Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/16/2014 10:53:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Paulie771]
Did you trade in the first gen scope for a newer generation?  If so, how did you do it?  I keep reading about people doing it but can't find anything online regarding procedure or who to contact now that Gibbs is out of that particular game.  I've tried contacting Hi-lux but haven't heard anything back from them yet.

Otherwise, what do you think of your rifle?  I just picked mine up and haven't had a chance to shoot it yet.  Would love to trade this first gen POS "scope" for one of the newer/est ones, but I'm afraid they've stopped the trade in program.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 3:16:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 67cobra] [#1]
As far as scopes, you can pick up a set of leupold STD mounts and put whatever scope you want on it. They're the same style mount. They took a little bit of filing to make'em fit though.

As for the rifle, I could never get it to group, come to find out the rifle broke the recoil lug area inside the stock and the reciever was moving back and forth. Probably not a common problem. I'm now waiting on a new c-stock from boyds then maybe I can actually see how it shoots.

Only problem otherwise was the extractor was letting go of the empty cases and leaving them sitting on top of the magazine. Looks like when they welded the firing pin hole during the rifles initial deactivation, the buggered up the claw. Easy fix and probably unique to my rifle.

Can't tell you much about the scope trade in. I have the Gen2 scope.
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 4:12:49 PM EDT
[#2]
This really depends on what you want to do with the rifle.  If you want to keep it CMP Vintage Sniper legal then you are limited to a certain number of options for optics.  If you just want to shoot it then sky is the limit.  

Mine came from Creedmoor Sports.  Same gun as yours.  Made by Rock Ridge Machine Works in PA.  Had the M73G2 on it and it had some issues.  Sent it to RRMW and they swapped it for a M73G4.  I ended up selling the G4, chicom rings and base and installing a Lyman Alaskan and authentic Redfield period correct hardware.  

The stocks need work right out of the box and the 03A3 stamped trigger guards suck on these soft Italian (Minelli) stocks.  They continue to compress resulting in loss of clamping load and allow the action to shift.  

My A4orgery doesn't much resemble what I originally purchased.  I've replaced the stock, new bolt sleeve with forged handle, 1903 trigger guard, aforementioned optics and a few other odds and ends.  Shoots well now.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 5:34:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By jaroot:
This really depends on what you want to do with the rifle.  If you want to keep it CMP Vintage Sniper legal then you are limited to a certain number of options for optics.  If you just want to shoot it then sky is the limit.  

Mine came from Creedmoor Sports.  Same gun as yours.  Made by Rock Ridge Machine Works in PA.  Had the M73G2 on it and it had some issues.  Sent it to RRMW and they swapped it for a M73G4.  I ended up selling the G4, chicom rings and base and installing a Lyman Alaskan and authentic Redfield period correct hardware.  

The stocks need work right out of the box and the 03A3 stamped trigger guards suck on these soft Italian (Minelli) stocks.  They continue to compress resulting in loss of clamping load and allow the action to shift.  

My A4orgery doesn't much resemble what I originally purchased.  I've replaced the stock, new bolt sleeve with forged handle, 1903 trigger guard, aforementioned optics and a few other odds and ends.  Shoots well now.
View Quote

I'm going to miss this ole girl, but I'm looking forward to what is going to replace her.  Great way to spend part of this day.

Tennessee, patron state of shooting stuff.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top