Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/30/2015 8:56:20 PM EDT
Anyone here have a Montana Rifle Company action or complete rifle?

I'm considering buying one to build my next rifle on, but I have heard some bad reviews on them. Granted, these are old and from the early 2000s and I haven't found anyone who has a newer one.

Any other recommendations for a controlled round feed action would be great as well. I'm looking to build a 6.5x284 or a 6.5-06 for a deer/antelope rifle sometime this summer or fall.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 12:48:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By Poop3rscoop3r:

I'm considering buying one to build my next rifle on, but I have heard some bad reviews on them. Granted, these are old and from the early 2000s and I haven't found anyone who has a newer one.

Any other recommendations for a controlled round feed action would be great as well. I'm looking to build a 6.5x284 or a 6.5-06 for a deer/antelope rifle sometime this summer or fall.
View Quote

The MRC 1999 never did live up to it's promise.  Production is always behind and the finished product is not what I would call "precision".
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 1:45:24 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By only1asterisk:
The MRC 1999 never did live up to it's promise.  Production is always behind and the finished product is not what I would call "precision".
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

+1

Link Posted: 7/1/2015 4:47:35 PM EDT
[#3]
I can see the need for controlled feed for a dangerous game rife.
I wouldn't care about controlled feed for a deer rifle.

I'm interested in the 6.5x284 Norma too.
I'm thinking of going Savage or Rem-age so I can replace burned out barrels myself.

Link Posted: 7/1/2015 7:48:56 PM EDT
[#4]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

They're showing immediate shipping for a long action, stainless, right hand, standard (.473") bolt face. This is action only - I'm not interested in the whole rifle.

As far as not being "precision" would you elaborate? I really like the idea of them but I don't want to send some lopsided POS to a gunsmith and have them charge me out the ass to blueprint it.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 7:54:07 PM EDT
[#5]

Originally Posted By eightring:

I can see the need for controlled feed for a dangerous game rife.

I wouldn't care about controlled feed for a deer rifle.

I'm interested in the 6.5x284 Norma too.

I'm thinking of going Savage or Rem-age so I can replace burned out barrels myself.

View Quote

I really like the idea of the old style Winchester triggers and CRF. I have had way too many feeding problems with Remingtons. In fact, it seems like the same Remingtons that used to feed fine won't feed anymore. Either the bolt doesn't catch the case head and rides over it or the case pops up over the bolt.

Now, I wouldn't mind a Remington with a AICS pattern detachable magazine, but I'd rather have 4 rounds down and a flush fit for hunting. This isn't going to be a long range gun. I'll build something on a Remington for that.

I do like the idea of a Rem-age. I may try that on one of my shot out Remingtons.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 1:11:49 AM EDT
[#6]

As far as not being "precision" would you elaborate? I really like the idea of them but I don't want to send some lopsided POS to a gunsmith and have them charge me out the ass to blueprint it.
View Quote

They've had various little issues over the years.  I haven't paid them much mind of late, but when the started, almost everything was farmed out and they had a hell of a time making things work. The came the great firing pin delay.  For a long time I had one of their  .505 actions on order. I gave up after a couple of years.

If I wanted a CRF hunting rifle, it would be a CZ 550.  If you need a 6.5, it comes in 6.5x55 and the single set trigger is decent.
I'd take the money I saved and laugh all the way to the bank.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 11:46:26 AM EDT
[#7]
I dont see a need for CRF in a modern gun *if* you're buying a a decent gun.

Worlds most dangerous game (people that are shooting at you) rifles such as the M40A1 for something old, or the Accuracy International AXMC for something brand new, both push feed actions.

However, if you must have CRF, then take a look at the Mausingfield. Its an AMAZING action.

lhttp://www.americanrifle.com/Mausingfield-Bolt-Action.html

Get what you pay for with the Mausingfield..
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 11:51:42 AM EDT
[#8]
honestly if you want CRF I'd find yourself an early production mauser 98 and have the smith work that up into something special. The mauser actions are really good to begin with, they're just old.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 2:06:18 PM EDT
[#9]

Originally Posted By elucidate:

I dont see a need for CRF in a modern gun *if* you're buying a a decent gun.

Worlds most dangerous game (people that are shooting at you) rifles such as the M40A1 for something old, or the Accuracy International AXMC for something brand new, both push feed actions.

However, if you must have CRF, then take a look at the Mausingfield. Its an AMAZING action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeX7kt26aek

lhttp://www.americanrifle.com/Mausingfield-Bolt-Action.html

Get what you pay for with the Mausingfield..
View Quote

I really like the looks of that, but for the price I can get a pre '64 model 70. That's what I really want, I'm just trying to find a cheaper and more available option.

I'm pretty well set on CRF as well. I have had nothing but problems with push feeds and blind magazines, and I want a blind magazine.

Looks like I'll keep on the lookout for pre '64s. Or start buying new CRF Winchesters and re barreling them.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 6:51:00 PM EDT
[#10]
I've got two of the original charter run MRC 1999 SS SA actions. One was barreled by them in 25-284 & it's been a good accurate shooter. The other was made into a Douglas barreled 350 Rem. Mag. It has also been flawless.

When these first came out there were plenty of new product production delays that made a lot of people mad & they continue to have deep butthurt over it. Not entirely unfounded, but some just can't let it go. As far as I've seen they have improved their business model from back then and seem to be making some nice actions, still.

Here's a link to a group buy from another board just to get an idea of what people are getting from them lately.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/9659843/1

25-284

350 RM

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top