Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
7/8/2020 3:01:36 PM
Posted: 12/2/2013 8:45:55 AM EDT
I want to buy a bee keeping kit for my Mom for Christmas. Should I buy one of the un-assembled kits with the hives and all. Or should I get everything but the hives and build them myself. I'm lost and have no idea what I'm looking for so any help is appreciated.

And yes I looked thru the tacked thread on this but found it confusing, thus me asking for help
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 9:43:55 AM EDT
I started beekeeping a few years ago then life happened and I got out of it.  I plan to start back up this coming spring.  When I first started I purchased one of the beginner beekeeping kits, the frames/boxes were easy to assemble with just a little bit of work.  I would recommend starting out going that direction.  Since I kept all tools, I'm just going to be getting a complete hive kit and start fresh with it.

I would suggest you read up on 10 frame vs 8 frame, I started with 10 frame and plan on going to an 8 frame kit next.
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 5:02:12 PM EDT

I am still a newbee but here is what I think from my experience. 1st hive I bought was self-assemble and paint.  I did this to save $$$.  We bought a second hive from MannLake already painted, assembled, ect.  It was well worth it in my opinion.

If I was to start again, I would buy a preassembled hive and cut to the chase.    

As for other supplies, like hive tool, smoker ect.  Either get them as a part of the assembled hive in a kit or a la cart. Whatever feels best to you.  I did  the a la cart and liked the stuff I bought more than some of the packaged kits I have seen.

I hope that helps a bit.  If it doesn't ask more specific ?s and I will answer what I can.

Link Posted: 12/2/2013 5:05:58 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Defcon:
I am still a newbee but here is what I think from my experience. 1st hive I bought was self-assemble and paint.  I did this to save $$$.  We bought a second hive from MannLake already painted, assembled, ect.  It was well worth it in my opinion.

If I was to start again, I would buy a preassembled hive and cut to the chase.    

As for other supplies, like hive tool, smoker ect.  Either get them as a part of the assembled hive in a kit or a la cart. Whatever feels best to you.  I did  the a la cart and liked the stuff I bought more than some of the packaged kits I have seen.

I hope that helps a bit.  If it doesn't ask more specific ?s and I will answer what I can.

View Quote

Both these replies have been very helpful. Was suggested to go to mannlake by another member and I think that the route in going
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 7:56:16 PM EDT
Went with a Mann lake starter kit with a 8 piece hive. Hoping for the best and not dying like the kid in the movie My girl,
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 7:20:30 AM EDT
Just saw this thread again, glad you were able to make an informed decision.  If there is a local beekeeping group in your area I would suggest you pay the small membership due just to be able to be around some of the people that know the tips/tricks as to what works best in your area.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 1:48:11 PM EDT
When we started keeping bees, we purchased an established hive from a local beekeeper that was downsizing. We are now at five hives mostly through splits but did one package as well.  If you start in the spring and have a decent area amenable to bees, a package with a local queen can gain enough strength for the next winter without too effort but it can negatively affect honey production.
Top Top