Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/22/2016 7:15:56 PM EDT
I just put a Ruger RPR in .308 on order and shouldn't be too long I hope. I am now concerned with which scope to equip it with. I will be using it for hunting and fun shooting for now but will also use it for duty if that opportunity presents itself in the future.

I am looking for zoom from around 3-4x to 20x if possible. I am looking for MOA adjustment system as well as an illuminated reticle. My budget is up to 1k and if I am missing any details on this topic please request them and Ill reply with as much info as I can provide.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 7:55:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Need to know what kind of "duty" you're talking about.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 7:59:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By coyotekillerNE:
View Quote

For a thousand bucks you could probably get a Viper PST in 6-24x50 with your choice of MOA/MIL, illuminated and your choice of FFP reticles.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 8:04:38 PM EDT
[#3]
As a sniper, all shots will be within 200 yards and training wouldn't be more than 1000.

View Quote

Link Posted: 2/22/2016 8:07:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Any particular reason you want to use MOA adjustments?

Do you want a SFP or FFP?

Any preference on reticles? Mildot? Graticule type reticles? Christmas tree style reticles?

Some optics close to your price range, an maybe a little bit more. They are within your price point if you are not opposed to used optics:

Vortex Optics Viper PST 4-16 or 6-24 offered in both Mrad and MOA, FFP and SFP
Bushnell Elite Tactical series
Burris XTR series

Bushnell offers some nice zoom range on the low end and high end. Eg. 3.5-21x or 4.5-30x
Vortex will be the cheapest of all 3 and offers a great lifetime warranty, but there have been some reports of some people needing to utilize that warranty. I personally had to have Vortex cleanout one of my optics which has dust inside, creating an optical artifact. I had no issues with they taking it back and fixing the issue. They make a nice product for the price.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 8:15:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By stxdeadI:
As a sniper, all shots will be within 200 yards and training wouldn't be more than 1000.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I'd not want to risk mine or other people's lives with a sub-standard optic. You're going to want impeccable tracking along with impeccable glass quality. Most likely you'd been doing more recon than actually shooting someone if we're talking about law enforcement.
You want to make sure you're able to identify an actual threat so glass quality matters. I'd highly suggest contacting Vortex and using their LEO discount on a Gen II Razor. Yes, it's above your budget, but you owe it to the citizens you protect to use the right equipment.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 9:06:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rob01] [#6]
Don't need the wise cracks.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 11:14:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Hey brother, what is your budget?

If you're contemplating using this rifle for duty purposes, do not go with Vortex, that much I can say.  I've just seen so many problems with Vortex scopes at this point, that I could not recommend them for anything beyond a target or comp rifle.  Even then, problems, but no lives at stake.  And this is problems with the top tier Vortex's (Gen I's and 2's Razors).
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 11:23:15 PM EDT
[#8]
You might be waiting a LONG time...
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 11:48:41 PM EDT
[#9]

I'd not want to risk mine or other people's lives with a sub-standard optic. You're going to want impeccable tracking along with impeccable glass quality. Most likely you'd been doing more recon than actually shooting someone if we're talking about law enforcement.
You want to make sure you're able to identify an actual threat so glass quality matters. I'd highly suggest contacting Vortex and using their LEO discount on a Gen II Razor. Yes, it's above your budget, but you owe it to the citizens you protect to use the right equipment.
View All Quotes

That's what I have on mine. It's so awesome. Check out my groups on the last couple pages one RPR thread in the presicion rifles section.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 11:50:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By FALex:

If you're contemplating using this rifle for duty purposes, do not go with Vortex, that much I can say.  I've just seen so many problems with Vortex scopes at this point, that I could not recommend them for anything beyond a target or comp rifle.  Even then, problems, but no lives at stake.  And this is problems with the top tier Vortex's (Gen I's and 2's Razors).
View Quote

Oooooh really. I'd like to hear about these problems. Seriously, first of heard of this. Especially the gen 2 razor. Do tell.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 12:02:27 AM EDT
[#11]

View Quote

Please elaborate..in detail.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 12:03:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: stxdeadI] [#12]
accidental post
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 12:03:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: stxdeadI] [#13]
accidental post again, meant to quote
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 12:05:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By TSU45:

Nice.  We have a "sniper" asking what scope he needs
View All Quotes

Thx for the helpful post man, Im new to this field of shooting. Been shooting shotguns competitively most of my adult life. I have about 2 years around the AR platform and zero experience with precision rifles. This is why I ask for help from those more experienced.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 12:05:42 AM EDT
[#15]

View Quote

budget is about 1k
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 12:06:14 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By 10mm_:
View Quote

waiting a long time for what?
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 12:13:32 AM EDT
[#17]

View All Quotes

The rifle.  Lots of people have had them on order for months.  Ruger is having a hard time keeping up.  I looked forever and had one on order and finally found one at a gun show for a price I was willing to pay.  I hope you get it I was just warning in case you weren't aware how rare they are right now.

Link Posted: 2/23/2016 12:24:03 AM EDT
[#18]

budget is about 1k
View All Quotes

budget is about 1k

I think you need to rethink the whole "sniper" thing. You can't just "be" a sniper. It takes thousands of dollars worth of equipment, training, and experience. You need other observation devices, range finder, kestrel, bi pods, bags, night vision, so on and so forth. Competitive shotgun shooting has virtually zero correlation with long range precision shooting.
Get the rifle,  get a fixed 10x super sniper on the low end, a Burris XTRII on the high end of your budget and shoot and enjoy your rifle. Once you start shooting and learning, the whole "sniper" thing will become clearer to you; and you'll probably look back on this thread and laugh.
Don't be offended, we all have to start from somewhere.
Full disclaimer; not a sniper, nor have been trained as one. Just a semi- competitive long range precision shooter.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 12:36:36 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By SilentDeath12886:
Any particular reason you want to use MOA adjustments?

Do you want a SFP or FFP? FFP

Any preference on reticles? Mildot? Graticule type reticles? Christmas tree style reticles? MOA adjustments and a clean reticle without too much clutter. My favorite out of all the Vortex reticles is the EBR 1 so far

Some optics close to your price range, an maybe a little bit more. They are within your price point if you are not opposed to used optics:

Vortex Optics Viper PST 4-16 or 6-24 offered in both Mrad and MOA, FFP and SFP
Bushnell Elite Tactical series
Burris XTR series

Bushnell offers some nice zoom range on the low end and high end. Eg. 3.5-21x or 4.5-30x
Vortex will be the cheapest of all 3 and offers a great lifetime warranty, but there have been some reports of some people needing to utilize that warranty. I personally had to have Vortex cleanout one of my optics which has dust inside, creating an optical artifact. I had no issues with they taking it back and fixing the issue. They make a nice product for the price.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/23/2016 12:57:20 AM EDT
[#20]
The rifle.  Lots of people have had them on order for months.  Ruger is having a hard time keeping up.  I looked forever and had one on order and finally found one at a gun show for a price I was willing to pay.  I hope you get it I was just warning in case you weren't aware how rare they are right now.  
View All Quotes

Ya, thats fine. I have mine on order from a pretty well respected distributor. I am in no rush though and would actually prefer it take a couple months to get in ha. I have a hunting trip to south africa in June that im paying the rest off of.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 1:00:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: stxdeadI] [#21]

I think you need to rethink the whole "sniper" thing. You can't just "be" a sniper. It takes thousands of dollars worth of equipment, training, and experience. You need other observation devices, range finder, kestrel, bi pods, bags, night vision, so on and so forth. Competitive shotgun shooting has virtually zero correlation with long range precision shooting.
Get the rifle,  get a fixed 10x super sniper on the low end, a Burris XTRII on the high end of your budget and shoot and enjoy your rifle. Once you start shooting and learning, the whole "sniper" thing will become clearer to you; and you'll probably look back on this thread and laugh.
Full disclaimer; not a sniper, nor have been trained as one. Just a semi- competitive long range precision shooter.
View All Quotes

budget is about 1k

Like I mentioned several times before, this is primarily a hunting and fun gun with the possibility of using it for more serious work in the future
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 2:26:22 AM EDT
[#22]

View All Quotes

budget is about 1k

Police "snipers" are way different than military snipers.  The training course here is one week.  Ours don't really like to be called "snipers", they lack any sort of field craft training.  They prefer "sharpshooter".  They qualify at 100 yards and usually set up within 50 yards of a target, they would have to really try to setup  a shot much farther than 100 yards.  They don't have range finders, Kestrels (don't really need one inside 100 yards), or any way to attach NV to their rifles.  His department may have some of that equipment.

If you want illumination for under $1000, you're best bet is probably going to be something in the Vortex PST line.  You can get a Bushnell Elite DMR 3.5-21x for about $1000, but no illumination.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 10:37:19 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By dangerranger61007:

Police "snipers" are way different than military snipers.  The training course here is one week.  Ours don't really like to be called "snipers", they lack any sort of field craft training.  They prefer "sharpshooter".  They qualify at 100 yards and usually set up within 50 yards of a target, they would have to really try to setup  a shot much farther than 100 yards.  They don't have range finders, Kestrels (don't really need one inside 100 yards), or any way to attach NV to their rifles.  His department may have some of that equipment.

If you want illumination for under $1000, you're best bet is probably going to be something in the Vortex PST line.  You can get a Bushnell Elite DMR 3.5-21x for about $1000, but no illumination.
View All Quotes

budget is about 1k

I disagree with you. Why wouldn't they equip themselves for the task at hand? There will be further shoots than 100 yards as an LE sniper, but more importantly is observation. Why wouldn't a sharpshooter, sniper, whatever want equipped with necessary equipment? They don't need night vision because crime only happens in the day?
Don't try to confuse others on their needs just because your department does a sub-par job with their sniper/sharpshooter program. I mean no rangefinders!? Seriously?
Again, any special unit in LE that is formed under the "SWAT" term, should be formed with the mindset of using special weapons and tactics to save lives. Would you want someone taking a shot that has to save your life without the proper gear? If I'm a hostage, or a pinned down LEO, or whatever, I want the sniper to have every tool he needs to end the situation as quickly and safely as possible. Same goes for someone holding a cell phone instead of a gun or whatever; your sniper needs to be able to ID and convey that info. Good glass is a requirement.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 11:46:55 PM EDT
[#24]
lee harvey oswald seemed to do a prety good job with out a range finder and kestrel . at what point would an leo need to make a 200-300 yd shot ? not being a smartass just curious .
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 12:29:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MS556] [#25]
A good scope for a law enforcement "sharpshooter" might be a fixed 6x or 10x  scope with fine duplex type reticle and capped turrets as shots will be 200 yards or less and bullet drop is not a factor.

If possible longer shots are needed, then Leupold has a 10x fixed Mark 4 with capped turrets but the milrad based TMR reticle.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 2:28:38 AM EDT
[#26]
Budgets are not unlimited.  As a taxpayer, I would be irate if I found out our sharpshooters each had $10,000+ in equipment.

You probably don't need 20x on the high end for work.  In fact, something like a 2.5-10x might be ideal.  I would want illuminated reticle.

However, sounds like this is more for personal use for now, and you are wanting to get into LR shooting.  Some people use 10x scopes out to 1,000 yards.  I like high magnification.  I would decide what you want for the LR shooting hobby and just start with that.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 2:39:09 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By jwb47:
lee harvey oswald seemed to do a prety good job with out a range finder and kestrel . at what point would an leo need to make a 200-300 yd shot ? not being a smartass just curious .
View Quote

A full value 20 mph wind would cause about 6-14 inches worth of wind drift from 200-300 yards respectively from a .308 168 grain TAP. Just food for thought for you. Draw your own conclusions.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 2:49:01 AM EDT
[#28]
Budgets are not unlimited.  As a taxpayer, I would be irate if I found out our sharpshooters each had $10,000+ in equipment.

You probably don't need 20x on the high end for work.  In fact, something like a 2.5-10x might be ideal.  I would want illuminated reticle.

However, sounds like this is more for personal use for now, and you are wanting to get into LR shooting.  Some people use 10x scopes out to 1,000 yards.  I like high magnification.  I would decide what you want for the LR shooting hobby and just start with that.
View Quote

Go back to GD then and bitch about LE budgets. You're obviously not aware of what it costs just to put a uniformed officer on the street patrolling.
I'd rather agencies spend $10k on a sniper program that's professional and effective, rather than millions in lawsuits for your dream sharpshooters to go out there with his turdy aught six.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 3:01:18 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By MS556:
A good scope for a law enforcement "sharpshooter" might be a fixed 6x or 10x  scope with fine duplex type reticle and capped turrets as shots will be 200 yards or less and bullet drop is not a factor.

If possible longer shots are needed, then Leupold has a 10x fixed Mark 4 with capped turrets but the milrad based TMR reticle.
View Quote

I really don't understand why you feel that limiting yourself with aancient technology is a good thing. Run some numbers in a ballistics calculator. Again, wind drift and bullet drop and angle are all definitely relevant; especially when trying to make a CNS i.e. head shot.
Leupold Mark 4s are way down on my list of preferred optics anymore.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 5:26:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BushmasterGuy77] [#30]
If you're gonna use it on duty, I'd recommend the Vortex Razor HD II 3-18x50.

ETA: I feel that that locking turrets and variable power is important for that role.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 8:04:05 PM EDT
[#31]

Thx for the helpful post man, Im new to this field of shooting. Been shooting shotguns competitively most of my adult life. I have about 2 years around the AR platform and zero experience with precision rifles. This is why I ask for help from those more experienced.
View All Quotes

So are you buying this for your work as a law enforcement officer, or not?  Very confusing whether you are saying if you get paid to do this and will be protecting the public, or are just implying that you might need to shoot someone at 100-200 yds sometime in the future.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 10:04:01 PM EDT
[#32]
I just put a Ruger RPR in .308 on order and shouldn't be too long I hope. I am now concerned with which scope to equip it with. I will be using it for hunting and fun shooting for now but will also use it for duty if that opportunity presents itself in the future.

I am looking for zoom from around 3-4x to 20x if possible. I am looking for MOA adjustment system as well as an illuminated reticle. My budget is up to 1k and if I am missing any details on this topic please request them and Ill reply with as much info as I can provide.
View Quote

Having spent 12 years doing what you may need this rifle for, I'll offer some advice.

You're about where you want to be as far as magnification.  I ran a USO 3.2-17X for years and it worked very well.  Your primary role will be observing and relaying information, a fixed 10x doesn't work very well.  The additional magnification will be welcome at times, even when you're 60 yards out.  I rarely dialed down below 10x so I wouldn't put a huge priority on the low end.

If you're more comfortable with MOA stick with it.  I used it (and still do) and it works fine.  

Laying behind a piece of glass for hours on end will take its toll.  This is where the quality of the glass really makes a difference.  If you can wait, save more money and spend as much as you can afford to get good quality.  I just sold a Vortex Razor Gen II 3-18x and the glass was excellent.  They're heavy but weight was never a factor on the job, I found a way to take up a supported position every single time.

I just ordered a Nightforce SHV 4-14x50 F1 today from Mile High Shooting Accessories which will be here Friday.  I can let you know what I think when it gets here but it's got some nice features for the money and if the glass is near where the NXS scopes I've owned were it will be a good option, particularly with the discount NF offers for LE.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 10:38:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Has this tech forum turned into GD too??

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top