Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/23/2017 11:48:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CanNevrHaveEnuffGuns]
I'm looking not to spend much more than a grand and I can't decide which is more useful for me.

I've got a Tikka CTR in the factory stock right now and with no muzzle device on it. I'm newer to shooting long distance, but I'm getting the hang of it and my shooting range has up to 1100 yards max distance to shoot at.

The can would really be used on my long range gun, but I would also be able to stick it on a few other rifles.

The stocks I have looked at are the Manners MCS T4A, the KRG Whiskey 3, or maybe an Accuracy International chassis inletted to fit the Tikka (which is apparently possible).

Which do you think is the more useful investment?
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 8:39:31 AM EDT
[#1]
I've shot my cousin's CTR and while the stock wasn't the greatest it's definitely serviceable. now the suppressor was a huge difference. his is hearing safe in my opinion (ultra 7) and it really tames the riffle into a pussycat. recoil reduction is significant. the only thing that was a little annoying was the mirage it emits. he has a suppressor cover on it and it still would give off mirage. but then again this was after ripping off 10 rounds in a period of a min or two. (we were dueling on the dueling tree at 500yds)

I did shoot his rifle without the can with TBAC's brake and recoil reduction was the same or slightly better but it definitely takes the fun out of shooting for the guy next to it. (ie. me )
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 11:44:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Part of the reason I haven't gotten a suppressor yet is because of the wait and being on "the list". However, the new barcode system I read about in that suppressor thread makes the wait greatly reduced, albeit still some time.

The reason I'm considering a new stock is because I picked my rings from SWFA on sale, and they're Badger, but just a tad too high. I could add a cheek piece, but I plan to replace the stock some day, hence the dilemma of can v stock. I'm sure I'll eventually own both.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 11:58:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Foam on top of the stock and get a can. Not my normal advice but that stick isn't bad.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 12:07:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: m6z] [#4]
I'd go for the suppressor.

What scope are you running?  I might opt to upgrade that first.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 12:08:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Shortbuss] [#5]
Can.

Edit. Happy SiCo Hybrid owner, soon to be a happy DA Sandman owner. Take it for what its worth.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 12:11:57 PM EDT
[#6]
The suppressor will be beneficial in a lot of ways. It's definitely the right answer.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 12:20:28 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm a proponent of hearing protection.. so get on that suppressor bandwagon...

I've not paid more than $800 for any of mine (including tax stamp)
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 12:39:02 PM EDT
[#8]
I'd just get a KRG X-Ray and call it a day.

I have suppressors but rarely use them on my bolt guns.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 2:12:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CanNevrHaveEnuffGuns] [#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By m6z:
I'd go for the suppressor.

What scope are you running?  I might opt to upgrade that first.
View Quote
My scope is a Burris XTR II 4-20 with the Horus reticle, which I think is a pretty well paired scope to the rifle. I'm actually a little surprised that it's such a landslide for a can.

I was really eyeing a SiCo Omega, but I notice that Silencershop doesn't sell it. Anyone have an opinion on the YHM Nitro? Any other personal preferences for a multi-role can, but still primarily for precision?
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 2:43:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Not really interested in a suppressor.....but if your current stock is working(with some comb work) and you must spend the money.....
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 3:43:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Buy the suppressor now and while you wait on the paperwork save up for a chassis.
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 2:19:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RangerJoe11] [#12]
I would get the stock. You wont be disappointed with a Manners.

It will improve comfort/ergonomics, address your ring height "issue" (though this can be done via DIY methods or simply buying lower rings) and may improve accuracy of the rifle.

While suppressors are awesome, I only think about them after all my other needs have been addressed. Especially on a LR build/rifle.

Some other possibilities...reloading equipment/supplies, ammo, Kestrel/weathermeter/ballistic engine, upgraded optics
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 6:57:42 PM EDT
[#13]
I did the arfcom thing and got both on my T3.

The Manner T4 was a small improvement.  I don't think it made the rifle more accurate, but I do like the ergonomics and weight a bit better than stock.

The SiCo Omega was a huge improvement.  It is probably hearing safe with the brake and can, at least it doesn't start to bother me until I've shot 20+ times in a session.  Most of all though it is pleasantly quiet for both the shooter and spotter.

FWIW, I waited 7 months for the stock and 11 months for the can.  I would buy either again, knowing full well that I'd wait that long for them.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 9:16:13 AM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Sonoran_Tj:
I did the arfcom thing and got both on my T3.
View Quote
NICE setup..
I need a 308 bolt gun..
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 10:40:47 AM EDT
[#15]
So I have been through some chassis drama on the CTR.

Somebody can correct me if I am wrong about anything.

The TRG-22 / CTR mags are pretty awesome. They are compact compared to AICS mags and load alot smoother. The AICS mags in the chassis were so stiff initially that I was scratching brass.

I originally bought a KRG X-ray for my T3 308. Didn't like the mag situation. Kept my T3X 6.5 in the factory stock.

From an ergonomics and stability of the rear bag standpoint, I shot better with the factory stock.

Fast forward. Sold the KRG, found a deal on a MCRee TSR stock. This takes factory mags which solves one of my biggest gripes.

Took it out to a local Larue MOA challenge. Couldn't get stable with the rear bag that the rules allow. My average of 5 groups was .805.

Took some time to relax and grabbed the factory t3x stock. My first two groups with the factory stock were .291 and .381. As the barrel heated they opened up but the 5 group average was still .525

Anyways the factory stock will get the job done. Chassis don't always improve the shooters performance. I am now wondering if I would be better served by a manners type stock or just keeping the factory stock. I'll do some more practice with the Mcree and see if its just a rear bag issue.
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 10:45:35 AM EDT
[#16]
With that budget you can almost swing both.

As its mostly for a precision rig a direct thread would be better and those arent all that expensive. 

Chassis from MDA, KRG and some others are nice but not so steep. 
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 10:50:54 AM EDT
[#17]
I really want to try a Konohawk stock with my T3 CTR and the TRG/CTR mags.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top