Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/13/2015 3:02:16 PM EDT
Was curious if anyone here has built their own barricade to practice from.  

I am looking to get ideas from those of you who have built them.
Why did you build it the way you did?
Do you guys recommend I include anything specific that I should train for?
Post up pics for visual aid.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 3:08:48 PM EDT
[#1]
i've posted this before, but

i built it this way because i wanted to be able to take it in the garage instead of leaving it outside.  so i just sunk some pvc pipes in the ground and drop the legs into them.  it lifts right out when i'm done practicing.

i later numbered the ports and roll a couple old dungeons and dragons dice to pick a couple ports at random, then give myself 10 seconds per port to hit the target
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 1:49:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FALex] [#2]
I have not built my own, but one of our local ranges has a number of sweet barricades to shoot from.  Go youtube "precision rifle competition" and you can get some great ideas.  

The focus of barricades is how to "game" them, which will help you to overcome the handicaps inherent in their structures.  That is why you see many folks running around matches with bags the size of pillows dangling from their belts.  Those things are great when you need to shoot off of xyz barricade without a bipod. This is just one example of many...

Also, make sure to practice a lot of off hand shooting.  Standing, kneeling, sitting cross-legged, and even going prone without the aid of any external supports (holding the rifle up off the ground, no bipods, bags, etc...)  If you're not proficient with the many applications of a quality sling , and how much stability they can add to your positioning, you should definitely research them as well.

Best of luck!
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:17:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Do a search for VTAC Barricade Plans, and you will find plenty of info for that prop.
http://itstactical.com/forum/index.php?/topic/317-vtac-barricades/

You can also cut the main piece of plywood into two pieces with hinges, which makes it all fairly easy to transport and setup.

Million Dollar Question, are you talking about permanently placed or portable props?

Best of Luck,
M Richardson
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 9:46:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By captrichardson:
Do a search for VTAC Barricade Plans, and you will find plenty of info for that prop.
http://itstactical.com/forum/index.php?/topic/317-vtac-barricades/

You can also cut the main piece of plywood into two pieces with hinges, which makes it all fairly easy to transport and setup.

Million Dollar Question, are you talking about permanently placed or portable props?

Best of Luck,
M Richardson
View Quote

For now the barricade will have to be portable until the new house is finished.  Then I should have enough room for a more permanent structure.  

I understand that there will be more positional shooting than just barricades, but I believe I need to focus on one weakness at a time.  For our club matches there won't be much unsupported shots, mostly barricades such as barrels, walls, trees, stumps, shooting sticks, vehicles, farm equipment and more.   For now I am looking to focus on the different types of positions needed to overcome multiple barricades.  

I like Taliv's Idea, I may need to find a way to attach an angled 2x4 as well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top