Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 3/26/2015 8:50:19 PM EDT
Looking into getting a jp barrel set up but wondering about accuracy and if there are better barrels out there?

For those of you who have a jp barrel what are you getting out of it? And do you have a thermal dissaptor on it and does it help any?

Also what about a carrier for the matched bolt that comes with the barrel?
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 10:36:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/29/2015 10:40:26 PM EDT by FALex]
IMHO, there is no more accurate a barrel than what JP chambers and I have owned quite a few different aftermarket barrels.  To be honest, my LRP-07 is one of the most accurate rifles I have encountered (outside of a couple custom F Class rigs).  I have shot several sub half MOA groups (x5 shots too, none of this x3 shot business).  I used to have the targets of several 5 shot groups that shot .25-.35 MOA and under (.20 being the smallest).

The heat dissipator appears to work well, though I have no official data, simply my observations.  Being aluminum, it should conduct heat very well.  When you buy JP products, you are buying the JP "system," which is the barrel, dissipator, LMOS and bolt. Sure, theoretically, any bolt should work in these rifles, but these are more precisely fit to their respective barrels, mitigating most excess headspace.

After seeing how well the LRP shot, I had to order a JP in 5.56.  

Do yourself a favor, grab the JP "system," shoot it, and if you decide you don't like it, hit the EE.  I highly suspect that would not happen, however.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 11:09:48 PM EDT
I actually really like the idea of their thermal dissipator. I just wish they made a slightly smaller version to fit under modern thinner handguards.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 6:39:39 AM EDT
I bought just a barrel and also wish they had a cooler of a smaller diameter.  I am using it for 3 gun and I like the feel/ handling for SLR sized rails with a angled foregrip.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 5:50:24 PM EDT
I have a jp barrel and the accuracy is amazing.  I actually think im a good shot now

I have my barrel on a POF upper so the barrel nut they use is dang near a thermal disapator.  I have thought about getting 1 because I like the idea behind it. That being said I haven't gotten 1 yet.

You can't go wrong with that barrel.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 10:38:48 AM EDT
fwiw i believe wilson arms makes the barrels for JP. they can be found for cheaper depending on configuration
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 5:01:56 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By bikerman9967:
fwiw i believe wilson arms makes the barrels for JP. they can be found for cheaper depending on configuration
View Quote

You are correct in that wilson arms makes the blanks for JP. However the maker of the blank is only part of the story. JP still does the chambering and turning. Not to mention their cryogentic process, but usefulness of which is debatable.
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 11:15:31 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Lennyo3034:

You are correct in that wilson arms makes the blanks for JP. However the maker of the blank is only part of the story. JP still does the chambering and turning. Not to mention their cryogentic process, but usefulness of which is debatable.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Lennyo3034:

Wilson Arms builds blanks/barrels to customer specs.  BUTT!!! yes, they are mostly known for "just mass production barrels."
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 3:53:12 PM EDT
I'll back up what FALex said.  I've got. JP LRP-07 .308 and she is a super accurate rig. Fired the first 3 rounds out of her, adjusted my scope, and then shot a 7 shot groups that measured less than .5MOA at 100yds. Ammo was M118LR.
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 2:01:36 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/7/2016 10:31:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/7/2016 10:34:19 PM EDT by FALex]
Originally Posted By jonathan1994:
My jp barrel review
View Quote

I'm not trying to be a dick but you went through all of that with a PA 1-6x scope?  I can't shoot groups worth a shit if I'm under 12x.  Then again, shooting groups is a tedious process in and of itself, anyhow.  I shot groups with my JP-15 with a Bushnell Tac Elite 3-12 but just couldn't get them where I thought they should be (knowing how accurate JP's barrels are), so I threw an XRS on there, and that made all the difference.  

ETA - had good friend (CERT team sniper) shoot 10" plate at 900 yards with Hornady 75gr, going about 2750 (IIRC), and put 5 rounds in just under 6" on the plate.  

We got down the plate and had to scrape our jaws off the floor.  

Fucking JP makes some ridiculous shit, that much is true.
Link Posted: 3/7/2016 11:28:45 PM EDT
Originally Posted By FALex:

I'm not trying to be a dick but you went through all of that with a PA 1-6x scope?  I can't shoot groups worth a shit if I'm under 12x.  Then again, shooting groups is a tedious process in and of itself, anyhow.  I shot groups with my JP-15 with a Bushnell Tac Elite 3-12 but just couldn't get them where I thought they should be (knowing how accurate JP's barrels are), so I threw an XRS on there, and that made all the difference.  

ETA - had good friend (CERT team sniper) shoot 10" plate at 900 yards with Hornady 75gr, going about 2750 (IIRC), and put 5 rounds in just under 6" on the plate.  

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By FALex:
Originally Posted By jonathan1994:
My jp barrel review

Yes with a 1-6x cause that's the nature of the build.  This is for 3 gun, but for 2 grand in parts I wanted to at least see what it could do.  It would still be a good medium range squirrel/crow/yote/pig blaster if I didn't have my suppressed 6.8 on hand.  As far as the scope, the best I have is just a simple Vortex Viper HS2.5-10 X 44.  It would be better than the 1-6x, but I know people here don't call that quality glass.  The PA has a HUGE 1.5MOA center dot and I was placing that inside a 2" diamond.  Precise...no, but better than a red dot or irons.  I AM SURE WITH GOOD HIGH POWERED GLASS AND A BUILD MORE SUITED FOR A BENCH, THAT 1/2 MOA IS POSSIBLE.  JP is good stuff, but you pay for it.  Actually, the groups in the link are ALL the groups I have shot with that gun/barrel.  Statistically, I could fire a box or two of 53/55 grain pills and probably get 1/2 MOA with the set up as is.....as a 50 yard bullet hose...

This PENCIL PROFILE barrel, good glass, billet upper or at least stiffer upper than Anderson, bench friendly stock, good rest, and a Geiselle Match trigger could probably produce a very 1/2MOA gun with factory ammo.
Also, the JP after about 100 rounds was almost completely clean fresh off break in.  Of course it is Stainless.  My melanite barrels have puked brown on their first cleaning.

One other thing on 1-6X, you cant call sub MOA-ish flyers.  With my Walmart 4-16 power, you can see the crosshair move 1/8th inch or less with Walmart glass.  I doubt I could see less than a 1/4" wiggle on 6x.
Link Posted: 3/8/2016 8:55:52 PM EDT
My review has been updated/edited for the cold vs hot bore POI shift.... summary - there is none or very little.
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 3:35:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/7/2016 3:37:34 PM EDT by cavgunner]
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/7/2016 6:17:26 PM EDT
Originally Posted By cavgunner:

View All Quotes

The blank itself is only one part of the equation. There are also multiple grades of Wilson barrels. The chambering, profiling, crowning/threading, and even the gas port can be done right or wrong.

Just because two barrels were made off of similar blanks does not guarantee similar performance. There is a reason that people trust certain companies over others including the barrel makers themselves. I would rather have someone like white oak chamber a Krieger than Krieger do it in house.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 5:25:21 PM EDT
What type of factory ammo has been shooting the best. I picked up multiple boxes of all 75 to 77 grain. I was planning on breaking her in in with 55 boat tail
and then use the 75-77 stuff. But after reading this, maybe the lighter stuff is better?
The tech at JP did say the 77 stuff runs great

I have a 18 inch 223wylde, small profile, LMOS BCG and silent buffer
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:07:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/21/2016 11:09:41 AM EDT by bikerman9967]
Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE:

The blank itself is only one part of the equation. There are also multiple grades of Wilson barrels. The chambering, profiling, crowning/threading, and even the gas port can be done right or wrong.

Just because two barrels were made off of similar blanks does not guarantee similar performance. There is a reason that people trust certain companies over others including the barrel makers themselves. I would rather have someone like white oak chamber a Krieger than Krieger do it in house.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE:

wilson arms makes blanks for rock river, and Jp. ,my father in law has both , he cant see a difference in accuracy, both are sub 1/2 moa rifles. i believe they are both cryo treated. the jp is way more in price, not sure how much more.

he just ordered and installed an actual wilson arms bull barrel ( i have no idea who does the finish work ie chamber and extension.) everything looks identical to the RRA, but it was much cheaper.  hes going to test this one soon. ill report back when he does  

Top Top