Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/24/2016 4:33:55 PM EDT
I have 10 magazines for my AI AT but was wondering if they are likely to ever wear out due to use?  This doesn't consider damage from drops or the like but simply springs/follower wearing out and things of that nature.

I realistically will only put 20K rounds through my rifle over the next 10-15 years but wondered if I should grab a few more magazines as there are some really good deals going on right now.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 4:56:44 PM EDT
[#1]
danm i hope not, I only own 2 and they were SPENDY
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 4:57:56 PM EDT
[#2]
i've shot 48 PRS style matches since 2011 using the same 4 AICS mags until this year when i put number 5 into the rotation and took number 3 out because of feeding issues.     1, 2 and 4 look pretty dang rough.  yours should go 20k rounds though. mine are well past that (the group though, not any individual magazine)
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 5:00:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Firestarter123] [#3]
The only thing that really concerns me is the fact that while AICS magazines are made by multiple manufacturers AI themselves are the only ones that make the AW/AT magazines aren't they?

ETA: It is good to know that the AICS magazines are pretty tough.  I would be fine with selling my new in the wrapper AW magazines 30 years from now because I never needed them.  I just know what a used magazine for a Winchester Model 88/100 brings now and never want to be in that position.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 5:13:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Lexington] [#4]
Please steer me to the deals for AICS mags. Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 5:23:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Firestarter123] [#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Lexington:
Please steer me to the deals for AICS mags. Thanks.
View Quote

To clarify these are AT/AW magazines (0726) they are NOT AICS magazines (3901/3902).

Accurate Ordnance is selling them for $60ea right now as they bought a bunch of them.  It is $15 to ship 5 of them via USPS Priority Mail.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 9:25:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By jlficken:
I have 10 magazines for my AI AT but was wondering if they are likely to ever wear out due to use?  This doesn't consider damage from drops or the like but simply springs/follower wearing out and things of that nature.

I realistically will only put 20K rounds through my rifle over the next 10-15 years but wondered if I should grab a few more magazines as there are some really good deals going on right now.
View Quote

Pretty much everything is a "consumable" if you look at it long-term.  Your barrel will wear out.  Have you stashed away a spare or two?

You're far more likely to lose a mag or damage it through accident than to wear one out.  Springs, sure--they weaken after a LOT of cycles, but let's do the math...
20k rounds spread across ten mags is 2k rounds per mag.  That's 200 cycles per 10 round mag.  I don't know the specs on the AI springs, but I guarantee they're rated for more than 200 cycles (like by a factor of maybe 100x).

If you're seriously wondering about longevity, you should be able to buy replacement springs a lot cheaper than complete mags.  But if you just like the idea of having more mags (and who doesn't?), buy as many as you can afford!
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 9:38:38 PM EDT
[#7]
I do have 2 spare plain barrels stashed away right now plus the Cover barrel/suppressor so I am good there.

I imagine you are right about the spring life and would bet that they are good for much more than 200 cycles.

I am thinking that having spares is more for loss/damage than wear at the time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top