Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/15/2015 9:14:36 PM EDT
I'm looking for my first bolt and I'd prefer it to be in .300 win mag. I'd like to stay under a $1000 for budget. Some good features would be, threaded barrel for a brake, decent trigger, detachable magazine, easily fitted with a scope and bipod, and an adjustable stock (or stock options that can adjust). I understand I may not find all of that for under a $1000 so if there is a rifle fitting that description close to that budget feel free to list it. Thanks for your input.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 12:50:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 07AMF] [#1]
You should be able to get a Savage 111 in that range. I don't know if they offer factory threaded barrels. You would have to get an aftermarket adjustable stock.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:34:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Jetpig] [#2]
I would not hesitate to get one of the models offered by Savage.  They are out of the box one of the most accurate rifles out there.
This is what I put together and I bought everything when I found it on sale.
Initial purchase, Savage WW 300 WM accustock, accutrigger. Think I got it for right around $450 on sale.  Removed and sold barrel for $150.  Removed and sold stock for $100
Purchases
Criterion 300WM 26"varmint barrel $300
Choate stock $170
tactical bolt handle $25
Bottom metal $200
20MOA rail $25
Vortex rings $80
Burris TAC 30 mil dot 6.5-20X 50MM $350

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:31:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Savages are a good option.  I personally have a Savage Bear Hunter in 300 win mag.  It's accurate, better than I am on a lot of days.  The only down side to the bear hunter is you lose some velocity due to the shorter barrel.  Mine took a little break in, but after some rounds, it's consistently accurate.  I just give up 100 fps over published load data due to the shorter barrel.  It makes it only about 100 fps faster than a 30.06 with a 26 inch barrel.  I'd trade my bear hunter for a savage long range hunter in .300 win mag without any concerns.  
Note that a .300 win mag without a brake will be a challenging first bolt gun - the recoil is significant.  A pad, suppressor, or brake make it much more tolerable.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:09:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the input, I'll look at some Savage Rifles at the local gs tomorrow. I have an LMT LM8, so this will be about one step above in recoil, going fro 7.62 to .300wm. I wouldn't think the recoil qwould be such a violent shift for me.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 2:30:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By RMcKean:
Thanks for the input, I'll look at some Savage Rifles at the local gs tomorrow. I have an LMT LM8, so this will be about one step above in recoil, going fro 7.62 to .300wm. I wouldn't think the recoil qwould be such a violent shift for me.
View Quote

Recoil managment isn't one of the fundamentals to marksmanship
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 3:01:06 AM EDT
[#6]
View Quote

If the rifle doesn't have a brake on it you'd be surprised how much recoil they can have. If you live in north FL your welcome to try my Savage out.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:23:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Hawkeye29:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Hawkeye29:

Good thing I didn't say anything about marksmanship then.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:25:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By sagillman:

If the rifle doesn't have a brake on it you'd be surprised how much recoil they can have. If you live in north FL your welcome to try my Savage out.
<a href="http://s856.photobucket.com/user/sagillman/media/Savage/IMG_0493_zpse317dab0.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i856.photobucket.com/albums/ab126/sagillman/Savage/IMG_0493_zpse317dab0.jpg</a>
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By sagillman:

<a href="http://s856.photobucket.com/user/sagillman/media/Savage/IMG_0493_zpse317dab0.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i856.photobucket.com/albums/ab126/sagillman/Savage/IMG_0493_zpse317dab0.jpg</a>

I appreciate your offer but I'm down in central FL. Thanks though.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 6:39:28 PM EDT
[#9]

View Quote

My .300 kicks about like a 12 guage unsupressed without a brake. But then angain, it weighs 18 pounds dry.

I could shoot it all day
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 9:10:11 PM EDT
[#10]
here my setup on this Savage

110 action
300 Win Mag
Choate Ultimate Sniper Stock
Shilen Select Match Barrel
AAC Muzzle Brake
PTG Bolt Body Spiral Fluted
Timney Trigger 2.5 lbs
EGW 20 moa base
Super Sniper 30 mm Rings
Vortex 6-24x50 Viper PST
Vortex 30mm Bubble Level
Vortex Switchview Throwlever modified to fit the Pst
Black Hawk 6X9 Swivel Loc Bipod
Bulter Creek Magnum Sling .

Tactical Accuracy & Precision in Boonville, MO installed the Shilen barrel and trued the action and installed the barrel nut. The barrel was turned down to 5/8x24 with an AAC muzzle brake, and the action/barrel were cerakoted cobalt grey by TAAP.

http://www.tacticalaccuracyprecision.com/

rifle weighs 18 lbs loaded
recoil is around a 308
this 300 really likes the Sierra 200 & 208 amax

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 11:23:53 PM EDT
[#11]
As others have mentioned, the recoil increase of 300 WM is significant.  My Savage has on on/off muzzle brake.  It's tolerable with the brake off for a few shots in the field, but I wouldn't shoot it at the bench that way.  I leave the brake on in the field, and just carry hearing protection.  Otherwise, ringing in my ears from 1 shot in the field indicates that it's damaging my hearing.  At the range, I actually double up and wear ear plugs with muffs over, because it's that loud.  My setup weighs about 11 pounds with scope and bipod, so it's not doing a lot to tame the recoil besides the brake.  To me, 7mm Rem Mag with 140 grain bullets in a hunting weight rifle is the high end of recoil I'll tolerate at the range, and I'm only good for 40 rounds with my 7mm rifle.  With a shoulder recoil shield, I'm good for about 60.  With the brake on my 300, I can shoot until I run out of ammo with no degradation in my accuracy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top