Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/17/2011 7:26:31 PM EDT
I know there was a thread on here not too long ago but I can't seem to find it.

Can anyone recommend a software package that is easy to get up and running for PSK and the other digital modes?

I finally got my HTX-10 up and running last weekend.  Haven't had much luck on SSB yet, but I've been getting home too late all week to find a band opening.  Last Sunday I could hear several guys out west working pile-ups into Europe, but they were all calling CQ DX so I didn't respond.  I was able to hear the US side of the conversations but nothing from the European sides.

The Donner digital interface arrived today, so I would like to try PSK this weekend (and maybe RTTY).  There were a lot of strong signals last weekend in the digital portion of the band.
Link Posted: 11/17/2011 7:52:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Which OS? For Windows it's very hard imho to beat DM-780 a la Ham Radio Deluxe. For Linux your best bet is fldigi.
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 4:05:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Which OS? For Windows it's very hard imho to beat DM-780 a la Ham Radio Deluxe. For Linux your best bet is fldigi.
This.

Have a lot of experience with DM-780 and for the Windoze OS it's hard to beat. Only negative is to get the all of the functionality you have to run the rest of the HRD package. Now that I have a Linux box also decided to give Flidigi a try again. Learning curve is a bit steeper but it appears to be a very capable package also. What's cool with Flidigi is that the application looks the same between the two OS so no matter whether I run Win or Linux the buttons are in the same place and do the same thing.
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 4:11:36 AM EDT
[#3]
The Learning PSK31 Thread
that one?  I'm running digipan and fldigi...need to spend more time with it!
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 7:28:30 AM EDT
[#4]
I have used most all of the free PSK-31 programs, and keep coming back to Ham Radio Deluxe's Digital Master 780.  HRD is a huge program, and you can't download just the DM780, unfortunately, but DM780 works like a charm.  Not only PSK-31, but many other digital modes, just click from the drop down menu.
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 8:11:45 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I have used most all of the free PSK-31 programs, and keep coming back to Ham Radio Deluxe's Digital Master 780.  HRD is a huge program, and you can't download just the DM780, unfortunately, but DM780 works like a charm.  Not only PSK-31, but many other digital modes, just click from the drop down menu.

I just upgraded to HRD 5 and it's got some great new features

I love the pop up when a new signal appears on the waterfall
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 3:54:08 PM EDT
[#6]
I have used HRD/DM780 and flidigi extensively. I like fldigi on Windows. It's simple, clean, supports a very large number of modes, has better decode performance than most of the other programs (although DM780 is the hands down winner for PSK decode) and it also supports the RSID (the "thing that pops up when a new signal is detected"). The only things I miss on fldigi compared to DM780 is the ability to control my radio filters and eQSL support, but I think the advantage outweigh those missing functions.

Link Posted: 11/19/2011 8:19:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks everyone, I plan to start playing today.  I primarily use linux but my main desktop will dual boot to either linux or Win7 (mainly for work purposes).  This Asus i3 mobo even has a real 9 pin serial port, so I don't need a USB to serial converter.
Link Posted: 11/19/2011 1:28:15 PM EDT
[#8]
well, since I doubt you can do rig control with an HTX-10,  I'd skip the BLOATED ham radio deluxe DM-780  and try fldigi and DIGIPAN

all are freeware and the two I suggested are simple and easy to use.

HRD is great if your radio can do rig control, but I don't think the HTX-10 can.

I've also used FLDIGI on ubuntu LINUX and it works great.

28.120 USB is were all the PSK is at

Link Posted: 11/19/2011 2:39:14 PM EDT
[#9]
DM-780

/thread

Yeah, it's kind of a resource hog, but you don't need to run the rest of the HRD software. But it kicks the pants off digipan and fldigi. Hard.
Link Posted: 11/19/2011 3:44:20 PM EDT
[#10]
I had a little bit of time to play this afternoon while the band was open.  I tried Digipan first because it seemed easy to use and I just wanted to see if I could receive .  I was able to copy one side of the conversations, mainly those originating from OR, TX, and LA.  The LA station was talking to the Canary Islands and the Azores (based on call signs), while the TX and OR stations were talking to Belgium, France, and Iceland.  My antenna isn't pointing Southeast so it doesn't surprise me that I couldn't hear the island stations, but I was surprised I couldn't hear the Europe stations calling.  The TX and OR stations were booming.

I enabled the serial port in my system's BIOS so I will try and transmit tomorrow.  I switched back to voice at 4pm for the start of the November Sweepstakes contest.  I could only get the high power stations on 10m, someone in CO on 28.380 and a strong MT station on 28.500.  I could barely hear the replies back, but they were working stations at a pretty good clip.
Link Posted: 11/19/2011 5:48:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
DM-780

/thread

Yeah, it's kind of a resource hog, but you don't need to run the rest of the HRD software. But it kicks the pants off digipan and fldigi. Hard.

I agree. Unfortunately it doesn't run reliably on Linux.
Link Posted: 11/19/2011 5:50:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
DM-780

/thread

I agree. Unfortunately it doesn't run reliably on Linux.

Neither does PowerSDR, so it's a given that my shack computer runs Windows *shrug*
Link Posted: 11/19/2011 10:38:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Digipan works good for me on Ubuntu with WINE.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top