Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/25/2016 6:56:52 PM EDT
on a Savage 12 LRP. Really I just swapped out the stock. It's a laser beam. I've used it prone out to about 800. Groups like a champ and is super flat vs my 308 I shoot otherwise. The thing is, the barrel is so damn heavy on the LRP that it's difficult to shoot any position other than prone. Any suggestions on replacement barrels for this so I can take mid range game shots offhand? I don't wanna compromise on accuracy. Also, just got my first suppressor in, I'd like my new barrel to have a 5/8 thread. Any suggestions on brand and countours? I've never swapped a barrel, so I'm not sure what is the best balance of weight, accuracy, length, and price.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 7:33:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GMZ] [#1]
Do you want a barrel solely for hunting? Or one that you can shoot both range and hunting?

If you skew one way or the other you will be set up for disappointment, go too thin and your barrel heats up too fast, go too heavy and...well you know that part already.

If you truly want to try and shoot the middle look at a bull sporter contour, I have a Brux #5 for a similar set up.

Not all contours are the same between each maker so you'll have to look at the dimensions.

ETA: Here is a link to Thunder Beast's website where they have a thread spec sheet. Looks like .725 is the min for 5/8-24 although I have seen people with smaller than that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top