Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/8/2015 4:19:33 PM EDT
So I just put a new Remington 700 LR in .300 Winchester Magnum on layaway at one of my fun stores I frequent.  For optics, I will be going with my old standby, a Leupold Mk4 with the M1 turrets.  However, when it comes to the base, I'm not sure if I want to stick with a 20 MOA base like I use on my .308 Remington 700 or should I consider going with a 30 MOA base for added range?  My KD range is marked out to 1,000 meters but I can extend it out to a full 2,000 meters should I feel the need which is why I am considering the 30 MOA base.  However, will I be able to still bring my adjustments low enough to get on target at shorter ranges like 100 meters?
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 11:43:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Kinda a wobbler with how far you're trying to get which is just outside the supersonic flight area of a 220gn 300WM load. What I would suggest so that you minimize the amount of times you have to buy the same part, get the 20MOA base and pick up a set of Burris Signature Series Zee rings (assuming your scope is a 30mm tube model). They come with eccentric inserts that you can use to dial in -20MOA,-10MOA, 0MOA, +10MOA,+20MOA. That way if you find you need the extra 10MOA or 20MOA even, you can dial it in by flipping the eccentrics in the appropriate manner. I use them exclusively. They also completely prevent scope finishes from being marred by rings.

One thing though. The ER/T line of MKIV's come with an advertised 60MOA of up in them according to my research (I don't use Loopy Mk-anythings). At sea level you'll need 80MOA or better total which puts you all the way at the dial limit of a loopy no matter how you slice it. I don't know how tied you are to the loopy scope but you might consider a brand or model with more up in the turret. 80MOA at least, 100 would be better. You don't want to use the extremes of a scopes adjustment limit. Makes for optical problems.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 3:03:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dangerdan] [#2]
I have an S&B 5-25 on my .300 WM (34mm Tube). IIRC, S&B stated that 40MOA cant is ideal to achieve the best use for that optic. I went with 30 MOA.

Not sure how much elevation you have in your tube, but mine is zero'd at 100 yards. Unlike you, I cannot aim-in on a target above my center crosshair (H-59 reticle)

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 1:26:12 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a 40moa base on my 700, with my 30mm Mark4 I had about 1mil to spare at my 100yard zero.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 2:30:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Without knowing exactly how much UP your Mk 4 scope has, I can't say for sure, but I'd be surprised if 20 MOA is INsufficient to get you out to 1000m with any bullet worth a damn.

Chris
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:06:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ChrisGarrett:
Without knowing exactly how much UP your Mk 4 scope has, I can't say for sure, but I'd be surprised if 20 MOA is INsufficient to get you out to 1000m with any bullet worth a damn.

Chris
View Quote

I think he is looking to take it transonic.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 12:27:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By popnfresh:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By popnfresh:
Originally Posted By ChrisGarrett:

Chris

Thanks.  I glossed over that tidbit about 2000m, lol.

My Sako 338LM's 3 ring mount is 30 MOA and with my SB 5-25, Sako claims 2000m is doable.

Chris
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top