp Shooters Supply. It took a long time to get the order filled, but it was worth it.

http://www.greatanswers.com/personal/SavageMkII_2.jpg

They custom-fitted an Anschütz rail to my order for only $20.00 extra. I use the rifle for Mini-Palma competition and it fits me perfectly.

I have lots of rifles, but this is the only one that I consider to be perfect.

View Quote
fine looking rifle right there!!!

Link Posted: 1/15/2015 4:47:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TxRabbitBane] [#18]
Bought mine to shoot rabbits with a can, so haven't run any match ammo through it yet.  I'm out of the good stuff, I think, unless there is a box of Russian in my ammo box.

Sighting it in, 1"@50y wasn't difficult.  Using good ammo, bagging it right, and really trying I'm sure it will do better.

As a "precision" .22, the factory nylon stock sucks. For my purpose, however, it's fine. If I was really going to shoot that rifle seriously, it would have to go.

The accutrigger doesn't really stack up against a real match trigger, IMO, but for an off-the-shelf rifle it's pretty darn good.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:44:43 PM EDT
[#19]
I just picked up another Savage, a Mark II BTVLSS and am waiting on my scope to come in. Every Savage rifle I've owned has been accurate.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top