Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 10/14/2016 9:58:13 AM EDT
All,

Currently breaking in the barrel on my PRI MK12 MOD 0 , and seeing some pretty poor accuracy with black hills mk262 OTM (about 1.5 - 2 inch groups at 100 meters). For a comparison - I have a knights LPR with an 18 inch kreiger barrel, and that rifle with the same ammo shoots sub half MOA if I do my part. Last 10 shoot group I printed with the knights was .77 inches, off a bipod.

Has anyone had these kinds of accuracy issues? I called PRI, and they mentioned that the AE brake could be the issue, and to remove it and reshoot. Has anyone experienced this? I don't plan on buying the AE suppressor, but I'd hate to remove the iconic AE brake.

Any advice is welcome, thanks in advance.

-Freq
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 10:29:18 AM EDT
I'm not sure about the AE brake in particular, but I've certainly have had a muzzle device affect accuracy. It's possible that the change it does to your specific barrel harmonics just puts it in a bad spot.
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 10:57:44 AM EDT
FWIW: I have a MK12 with a Douglas Blank, turned by CLE and a CLE chamber.

BH MK262 is a 1.5 MOA load with it.

My hand load MK262, sub MOA, usually .5 - .75.

I have found that the OAL greatly affected things and the BH MK262 rounds run 2.245-2.250 where my hand loads are 2.260. Your barrel may not like bullet jump.
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 11:49:18 AM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By davebl:

I have found that the OAL greatly affected things and the BH MK262 rounds run 2.245-2.250 where my hand loads are 2.260. Your barrel may not like bullet jump.
View Quote

Sometimes commercial ammo will hammer in some rifles. Nothing comes close to custom hand loads tuned to your specific rifle. I only have one muzzle break on my AR-15's, it's a Jerry Michulek model on a lightweight build. I personally think it's wasted money, 5.56mm simply doesn't need one.

Standard run-of-the mill A1 or A2 flash hiders work just fine.
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 3:59:41 PM EDT
I had similar results with mk262 ammo. I switched to 69gr stuff and my accuracy improved dramatically. I could shoot sub moa all day with most groups 1/2 moa. I only shoot PPU 69gr Match from aimsurplus through my PRI Mk12 Mod 0.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 1:58:49 AM EDT
Originally Posted By borderpatrol:

Sometimes commercial ammo will hammer in some rifles. Nothing comes close to custom hand loads tuned to your specific rifle. I only have one muzzle break on my AR-15's, it's a Jerry Michulek model on a lightweight build. I personally think it's wasted money, 5.56mm simply doesn't need one.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By borderpatrol:
Originally Posted By davebl:

The thing about the AE/Ops system though is it's really intended to have a can on it. The brake I though really was supposed to function as the first blast baffle, no? Otherwise, I'd have zero brakes on anything I own.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 11:31:26 PM EDT
Yes, it's essentially the first baffle. I'd try different ammo, and mine really likes the 69SMK hand loads I actually developed for a .223 bolt gun.

You can certainly try it without the brake, your not hurting anything but I'd try ammo combinations first.
Top Top