Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/14/2015 12:36:07 AM EDT
I'm looking at getting into a precision rifle. I'm looking to get a Remington 700 to start with and build it out over time. I will eventually re-barrel it and put it on a different chassis. So my question is if I'm going to only use the action down the road does it matter which 700 I get? There are a lot of different designations like: SPS, BDL. Are the actions all the same?
Thanks
Rob
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 1:04:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By sfno72:
I'm looking at getting into a precision rifle. I'm looking to get a Remington 700 to start with and build it out over time. I will eventually re-barrel it and put it on a different chassis. So my question is if I'm going to only use the action down the road does it matter which 700 I get? There are a lot of different designations like: SPS, BDL. Are the actions all the same?
Thanks
Rob
View Quote

Yes all 700 short actions are the same.  Long actions are different than short actions.

A 700 is a good base rifle.  I have a 700 5R in 223 and it's scary accurate .
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 1:39:39 AM EDT
[#2]
They tend to be highly accurate rifles, especially considering the price point.  As far as the various actions goes, the only big difference among the 700's is weather you want SA or LA.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 1:48:10 AM EDT
[#3]
If you're just going to use the action, it doesn't matter.

Otherwise, look for a model with a serial number that starts with an engraved G.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 10:36:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ziarifleman:

Otherwise, look for a model with a serial number that starts with an engraved G.
View Quote

What does the "G" stand for? Also, I'm plan on ending up with a 6BR or 6PPC rifle. Should I use the SA or the LA?
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 10:52:56 AM EDT
[#5]

What does the "G" stand for? Also, I'm plan on ending up with a 6BR or 6PPC rifle. Should I use the SA or the LA?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

You'd want a short action for that, but if you're going to get a PPC, it's going to require enough work that I'd recommend a custom action.

The 700s have an alpha-numeric prefix, except for the earliest models, with A, B, C, D, E, G, or RR preceding the numbers.
There are some subtle variations between each series, and in my experience the serial number range G were very good. For a 700.

Link Posted: 1/14/2015 1:05:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Freedom Group
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 12:05:29 AM EDT
[#7]

Originally Posted By Quackhead69:

Freedom Group
View Quote
14'er

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:16:48 AM EDT
[#8]
U

You'd want a short action for that, but if you're going to get a PPC, it's going to require enough work that I'd recommend a custom action.

The 700s have an alpha-numeric prefix, except for the earliest models, with A, B, C, D, E, G, or RR preceding the numbers.
There are some subtle variations between each series, and in my experience the serial number range G were very good. For a 700.

View All Quotes

Ok this is the first I have heard about the alphanumeric numbering system.  Does this correspond to years of manufacture?  Also, the RR is an odd ball prefix, out of sequence, what does the RR mean?  Mine has this prefix in the serial number.
Thanks,

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 12:30:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By 77Bronc:
U

Ok this is the first I have heard about the alphanumeric numbering system.  Does this correspond to years of manufacture?  Also, the RR is an odd ball prefix, out of sequence, what does the RR mean?  Mine has this prefix in the serial number.
Thanks,

View All Quotes
U

Thanks,

It roughly corresponds to years, but it more like generations. I haven't seen documentation of what corresponds with a year, other than 5 and 6 digit guns being very early.
"A" seems to be early 70s, with the series progressing from there, though not in a linear fashion. They made a TON of rifles between 2000 and now, which about when G started, and it's by far the most common.

RR is the code they started using after becoming Freedom Group.

I've also seen "S" and "T" for stainless and titanium actions respectively.

I've never seen an F.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 1:55:37 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a 6br that was built from an "F" receiver.  From my records, it started as a .243 youth model.  Never bothered to contact Big Green to find the build date.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:04:47 PM EDT
[#11]
I have bought the adl scoped model at walmart for all my builds. I strip them down and start building. I put the barrel and scope on eBay and usually get around $150 for them. The last one I bought before Xmas was $375 so after I sold the barrel and scope I basically paid $225 for it. Now it's a 6x47lapua with a bartlien barrel sitting in a manners t5 elite with a nightforce f1 on top.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:17:20 PM EDT
[#12]

It roughly corresponds to years, but it more like generations. I haven't seen documentation of what corresponds with a year, other than 5 and 6 digit guns being very early.
"A" seems to be early 70s, with the series progressing from there, though not in a linear fashion. They made a TON of rifles between 2000 and now, which about when G started, and it's by far the most common.

I've never seen an F.
View All Quotes
U

Thanks,

I've never seen an F.

Is there any downside to a RR rifle?  I have a SPS tactical that I am investing a lot of money into, building my tactical rifle like I want it.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:43:25 AM EDT
[#13]

Is there any downside to a RR rifle?  I have a SPS tactical that I am investing a lot of money into, building my tactical rifle like I want it.

View Quote

Once they're trued up, they're as good as any other. The bolt handle might need to be reset, but that's not uncommon. A lot of guns need that.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:49:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dangerdan] [#14]

I've never seen an F.
View All Quotes

U

Thanks,

I've never seen an F.

I have an F prefix (Model 700 Varmint Synthetic in .308). It's a good rifle. Made in early 2000s

G and E prefix are sought after for M40A3/5 cloners.

I though I saw somewhere where the newer "E" were made around 2010?

To accurately date an M700 receiver, you need to look at the barrel too. Although my F prefix model 700 doesn't have any date codes on the barrel.

My long action .300 custom gun is an A prefix.

ETA: I was thinking of the barrel letters

http://www.remingtonsociety.com/rsa/questions/barrelcodes

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top