Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/29/2016 9:03:11 PM EDT
I intend on building a MK12 spr but don't know who makes a better upper. PRI or BCM? And for me it doesn't have to be a perfect clone.
Link Posted: 3/29/2016 10:39:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: StampCollector87] [#1]
I own a PRI and I will say they make the better upper.  PRI has been working with the MOD 0 since they beginning of the project. PRI also uses Douglas barrels which are known to shoot very tight groups.

All the info you are looking for is here.
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 4:39:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RyanO20] [#2]
Do you want a Mod 0 or Mod 1? I'm assuming Mod 0 since you mentioned PRI. Don't forget High Caliber Sales as well. They have ties to Crane and the original development of the platform.

I have been on a months long suffer fest of building my own. It can be done and I've saved a few dollars and have a highly correct upper. That said, if it's not that big of deal then PRI or High Caliber can hook you up.

Take StampCollector87's advice and get in the MK12 thread. Tons of info, great group of guys, and very helpful. I've found in the MK12 clone game that if you hate your money you'll be fine
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 7:19:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Mod 0 or 1 doesn't meter too much. And I keep seeing a mod H but i can't see a difference between it and the mod 1
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 8:07:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Sapperdaddy04:
Mod 0 or 1 doesn't meter too much. And I keep seeing a mod H but i can't see a difference between it and the mod 1
View Quote

Different barrel length, gas port and no front sight/gas block.
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 10:12:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: StampCollector87] [#5]
View Quote

The Mod H is a not close to the mod 1. The Mod H uses a PRI tube verses a KAC rail and it uses a arms swan sleeve, the Mod H is closer to the mod 0 then 1.  The Seal Reece is close to a Mod 1 but it uses a 16 inch barrel and a KAC  mk12 rail. PRI is a good source for the Mod 0 and High Caliber Sales is good for the Mod 1. This is an expensive hobby to get into if you want to be clone correct. I have close to $3k in my Mod 1 with optic and it is not even clone correct. Here is a picture of my Mod 0 while I was painting it.

" />
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 2:12:04 PM EDT
[#6]
That's quite impressive. And I'm the kind guy that doesn't care what other people think I'd rather have my rifle be a little different than the rest. Also what's the ARMS swan sleeve? Also is a B5 systems sopmod stock frowned upon? And what's the diffebetween it and the crane stock?
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 2:51:31 PM EDT
[#7]
That's quite impressive. And I'm the kind guy that doesn't care what other people think I'd rather have my rifle be a little different than the rest. Also what's the ARMS swan sleeve? Also is a B5 systems sopmod stock frowned upon? And what's the diffebetween it and the crane stock?
View Quote

The Swan Sleeve is the part I have circled in this picture. It allows you to bridge the gap from you upper to rail which allows you to mount your scope lower and install night vision or a Peq-2. For the mod H the swan sleeve is shorter just allowing for rings to bridge the upper and lower. As far as the B5 enhanced goes they are pretty close to correct. If you can find one of the Gen1 b5 stocks that need fitting they are correct since they do not have the QD swivel. B5 got the contract for SOPMOD stocks as soon as LMT's contract expired. Really most all stocks have been seen in the wild on mil issue rifles. For a Mod 0 the most correct stock would be a standard colt a1 stock. Brownells is now selling A1 lowers which is the correct lower for all generations of the MK12. Some people would argue that the Mod H is not a real clone since it was never issued, basically your Mod H is a Mod 0 Reece version.

Link Posted: 3/31/2016 3:58:08 PM EDT
[#8]
So what makes a lower "proper"? Just the fact it's a colt or special marking on it?
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 4:52:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: StampCollector87] [#9]
So what makes a lower "proper"? Just the fact it's a colt or special marking on it?
View Quote

A1 is the correct lower, most all new lowers are a2. McKay makes a A1, Nodak which is considered the best makes one, and Brownells now has them that are made for them by Nodak I believe. The A1 lowers have a different profile then the new lowers they have less reinforcement.
Here is a picture of my Mod 1
" />
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 6:53:53 PM EDT
[#10]
That is gorgeous. That a hog saddle?
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 9:38:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: StampCollector87] [#11]
That is gorgeous. That a hog saddle?
View Quote

Pig saddle they are only $135 compared to there big brother the hog being $300
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 10:19:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dangerdan] [#12]

View Quote

The Mod H isn't an "official" Mk12.

The Mk12 Mod 0 and Mod 1 were built at NSW Crane.

The "Mod H" or "Mod Holland" was built I believe by Precision Reflex Inc (PRI) or maybe some Army SF armorer for some Group. I don't know how many were built, but not a lot.

Some call it a Mk12 because it has a PRI tube and a 12th Model suppressor that the Mk12s use. And that's about where it ends.

Link Posted: 4/14/2016 3:54:46 PM EDT
[#13]

Originally Posted By dangerdan:

The "Mod H" or "Mod Holland" was built I believe by Precision Reflex Inc (PRI) or maybe some Army SF armorer for some Group. I don't know how many were built, but not a lot.

Some call it a Mk12 because it has a PRI tube and a 12th Model suppressor that the Mk12s use. And that's about where it ends.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Hmmm.  We turn our backs and this is what happens...Talking shit on the MK-12 Mod H.    I'm bringing this up at our next secret MK-12 Mod H meeting.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 5:14:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Was the mod H ever really used by the military?
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 10:35:27 PM EDT
[#15]

View Quote
Yes.  The original MK12 Mod 0's that 5th GRP were using were traded back into PRI to get shorter, more functional sized barrels favoring urban/closer engagements.  
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 7:56:20 AM EDT
[#16]

View Quote
You really should just go to this thread.

Everything you want to know, and probably more.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 8:53:23 AM EDT
[#17]
There is a huge thread dedicated to this topic: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/520524_.html
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 11:39:56 PM EDT
[#18]
doesnt have to be perfect ? then i guess you dont want a MK12
do it right, anything else is junk

I intend on building a MK12 spr but don't know who makes a better upper. PRI or BCM? And for me it doesn't have to be a perfect clone.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/17/2016 2:11:21 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By BSOG1:

View All Quotes

This is always a fun discussion...  Do you want a Mk12 SPR clone or do you just want a really accurate upper for your AR?  Once you answer that then your eventual path and costs will be determined...
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 1:46:54 AM EDT
[#20]
I'm like you, I like to do my own thing. BCM had the upper I wanted, but of coarse it's back ordered. So I went with a LaRue Stealth 18" upper. All of this was before I knew about PRI (don't have time to look through 1500 some odd pages). I couldn't be happier though. That thread has a LOAD of info on it. I get on there quit a bit.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 12:01:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Spooky130:

This is always a fun discussion...  Do you want a Mk12 SPR clone or do you just want a really accurate upper for your AR?  Once you answer that then your eventual path and costs will be determined...
View All Quotes

Well I'd like to have a really accurate AR. But I also really like the mk12s. So l could end up with a bastard child of the two.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 3:36:53 PM EDT
[#22]

View All Quotes

How do you figure?
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 1:46:08 AM EDT
[#23]

Originally Posted By Twitchy:

Hmmm.  We turn our backs and this is what happens...Talking shit on the MK-12 Mod H.    I'm bringing this up at our next secret MK-12 Mod H meeting.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Twitchy:

You be quiet. Men are talking

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 4:11:11 PM EDT
[#24]
What can you got on that there bolt gun?
And do you actually have the ops Inc can for your mk12?
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 4:14:00 PM EDT
[#25]

View Quote

Knights M110

Yes, OPS INC 12th Model
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 4:25:31 AM EDT
[#26]

Well I'd like to have a really accurate AR. But I also really like the mk12s. So l could end up with a bastard child of the two.
View All Quotes

I'm going through the same process now.  I like the Mk12 looks but, let's face it, an accurate - in both shooting and looks -  Mk12 is an expensive project.  To me the accuracy of the rifle is more important than sticking to the Mk12 form factor.  The OPS Inc / Allen suppressor collar and muzzle brake contribute a huge amount to the looks of the Mk12 but the actual suppressor design is fairly old and the mounting system is inconvenient if you want to mount it on several different rifles due to the need of the step in the barrel profile.  

Right now I'm leaning towards a KAC LPR or an MSTN custom upper.  Just haven't gotten completely serious yet...
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 12:58:18 PM EDT
[#27]

Knights M110

Yes, OPS INC 12th Model
View All Quotes

Knights M110

Yes, OPS INC 12th Model

Doesnt the M110 can mount to the gas glock on the m110?
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 12:59:00 PM EDT
[#28]

I'm going through the same process now.  I like the Mk12 looks but, let's face it, an accurate - in both shooting and looks -  Mk12 is an expensive project.  To me the accuracy of the rifle is more important than sticking to the Mk12 form factor.  The OPS Inc / Allen suppressor collar and muzzle brake contribute a huge amount to the looks of the Mk12 but the actual suppressor design is fairly old and the mounting system is inconvenient if you want to mount it on several different rifles due to the need of the step in the barrel profile.  

Right now I'm leaning towards a KAC LPR or an MSTN custom upper.  Just haven't gotten completely serious yet...
View All Quotes

What's the price tag on that kac lpr upper? And I've never heard of mstn.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:42:58 PM EDT
[#29]

View All Quotes

Knights M110

Yes, OPS INC 12th Model

On the M110, yes

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 2:35:17 PM EDT
[#30]

On the M110, yes

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/ermey/media/Guns/2015-05-21%2019.05.25_zps6ggdbvno.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v37/ermey/Guns/2015-05-21%2019.05.25_zps6ggdbvno.jpg</a>
<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/ermey/media/Guns/20150521_190248_zpsugz2d93x.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v37/ermey/Guns/20150521_190248_zpsugz2d93x.jpg</a>
View All Quotes

Knights M110

Yes, OPS INC 12th Model

On the M110, yes

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/ermey/media/Guns/2015-05-21%2019.05.25_zps6ggdbvno.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v37/ermey/Guns/2015-05-21%2019.05.25_zps6ggdbvno.jpg</a>
<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/ermey/media/Guns/20150521_190248_zpsugz2d93x.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v37/ermey/Guns/20150521_190248_zpsugz2d93x.jpg</a>

So does it act like a normal taper mount without the gas block?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top