Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 8/10/2007 1:38:02 PM EDT
Ontario RAT-7 for $82.99 or
Gerber LMF II Knife, Black Infantry Knife for $59.99

this will be used mostly on camping/fishing/hiking trips which i go on probably a dozen a year...did i mention i use them and abuse them...im pretty set on one of these two i just need to hear what some of you more experienced knive guru's have to say
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 1:55:40 PM EDT
I like the plaine edge of the Rat.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 2:00:28 PM EDT
Don't know about the RAT-7, but my RAT-5 is one of my favorite knives, it holds a great edge and is virtually bullet proof.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 4:10:03 PM EDT
Go with the plane edge rat. I didnt like my gerber and sold it.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 4:18:14 PM EDT
I'd go with the Rat, it will stand up to harsh use better than the Gerber.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 4:28:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/10/2007 4:30:42 PM EDT by 45JHP]
What's with the 'tactical' knives for general purpose outdoor use? Neither one of those blades are ideal for camping/fishing/hiking. Do you really want to pull out a 7" blade while performing routine camping/fishing/hiking tasks? The Gerber lacks a full tang, and has a rubber-esque handle that will wear down over time. You should look into the Bark River (or similar) line of blades.

That being said, if I had to choose between the two, I guess it would be the RAT. I personally have the RAT 5, and it's a great blade. However, it belongs on web gear, not on a belt. JMHO.

`45
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 4:49:43 PM EDT
I went with the RAT-7. I got a great price from Cumberland Knife Works. Great people to deal with, and it came to me very quickly.

It only cost me $87.69 shipped.

Here is a link to the thread I did on it.
RAT-7 link
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 5:13:42 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 5:25:11 PM EDT
i just carry and use what works best for me there is no rhyme or reason...i carry a big knife now on my trips (k-bar) and it gets used alot...i just buy and use what i like if it doesnt work well for me i will throw it in my drawer and just buy another k-bar...thanks for all the opinions i will take a picture and post it when the rat gets here...thanks
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 6:53:23 PM EDT
Go with the ontario , you will be happy
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 7:26:39 PM EDT
For a thread where you will get 100 different answers... I submit my humble oppinion:

This my field knife and what I would recommend.

http://www.barkriverknifetool.com/professional/foxriver/largeknives/TradDarkCurlyMapMosPin.jpg

Bark River - Fox River

The Bark River Knife & Tool Fox River is the full size hunting and field knife of the Professional Series. This larger knife has been designed as a general purpose knife. It has all the fast handling characteristics of the smaller knives of this series, with a bit more handle girth, blade height and length. You will find it to be the perfect hunter's companion. The Fox River easily handles field dressing chores from medium game like whitetail up to the largest game animals in North America. It also will handle most Bushcraft chores with ease.

Blade Steel: A-2 Tool Steel
Hardness:59-60RC Blade
Thickness:.170 inches
Blade Length:4.25 inches
Overall Length:8.5 inches
Weight:5.8 ounces

Link Posted: 8/10/2007 7:53:13 PM EDT
I love my RAT 3, so I vote for the RAT 7. Great knive, good balance, good edge.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 8:09:19 PM EDT
Another +1 for Bark River. Mike Stewart and his crew are some of the best folks out there. I just got a Bravo-1, and it's been on my hip everyday for a month now. I love it. I gotta get a leather sheath now so I can piggyback a Mikro on it.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 8:56:10 PM EDT
Geez,giving the guy grief about a 7' knife.What would you think of me.I carry a Busse Battle Mistress into the woods.
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 6:31:02 AM EDT
Between the two, it would definately be the RAT-7. The RAT-7 will make a great all-round knife for a lot of tasks...it won't do them all that well; it will excel with the large-knife tasks and be less adequate for the smaller ones. No big deal, just keep that in mind. My only recommendation on top of the RAT-7 would be a simple $10 Mora to help with the actual camp chores such as cleaning/skinning game, food prep and other small-blade stuff.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 6:45:25 AM EDT
I like the gerber allthough it doesnt seem too popular here. I have used the thing to chop brush around my deck twice, it holds an edge and with the built in sharpener in the shealth real easy to touch up the edge.
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 6:52:21 AM EDT

Originally Posted By MadBodhi:
Geez,giving the guy grief about a 7' knife.What would you think of me.I carry a Busse Battle Mistress into the woods.

Only the BM why not the american kensei-47
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 9:12:51 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Sapper76:

Originally Posted By MadBodhi:

Only the BM why not the american kensei-47

Maybe if i lived in Panama or the Amazon .A big blade can skin game and any number of mundane camp chores with a little technique AND can do the bullwork of building a shelter or a nice sit down crapper.I have a Busse Badger ATAC thats about the size of the RAT5.Very handy for tent camping or short hikes but for grabbing a tarp and a knife and heading out to the backcountry I prefer a 7" or larger blade.YMMV.
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 9:18:53 AM EDT
I too think the Gerber is a pretty solid knife.
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 1:08:11 PM EDT
i carry a filet knife when im camping/hiking/fishing and a razor folding blade from home depot (i use braided line fishing) i should have stated that before...the rat will be used for larger chores and eventually smaller ones when i get the hang of the knife...
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 2:27:24 PM EDT
I have that Gerber and its a great knife, will take an amazing amount of abuse.
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 3:57:01 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 6:06:17 PM EDT
get the gerber
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 6:11:32 PM EDT
I have the same Gerber knife (Green) and love it. $60 is a steal.
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 6:49:35 PM EDT
I'd go with the Ontario. I have
SP3 Bayonet

and the SP-14 10" tanto

Both are very sturdy and seem to hold an edge very well.
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 2:57:33 AM EDT

Originally Posted By TomJefferson:
<snip> my favorite knife is a SOG Seal Pup. I have two, the Elite and Std model. I leave the SOG Seal Pup Elite at home using it only for like truck camping or hike which is low use for me compared to my boat. My boat I keep the less expensive Seal Pup. It sees alot more use and has a much higher probability of being lost like 80' down in Davy Jones Locker.

Tj

Dammit TJ, your post just cost me 60 bucks.
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 4:44:19 AM EDT

Originally Posted By stocklx:

this will be used mostly on camping/fishing/hiking trips which i go on probably a dozen a year...did i mention i use them and abuse them...im pretty set on one of these two i just need to hear what some of you more experienced knive guru's have to say

Oh btw, once you decide which one you will be getting, let us know where you found the gerber for that price. I got the tan one for $80 plus shipping from ebay.
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 7:10:51 AM EDT

Originally Posted By colklink:

Oh btw, once you decide which one you will be getting, let us know where you found the gerber for that price. I got the tan one for $80 plus shipping from ebay.

Right Here:

cheap lmf2
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 7:29:46 AM EDT

Originally Posted By militantzero:

Originally Posted By colklink:

Right Here:

cheap lmf2

+1

After shipping I picked it up for ~$65.

For camping and hard use it works very well. I've used the butt as an impromptu tent stake hammer, hacked limbs for kindling, and general use.

If you do decide to get the gerber, mke sure you pick up the ASEK version as it comes with a free emergency/para cord cutter knife in it's own sheath.

Speaking of which, the LMFII sheath straps nicely on my pack.
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 8:17:22 AM EDT
All right lets break it down

Gerber LMF II $60
Ranger Knives- RD 6 $90
Ontario- Rat 7 D2 $110
Scrapyard Knives- Yard Hook $120
Spyderco- Dayhiker $162
Swamp Rat- M6 $180
Fehrman Knives- Last Chance Knife $240
Busse Combat- Badger Attack $270
Oberland Knives-O3 $360

Thats price listed numerically and almost listed right with knife quality, gerber will always be last on that list. I have no idea how Oberland or Fehrman knives fare, I hear great things about them though. I'd recommend not going cheap on a fixed blade, the higher the price on this list usually coincides with the better the blade steel.
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 8:30:03 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Sapper76:
All right lets break it down

Gerber LMF II $60
Ranger Knives- RD 6 $90
Ontario- Rat 7 D2 $110
Scrapyard Knives- Yard Hook $120
Spyderco- Dayhiker $162
Swamp Rat- M6 $180
Fehrman Knives- Last Chance Knife $240
Busse Combat- Badger Attack $270
Oberland Knives-O3 $360

Thats price listed numerically and almost listed right with knife quality, gerber will always be last on that list. I have no idea how Oberland or Fehrman knives fare, I hear great things about them though. I'd recommend not going cheap on a fixed blade, the higher the price on this list usually coincides with the better the blade steel.

although I'm positive those knives listed use better steel, are differentially hardened, and are sculpted by hand.

there aren't many people who'll put a $300 to hard use.

So, while I am in no way recommending the Gerber LMFII as the ultimate fixed blade, it is cheap enough to use without fear of damage.
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 8:41:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/12/2007 8:43:11 AM EDT by Dance]
I would go with a Ranger RD7. RD6 if you want smaller. RD4 should be out soon. Great knives, great guy to do business with.

http://www.rangerknives.com/

Link Posted: 8/12/2007 9:58:21 AM EDT
Have you considered the SOG seal pup?
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 1:25:24 PM EDT

Originally Posted By rob78:

although I'm positive those knives listed use better steel, are differentially hardened, and are sculpted by hand.

there aren't many people who'll put a $300 to hard use.

So, while I am in no way recommending the Gerber LMFII as the ultimate fixed blade, it is cheap enough to use without fear of damage.

There always is that fear especially if the knife maker does not have a good warranty, but those listed near the top have really good warranties. I know for a fact that scrapyard/swamp rat/ Busse will replace any of the blades if you were doing anything besides purposely trying to break the blade.
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 4:14:37 PM EDT
i have the gerber, it is a great survival knife.
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 7:20:33 PM EDT
I'll stand by my choice.

I see alot of recommendations for 9+ inch knives on here. For what the OP discussed as needs, there is no reason for such a large knife. Typically they are overwealming and difficult to control for any detail work.

I've batonned through logs with my knife. Anything longer and I'm apt to use it as a machete.

For Camping/outdoor survival/hiking, I would definately recommend a knife that is designed around these tasks. Having a uber taktical black with camo wash is not going to do much to help you filet a fish or create a shelter. The devil is always in the details.

Most people buy knives for how they look.... not how they function. I personally carry Mora knives in my BOB. Functionally they are great knives even if they do not look or cost what you would expect.

The choice is yours.... but are you buying the knife because it LOOKs good or because it functionally IS good?

Link Posted: 8/12/2007 7:25:13 PM EDT
I have Benchmade Nimravus D2 smooth edge, and it is great...

my $.02
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 6:56:14 AM EDT
i bought the plain blade rat already it should be here this week...i almost always have a filet knife on my person or in my car/boat seeing as i fish alot...thanks for all the suggestions...
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 7:37:50 AM EDT
I would probably get the Gerber. Ontario makes great blades, I have one of their machetes and love it. But the the Gerber is cheaper and has a little bit better corrosion resistance, if that makes a difference. And you did mention you abuse them. The Rat 7 is a great knife though.
Top Top