Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/25/2014 8:21:24 AM EDT
So since I Live in FL I have to worry about hurricanes.  So recently I thought about water bed mattress bladders as a easy to store dry until the day or 2 prior to a landing storm to store bulk water.  What's your thoughts on that? I'm thinking is a large water Bob really.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 8:47:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Everyone always seems to want to get all creative with their water storage.  Let me save you a few years of learning/experimenting.  Do what Coke, Pepsi, etc does when they want to store large volumes of food safe liquid, they use plastic 55 gallon closed top barrels.  They're cheap (I paid $10 each off of craig's list, they had been used to store vinegar).  Trust me on this, it is the way to go.

I also think it is a mistake to think you will have time to fill something up.  Have your water ready to go all times.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 9:41:26 AM EDT
[#2]
First... The barrels take up more room then I have. Second, I said this is for storm prep, not "oh the wolrd is ending,  obama got a 3rd term". Strickly know a week before a cat5 storm.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 9:42:10 AM EDT
[#3]
OP, I agree with Readyornot.... but if you MUST wait till 2-3 days before the rain starts..

try this!

Aquapod
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 2:11:44 PM EDT
[#4]
I have only one bathroom with tub/shower, so the Waterbob would cover the tub drain... I place a 33gal plastic trash can in the tub and fill with a hand shower wand prior to the storm....this still gives me room to stand in the tub and access the shower drain. . this water is nominally for bathing and flushing, but I have no issues with consuming it if the can is cleaned beforehand....I store about 13gal (I'm single) year round in a couple of the blue Coleman and Aquatainer jugs...I place another 33 gal plastic trash can under the eaves and let it fill with rainwater during the storm...
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 12:20:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Where would you put the waterbed bladder when the time comes to fill it up?  Just plop it on the floor, unsupported, in the living room?  They're not really designed to be kept full without the support of the surrounding frame; you could very well end up with more water damage from the bladder than you do from the hurricane.

Amazon has bathtub bladders for $20...
waterBOB Emergency Drinking Water Storage

I'm really with readyornot, though.  Emergency water should *always* be on hand, not something you rush to do before any given storm.  There are too many things other than weather incidents that can happen to interrupt your water supply, and assuming you'll always have advance notice isn't realistic.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 7:49:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
First... The barrels take up more room then I have. Second, I said this is for storm prep, not "oh the wolrd is ending,  obama got a 3rd term". Strickly know a week before a cat5 storm.
View Quote

A 55 gallon barrel takes up approx. 3 sq. feet of floor space, I bet if you get creative you could find a spot for one.  In regard to storm preps, I encourage you to not pigeon hole your preps.  Don't think "This is a storm prep, and this is an earthquake prep, and this is an EMP prep, etc"  Try to think in commonality of events.  There are lots of shitty things that could happen to you where you would need water, only a few of those give any warning at all.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 10:50:30 AM EDT
[#7]
+1 on the b.o.b.

and

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 11:08:05 AM EDT
[#8]
I think midmo is right, if you fill them without the supporting framework of an actual waterbed you may wind up with a problem.

How much water do you need to store and how small a place do you have to store it?
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 11:46:28 AM EDT
[#9]

Hey Black, Those water cans, are they Scepter brand or the knock off  LCI? I think that's what the knock off ones are called. If they are them, how do they hold up? I have read a few reviews about altering them to make them more water tight and such.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 2:39:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
So since I Live in FL I have to worry about hurricanes.  So recently I thought about water bed mattress bladders as a easy to store dry until the day or 2 prior to a landing storm to store bulk water.  What's your thoughts on that? I'm thinking is a large water Bob really.
View Quote

Back to the water bed mattresses: I'd be careful about the quality of the plastic used in making the water bed mattress. It might not be 'food grade' plastic, and if it isn't, it'll leech chemicals into your water.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 5:16:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Hey Black, Those water cans, are they Scepter brand or the knock off  LCI? I think that's what the knock off ones are called. If they are them, how do they hold up? I have read a few reviews about altering them to make them more water tight and such.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

buylci.com cans...five years and no problems. These things are durable!
I have about every type of water can sold in the big box stores, and I will tell you that these are by far the best...although they are pricey, about $25 each IIRC, you get what you pay for.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 6:04:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Where would you put the waterbed bladder when the time comes to fill it up?  Just plop it on the floor, unsupported, in the living room?  They're not really designed to be kept full without the support of the surrounding frame; you could very well end up with more water damage from the bladder than you do from the hurricane.

Amazon has bathtub bladders for $20...
waterBOB Emergency Drinking Water Storage

I'm really with readyornot, though.  Emergency water should *always* be on hand, not something you rush to do before any given storm.  There are too many things other than weather incidents that can happen to interrupt your water supply, and assuming you'll always have advance notice isn't realistic.
View Quote

This is my concern, as well.  

There is a product meant for hauling water and adding water to the bed of a pick up truck that does not need the support of a frame.  They are a much thicker, less flexible material than the water bed liner.  Just make sure the floor where you fill it can support that kind of weight.

link
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 6:16:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

A 55 gallon barrel takes up approx. 3 sq. feet of floor space, I bet if you get creative you could find a spot for one.  In regard to storm preps, I encourage you to not pigeon hole your preps.  Don't think "This is a storm prep, and this is an earthquake prep, and this is an EMP prep, etc"  Try to think in commonality of events.  There are lots of shitty things that could happen to you where you would need water, only a few of those give any warning at all.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Put a pretty cloth on it, stick it in the corner of your living room, and put a lamp on it.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 7:15:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Our gameplan for water is 10 cases of water bottles for short term needs and then 55gal drums we keep empty but can either fill up from tap if we have warning or fill up from the gutter if something sudden happens. Also don't forget the food grade pump to transfer the water.

Edited to add, we also have an airstream with its own water supply/pump which is pretty handy for emergencies and has the added bonus of being great for camping trips!
" />

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 10:29:03 PM EDT
[#15]
I sell waterbed bladders, and I wouldn't drink out of them.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 10:56:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I sell waterbed bladders, and I wouldn't drink out of them.
View Quote

Drinking from those are not safe and will taste like a plastic factory.   Might even make you puke.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 4:10:54 AM EDT
[#17]
OP,

You really should use food grade containers for water storage.

The military water cans from LCI are very good and can be stored in some out of site locations in your home.

Other inexpensive containers; Gatoraid bottles, soft drink bottles, or juice drink bottles.

One guy posted that he buys soda in 2 liter bottles in the 8 pack tray when the soda goes on sale.  That helps in stacking and storage.

Link Posted: 1/27/2014 6:14:21 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 12:44:26 PM EDT
[#19]
I have my own ideas about water storage (not collapsible like the OP wants), but what about using something like a Lifestraw on the water that comes from the waterbed bladder?
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 2:52:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I have about every type of water can sold in the big box stores, and I will tell you that these are by far the best...although they are pricey, about $25 each IIRC, you get what you pay for.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the info. I have been planning on buying a few of these.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 3:19:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Good info.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 4:59:10 AM EDT
[#22]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top