Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/2/2013 8:45:55 AM EDT
I want to buy a bee keeping kit for my Mom for Christmas. Should I buy one of the un-assembled kits with the hives and all. Or should I get everything but the hives and build them myself. I'm lost and have no idea what I'm looking for so any help is appreciated.

And yes I looked thru the tacked thread on this but found it confusing, thus me asking for help
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 9:43:55 AM EDT
[#1]
I started beekeeping a few years ago then life happened and I got out of it.  I plan to start back up this coming spring.  When I first started I purchased one of the beginner beekeeping kits, the frames/boxes were easy to assemble with just a little bit of work.  I would recommend starting out going that direction.  Since I kept all tools, I'm just going to be getting a complete hive kit and start fresh with it.

I would suggest you read up on 10 frame vs 8 frame, I started with 10 frame and plan on going to an 8 frame kit next.
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 5:02:12 PM EDT
[#2]

I am still a newbee but here is what I think from my experience. 1st hive I bought was self-assemble and paint.  I did this to save $$$.  We bought a second hive from MannLake already painted, assembled, ect.  It was well worth it in my opinion.

If I was to start again, I would buy a preassembled hive and cut to the chase.    

As for other supplies, like hive tool, smoker ect.  Either get them as a part of the assembled hive in a kit or a la cart. Whatever feels best to you.  I did  the a la cart and liked the stuff I bought more than some of the packaged kits I have seen.

I hope that helps a bit.  If it doesn't ask more specific ?s and I will answer what I can.

Link Posted: 12/2/2013 5:05:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I am still a newbee but here is what I think from my experience. 1st hive I bought was self-assemble and paint.  I did this to save $$$.  We bought a second hive from MannLake already painted, assembled, ect.  It was well worth it in my opinion.

If I was to start again, I would buy a preassembled hive and cut to the chase.    

As for other supplies, like hive tool, smoker ect.  Either get them as a part of the assembled hive in a kit or a la cart. Whatever feels best to you.  I did  the a la cart and liked the stuff I bought more than some of the packaged kits I have seen.

I hope that helps a bit.  If it doesn't ask more specific ?s and I will answer what I can.

View Quote

Both these replies have been very helpful. Was suggested to go to mannlake by another member and I think that the route in going
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 7:56:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Went with a Mann lake starter kit with a 8 piece hive. Hoping for the best and not dying like the kid in the movie My girl,
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 7:20:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Just saw this thread again, glad you were able to make an informed decision.  If there is a local beekeeping group in your area I would suggest you pay the small membership due just to be able to be around some of the people that know the tips/tricks as to what works best in your area.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 1:48:11 PM EDT
[#6]
When we started keeping bees, we purchased an established hive from a local beekeeper that was downsizing. We are now at five hives mostly through splits but did one package as well.  If you start in the spring and have a decent area amenable to bees, a package with a local queen can gain enough strength for the next winter without too effort but it can negatively affect honey production.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top