Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/19/2015 1:32:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CavScout8]
I own a Remington 700 that's built up as a medium grade precision rifle. It still has the factory X-Pro 'adjustable' trigger.

My issue, the trigger's adjustment range is from 4.5lb to 4.5lb. It doesn't adjust whatsoever.

I'm a paranoid F, and think it'll probably come back micro-stamped or something. Lol, I know. But my trigger kinda sucks, and Rem kinda deserves to pay for their junk design + lies.

What triggers are the 'recall' triggers being replaced with? X-Pro's that have the same non-adjusting issues? Or ones that at least adjust? Or might?

OR, is it a total waste of time to send it in with what guys have been getting back? And I shouldn't bother until someday I drop a Jewel trigger in?

Thanks for any feedback you have!
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:37:12 PM EDT
[#1]
All they're replaced with is another X Mark trigger.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:45:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ziarifleman:
All they're replaced with is another X Mark trigger.
View Quote

Any reports like "the one I had didn't adjust much but this new one is great!" ?

Lol
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:51:34 PM EDT
[#3]
I wouldnt waste the time. Just spend the cash for a Timney....
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:52:29 PM EDT
[#4]
They all adjust, but there's a fair bit of detail involved in doing it.

I've confidently adjusted them down below 2#, but that requires much more specialized work than just fiddling with screws.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:37:48 PM EDT
[#5]

I've confidently adjusted them down below 2#, but that requires much more specialized work than just fiddling with screws.
View Quote

Screw* correct? There's only one adjustment screw that they INTEND for you to use?

I'm not skilled/confident enough to mess with all three adjustment points to truly tune one. But... I may know someone who is. Very qualified LGS who has mentioned he'll only work on triggers for people he knows and trusts. I don't know if he can do this, or has enough faith to risk his business and freedom on me; but is it worth a try? He's worked on my rifle before and done very well by me.

Divided priorities and funds aren't allowing for a new Jewel trigger yet.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 3:47:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By CavScout8:

Screw* correct? There's only one adjustment screw that they INTEND for you to use?

I'm not skilled/confident enough to mess with all three adjustment points to truly tune one. But... I may know someone who is. Very qualified LGS who has mentioned he'll only work on triggers for people he knows and trusts. I don't know if he can do this, or has enough faith to risk his business and freedom on me; but is it worth a try? He's worked on my rifle before and done very well by me.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CavScout8:

The root of this current mess was supposedly the thread locker used on the sear engagement screw, and let me tell you, that was some hellacious stuff.
The screw had to be practically glowing before the thread locker decomposed.

So, they clean that off, put red Loctite on it, and that's the fix.

Honestly, buying a Timney isn't a bad way to go, either.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:11:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CavScout8] [#7]
Ight, I had already dismissed the Timney triggers based off bad scores on Brownells, especially vs the Jewel.

I guess I'll have to do more research than that though. If nothing else, the Timney is at least in stock.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:23:32 PM EDT
[#8]
timney has been making triggers for a long time, they have it pretty well figured out. Jewell, of course, makes a fantastic trigger, but I have never had an issue with Timney. Their flat trigger is titties.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:21:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Try a Rifle Basix trigger?
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:13:55 PM EDT
[#10]
my xmark trigger  broke right where the screw goes through the blade. Wasnt worth the warranty effort. Swapped it for a timney.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:28:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By fury413rb:
my xmark trigger  broke right where the screw goes through the blade. Wasnt worth the warranty effort. Swapped it for a timney.
View Quote

I've seen a lot of that. I bumped one against a bench and broke.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:44:36 PM EDT
[#12]
I can't speak for pre-recall stuff, but my post recall Varmint ADL (Cabela's special) has the internal adjustment only X-Mark and it ONLY needed pull weight adjustment and was easily adjusted from silly light to silly heavy. I didn't see just how light I could go, but I did over lighten at first and it was nearly a hair trigger without tripping under impact or hard closings... I did not need to mess with the over travel or seer engagement, they were just fine already. Not quite high end match grade, but much better than I'd expected given the whining I see about these triggers.

Don't get me wrong, it's not on par with the high end stuff, but it easily and safely adjusted to a very nice field grade trigger. I spent way more time verifying safety and then regreasing the bolt lugs and raceway.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 3:31:04 AM EDT
[#13]
OP, stop reading everything you read on the internet... I think it's screwing with your mind.   Just saying.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 5:37:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Zebra312:
I wouldnt waste the time. Just spend the cash for a Timney....
View Quote

I have one of the affected rifles...I contacted Remington and they sent me all of the info and shipping details to send it back. I was planning to upgrade the rifle anyway.

When I talked to Mark Gordon at Short Action Customs and asked about the trigger, he said my best route was to replace with a Timney.  Well I took his advice and along with the other outstanding work that SAC did, the Timney is outstanding.  There is no doubt that this trigger is the best I have ever felt, period.

The best $145 I have ever spent on a rifle component.  

So based on my experience, I just received the action and barrel back from SAC two weeks ago, ditch the XMP trigger and go with a Timney

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 9:53:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Cozmacozmy:
OP, stop reading everything you read on the internet... I think it's screwing with your mind.   Just saying.
View Quote

Hardly. If anything, I know the source of most the hive-minded misinformation I get each day....
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 9:55:26 AM EDT
[#16]
I'll look into Timney triggers. Honestly, more because the Jewel isn't in stock than anything.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top