Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/23/2017 9:47:01 AM EDT
Ok with the Gander going out of bizz sale - I bought a Ruger American Rifle in 223 - standard model with the 22 inch barrel.

The goal is to use this rifle to learn how to better shoot a rifle - I have not shot any further than 200 yards.

In reading the specs on the rifle looks like it has a 1 in 8 twist barrel - so I plan on starting with the 69 gr loadings (I currently do not reload, but plan to in the future.  Might be when I jump up to something larger.)  

How many shots before the barrel will heat up and the impact will shift?

Build questions?

Should I invest in a one piece rail?

Thinking of a Falcon Scope - any other suggestions?

Plan on getting a Boyds stock - want to dress up the lady.

Any thing else that I should be thinking about?

Thanks and look forward to your comments,

Red
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:55:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Have a look at this stock: 

https://mdttac.com/lss-chassis-system.html
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:03:58 AM EDT
[#2]
The only thing that worries me about Ruger is if you do decide to swap barrels the action doesn't have a lot of meat up front to support heavier barrel.

How many shots before the barrel walks will depend on how hot it is outside and how fast you shoot.

Optics get the best you can afford. I don't know anything about Falcon. Leupold night force or vortex would be my top choices with Bushnell and Burris coming up the rear.

I like one piece bases but good quality two piece bases are out there. My Leupold steel bases and rings have not let me down.

Nothing wrong with boyds stocks.

I would get a good quality range finder and learn to use your scopes range hash mark's. Then check with the range finder until you are naturally ranging a target every time you look at a target.

But the very first thing is just shoot the rifle with a quality optic before you start changing things.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:08:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By sparkyD:
The only thing that worries me about Ruger is if you do decide to swap barrels the action doesn't have a lot of meat up front to support heavier barrel.

How many shots before the barrel walks will depend on how hot it is outside and how fast you shoot.

Optics get the best you can afford. I don't know anything about Falcon. Leupold night force or vortex would be my top choices with Bushnell and Burris coming up the rear.

I like one piece bases but good quality two piece bases are out there. My Leupold steel bases and rings have not let me down.

Nothing wrong with boyds stocks.

I would get a good quality range finder and learn to use your scopes range hash mark's. Then check with the range finder until you are naturally ranging a target every time you look at a target.

But the very first thing is just shoot the rifle with a quality optic before you start changing things.
View Quote
I do plan on doing this build slowly - think that the base/rings/scope will be the start.  I do have a range finder - it is an awesome tool!

Red
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 10:20:21 AM EDT
[#4]
I have the ranch version in 223Rem. Tried the MDT stock, although it shrunk the groups slightly, it was not as handy as the conventional stock. I swapped it out with a Boyd's stock, with just a bit of glass bedding, it's still a tack driver. Run the best quality scope you can afford, at least a Leupold FXII or FXIII fixed 6x or a VX-2 or Patrol scope in the 3-9x range. Only rich men can affoard cheap scopes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top