Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 7/28/2017 9:52:52 AM EST
Good morning everyone, I just picked up a new Rem tactical 700 SA in 223 and am thinking of ditching the Hogue stock for a much better option. I'm not looking at a chassis just a good quality stock under $350. Id keep the Hogue stock if it didn't flex so bad mounted on a bipod. I really leaning towards a Bell and Carlson M40 with the Magpul Hunter running a close second. I like the fact of the BC having the full length bedding block. I'm not sure about the Block on the Magpul, from my understanding it runs from the pistol grip to 1/2 to 3/4 way down the stock. Dollar for dollar what's going to be my best option. This will be primarily be my rifle for training, target and small game shooting.
Thanks
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 10:31:04 AM EST
IMO since it will not be used for any compitition/match shooting or 2 legged mammals, Id suggest the Magpul. They seem to hold up fine with a low recoiling round and the price isnt outragous.
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 10:33:52 AM EST
You could drill and tap a steel flat strap and bed it into the stock from the recoil lug to the front sling swivel. By drilling and tapping the front sling swivel it keeps your bipod a little more ridged.

B&C are good stocks just a little heavy.
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 3:19:55 PM EST
I put a B&C Tactical Medalist on my R700 and it was a great stock. Just made sure the lug properly seated and torqued the action screws to 65 in-lbs. it was a half MOA shooter after that, although I did get lucky and had probably one of the most accurate factory SPS Tacticals I've seen.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 10:16:03 AM EST
Thanks guys. I'm off to the range today. A buddy is meeting me to shoot his 700 308 with the magpul stock to as how i like it. Primary arms has it on sale for under 200 so it's up there on my list.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 9:46:27 PM EST
Just a follow up, I tried the Magpul Hunter on my buddy's 700 in 308 and didn't care for it. So I'll keep looking.
I found online the Stockys Stocks long range composite stock with Hart bedding block, anyone have any experience with it?
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:13:33 AM EST
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:04:09 AM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SaltySourdough:
Grayboe
View Quote
+1
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 11:30:22 AM EST
Those look nice but out of my price range on this rifle.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 2:32:53 PM EST
Stocky's stocks go on sale quite often. They have an aluminum bedding block which helps a great deal when it comes to stiffening.

Bell & Carlson, McMillan and at least three or four other companies make quality stocks that can be found used on many forums.

A used Remington wood stock properly bedded
can work great. My gunsmith reinforced my Remington M700 Police Special's forend with Devcon steel epoxy (part # 10110). He drilled a bunch of 1" diameter holes and filled them with the Devcon. Marine-Tex also works well for bedding.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 5:37:33 PM EST
Originally Posted By kittyhawk:
Those look nice but out of my price range on this rifle.
View Quote
They can be found much cheaper HERE
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 11:00:50 PM EST
Originally Posted By borderpatrol:
Stocky's stocks go on sale quite often. They have an aluminum bedding block which helps a great deal when it comes to stiffening.

Bell & Carlson, McMillan and at least three or four other companies make quality stocks that can be found used on many forums.

A used Remington wood stock properly bedded
can work great. My gunsmith reinforced my Remington M700 Police Special's forend with Devcon steel epoxy (part # 10110). He drilled a bunch of 1" diameter holes and filled them with the Devcon. Marine-Tex also works well for bedding.
View Quote
A friend of mine just did a 700 build with a Stockys. Very nice for the money. I would suggest this as well.
Top Top