Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 9/3/2008 4:59:12 AM EDT
the old ugly hard shell style. I have seen a couple for pretty cheap lately---granted, they are big and ugly...but  for a BOV that isn't a daily driver---they can be locked---and an extra outside lock can always be added for extra security----supplies can be stored in there---and for the most part the vehicle can be ready to go at the turn of a key.  If you really needed to--the camper can be quickly taken out---and used on the ground in the woods or wherever if the truck was needed for other things.---Hell for the price I have seen some of these going for--I can't really think of a downside----anybody???
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 5:32:00 AM EDT
dunno, depends on what a  small/old camper (trailer style) would go for. It may not cost much more to upgrade in size.

Truck bed campers are cool for expedition type camping etc, but they are way tight/small IMHO and if I were looking, I'd try for a 16-18' pull behind instead.
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 6:26:29 AM EDT
The pluses of the truck-bed campers is that you don't lose much of the maneuverability of your truck like you would with a trailer.

The minuses are that they are small and you lose the ability to use your truck bed for cargo.

I'm sure there are more, but those two minuses would seal the deal for me, unless I really had no other options.  I think you're better off with a trailer.
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 7:02:03 AM EDT
I've seen some done up pretty nice. Sleeping platform was constructed crossways up next to the cab. All kinds of storage underneath. Guy kept enough camping gear underneath to live in the back of the truck for weeks. Had windows tinted dark so no one would see anything when peeking in.
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 9:16:57 AM EDT
IMO, they are a good option right now for a couple reasons.

1.  Because of the price of gas, people are dumping their pickup trucks and campers and they can be found at good prices.

2. The campers themselves make good emergency shelters since they are self contained and can be moved or set up on their own.

3. They are shorter/smaller than most travel trailers.

4. Used ones can be found cheap and the appliances etc can be stripped out and used in cabins, shelters etc. (I did that with a travel trailer for my hunting cabin.)

5. I saw a guy recently in a campground who had one mounted on a flat 18' landscaping trailer. Under the overhang in the front he carried an ATV and used the gate in the back as a porch when camping. It was pretty cool.
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 9:32:29 AM EDT
I am pretty much broke and looking to keep stocking up----I have seen these in bed campers for as little as $200---you can;'t touch that with a pull-behind. Pop-ups are really expensive too.  I like that it's something I don't need to register either, and I can make lots of mods to it to fit more gear, equipment or people
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 9:49:00 AM EDT
I had one of the fiberglass caps on my 4x longbed truck, it was alright for when me and the family went camping, our kids were still small so we wasn't too cramped for space.

built a rack up by the cab for an air mattress to sleep on, so we had plenty of storage under it for luggage etc, and plenty of bed space for the other camping gear.

put one of the rubber doughnut seals between the cap and cab so we could climb in back without getting out of the truck.

when I was a kid my parents had an overhead camper on their truck, it had plenty of space, but they got rid of it when they went from a 3/4T to a 1/2T truck.
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 10:03:19 AM EDT
Here, I did a paint of what the one I saw looked like.

Link Posted: 9/3/2008 10:33:19 AM EDT
I had a WTF moment about a week ago.  I saw one of the slide in campers like you're talking about being towed with an axle on a wood pole frame and makeshift pintle.  I kinda chuckled.  

It doesn't top the beverly hillbillies who towed a boat behind an ancient RV into the state camp ground and the trailer lights were screwed to the boat's transom permanently.  The fiberglass boat (no motor) was filled with a couch and about a 1/2 dozen large carpets of various designs.  They laid out carpet all over the camp site like desert bedouins.  They were all drunk and disorderly the night before til all hours of the night pretty much annoying the other families around them.  The next morning drunk dad was lying rolled up in a carpet with naked teenage daughter and being beaten by the wife in a wife beater t shirt and panties.  It was a classic WTF.

Oh, I digress, Lord I apologize for being judgemental....

My friend's dad has a slide in camper and where we go hunting you would not want a tow behind trailer in the wilderness roads.  The camper is a bit small and cramped but has the amenities.  We youngsters tent camp.  The slick thing is you can put the camper on support posts and remove the truck for business as usual.
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 10:59:48 AM EDT

Originally Posted By monkeyman:

img.photobucket.com/albums/v489/mac66/camper.jpg

I have seen this done more then once, cept where the ATV is on yours, #1 had built DOG box's (he was a dog sledder) and #2 had build a elaberate storage system which also incuded a pullout fold down kitchenet. Both of these were done VERRY well, not a hack job. When i asked why "build vs buy" both stated (simularly) the price was MORE then rite for the camper and allowed them to customize the rest how they wanted, and still come out ahead $$$ wise.

Zar
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 11:10:57 AM EDT
damn monkeyman---you got mad painting skills----good idea though--I have a couple trailers----could make something out of one of those
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 11:59:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/3/2008 12:02:44 PM EDT by EXPY37]

Good job!
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 1:34:10 PM EDT
maybe I am just getting old, but I did the Gypsy run in upstate NY this weekend---puttin around on the bikes for 3 days----and sleeping on the wet ground----I will take a camper, air mattress or cot any day-----I plan on being prepared in a shtf situation----and the more comfortable I can be the better
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 5:52:32 PM EDT
If need be, Mrs.SouthHoof's big porta-potty will be ready to roll if we need to bug out.  

A slide in camper isn't for everyone.  You have to consider that it is cozy inside.  If you don't like cramped quarters a truck camper may not be the best choice.

A couple other things to consider, you have to have enough truck to safely carry it.  The downside, often, is your fuel milage will drop 20-30 percent.
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 11:18:01 PM EDT
Over on pirate 4x4 board they often put these on a gooseneck of 5th wheel trailer and slide it up to the front so they can load stuff behind it on the trailer.

I think it was a backwoods home magazine but they built one on a half ton pickup I think.  Instead of sticking out they kept the sides even with the bed and I think it was just plywood and some of the 4x8 boards of insulation and what not.  They kept it really simple an it was built into the bed so I don't know that it could come out but it was lighter than most setups.

It also could have been one of the oddball van sites I wind up on where people are basically living out of their vehicle for a while.  Yahoo has a few versions of them.

I have an apartment I live in now that is in a building owned by a relative and having someone in the building keeps things under control in the area.  Since we can't sell it easily right now I am here for a bit.

To some extent I am thinking a year or two out and having some land but nothing built on it and one of these campers would be a step up from a tent and let me get rolling with a small storage shed turned hunting shack turned cabin turned who knows what.

I really recomend making sure the truck can handle the weight.

I am somewhat hoping a 2wd dually big block gasser from the 70s or 80s falls into my lap since I just kind of want a big block something or other but it would make some of the trailer deals I come across now and then more possable.

For the most part I am back to where price is a big deal and I can handle some labor on my end or call in a few favors here and there as needed.

Link Posted: 9/4/2008 3:33:42 AM EDT

img.photobucket.com/albums/v489/mac66/camper.jpg

seen a lot of those in AK just like that- very modular/versital.

I have a buddy who has one, its really great

Totally maneuverable- can take it a ton of places a trailer cant get to.
Really nice for what you get- they have a lot of room inside, especially with the pop up tops.
Easily fit 3 adults in one,
Just pop it on the truck and you take off- keep it stocked and you never have to worry about loading gear- just take off.
Very easy to mod to make it user friendly.

I would reccomend one of you can get a good deal
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 4:04:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/4/2008 4:06:07 AM EDT by Merlin]

Originally Posted By biere:
Over on pirate 4x4 board they often put these on a gooseneck of 5th wheel trailer and slide it up to the front so they can load stuff behind it on the trailer.

I think it was a backwoods home magazine but they built one on a half ton pickup I think.  Instead of sticking out they kept the sides even with the bed and I think it was just plywood and some of the 4x8 boards of insulation and what not.  They kept it really simple an it was built into the bed so I don't know that it could come out but it was lighter than most setups.

It also could have been one of the oddball van sites I wind up on where people are basically living out of their vehicle for a while.  Yahoo has a few versions of them.

I have an apartment I live in now that is in a building owned by a relative and having someone in the building keeps things under control in the area.  Since we can't sell it easily right now I am here for a bit.

To some extent I am thinking a year or two out and having some land but nothing built on it and one of these campers would be a step up from a tent and let me get rolling with a small storage shed turned hunting shack turned cabin turned who knows what.

I really recomend making sure the truck can handle the weight.

I am somewhat hoping a 2wd dually big block gasser from the 70s or 80s falls into my lap since I just kind of want a big block something or other but it would make some of the trailer deals I come across now and then more possable.

For the most part I am back to where price is a big deal and I can handle some labor on my end or call in a few favors here and there as needed.

Sorta like this:

Top Top