Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/15/2013 7:43:54 PM EDT
What are some "need to have parts" in the truck. Im trying to stock up on extra parts. I have enough oil and oil filters. Have 55 gallons of extra diesel. This is my first truck, thinking of getting a extra belt. Any help would be great thanks.

Link Posted: 2/15/2013 8:18:52 PM EDT
[#1]
alternator, water pump and starter
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 2:48:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
alternator, water pump and starter

And tools to repair these items.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 4:23:08 AM EDT
[#3]
What kind of truck? Would be helpful. Not all trucks are created equal.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 4:39:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Belts, Hoses, fluids (anti freeze, oil, power steering fluid, tranny fluid, gear oil, brake fluid), RTV sealant, tools to do most repairs, Extra fuses, small electrical repair kit, Extra valve stems, air compressor, fix a flat (it sux but its better than nothing), tire plug kit, extra lug nuts. Big zip ties, Silicone for water proofing electrical,  good mechanics gloves, multi LED lights for working in the dark.

For bigger parts;

Starter , alternator, get a dual battery setup, extra axles or atleast 1/2 shafts, extra U joints, Heavy duty floor jack or Hi-Lift Jack, extra blanket or tarp to lay on ground, some go jo for cleaning up, a set of cover alls or old military flight suit will work. Maybe extra fuel pump as well.

And being this is in the survival forums;

Extra warm clothes, wet weather gear, fire starting and signalling equipment, extra food and water, shelter, a good first aid kit, CB or HAM radio, current maps of the area and older maps of the area (dont rely on GPS solely) *alot of roads and railroad lines are abandoned and over grown but could still lead you out of an area, this is why I say Old and New maps, road maps and topos. And dont forget tools like axe, chainsaw, shovels and weapon of choice.

This should be a good start;
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 5:50:13 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a 1998 chevy 1500 6.5t diesel. my average MPG has been 20. I put in a 55gallon aux tank in the box with a hand pump, and a tool box with tow rope, belt, jack, gallon of oil.

before i got the truck it had new batteries, injectors and alternator installed. I plan to do some suspension work this summer, and stock up on extra parts. Truck only has 119k on it and has been well taken care of, used only has a winter grocery getter by my grandpa.

Link Posted: 2/16/2013 6:12:30 AM EDT
[#6]
There is a computer module on top of your injection pump, either get the relocation kit or a spare computer.

I'm quite surprised that you didn't mention fuel filters.  Diesels are infamous for clogged or frozen fuel filters and is usually a simple procedure.  Always carry 2 or 3 in case you get a load of bad fuel and have the tools necessary to change it.  There is a procedure for doing it, read your owners manual or go the the Chevy diesel forum and print the instructions.

This must be your first diesel as well as your first truck.  Carry something like Diesel 911 for gelled fuel and Power Service anti gel for cold weather.  I also carry some 2 stroke oil in case I need to fuel up with kerosene or jet fuel due to some sort of emergency.  

I'll think of some more later.

Ops
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 6:13:43 AM EDT
[#7]
fuel filters ........spare belts.....
I also carry a spare IDLER PULLEY and a spare SERPENTINE BELT........
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 6:40:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Nobody's mentioned U-joints yet?

Also worth pointing out - anything that you take off and would otherwise throw away, but is still serviceable - keep it.

For instance, in my aforementioned U-joint comment - you don't ever go in and replace just one.  You replace them all (so in one of my driveshafts, 3, plus a centering ball assembly).  Only one is usually the problem.  Retain the other parts - even though they don't have much life left to them, they still do have some life left to them.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 8:46:58 AM EDT
[#9]
This is taken from an off-roading forum I am on so a fair amount of it may be geared towards recovery, but there are a few good ideas here. Basic recovery items are also a good idea to have.

Basic recovery and other equipment (MUST HAVE)
To take with on every trip (even day and easy trip) and even for beginners
- Spare key somewhere in or on the truck (more important for more remote trips)
- Fire extinguisher and first aid kit (should always be in the truck)
- Good quality tow strap at least 2"x30'
- At least 2 x D Ring shackles (3/4" Heavy duty, also check recovery points on truck)
- Full size spare, jack, wheelnut wrench, wheel lock "key" and all other tools to swap the spare on your truck, check the tools and spare before you leave.
- Tire pressure gauge with deflator and/or tire deflator(s)
- Small compressor (capable of airing up truck tires) or other way of airing up like CO2
- Communication with other trucks, FRS, CB or HAM pending on group
- Basic hand tools like wrenches, screwdrivers, pliers,
- Duct tape
- Gal or so of water (drinkable in a pinch)
- Trash bags
- Gloves and some rags
- Zip ties in assorted lengths and widths, as well as a few few extra big ones
- Shovel (compact one would be better than nothing in a pinch)
- Flashlight(s) (with spare batteries, ideally add a headlamp as well)

Intermediate recovery and other equipment
When doing moderate difficulty trails and more remote
- Basic kit plus items below
- Additional tow straps preferably 3"x30' and high capacity (see link above)
- Snatch strap of 30' (for mud and bogged down recoveries)
- 1-2 more D rings shacles (3/4")
- For trucks without HD rear bumper, a hitch reciever with recovery shackle mount (like Warn)
- Tire repair kit
- Spare tire valve cores, tool to remove/replace, spare valve caps
- Spare fuses (including the bigger fuses see hardcore below)
- Electrical tape and some isolated electrical wire
- Wire, pliers and sidecutters to tie up components in a pinch
- Hi-lift (especially useful with sliders, also make sure it is properly secured for driving)
- Hi-lift base plate, also a Liftmate (tire), bumper adpater (if ARB) and slider adapter can be handy
- More extensive list of hand tools
- More water
- Bungee cords
- Assortment of bolts and nuts (metric OEM stuff and non metric aftermarket stuff) (Check shock mounts and common other areas like skids, etc)
- Small Digital Volt/Ohm/Amp multimeter

Winch Accesories
- control unit (leave it in the truck or keep in you basic recovery bag, no help if you can use the winch, if you have a remote control, leave it in the truck)
- Tree saver strap
- Snatch block
- Winch line extension cord (optional for long distances)

Hardcore Recovery
- Intermediate kit plus listed below
- Field repair guide (see FSM for critical components copies and TQ settings)
- 2+ HD Jack stands (don't want a to work on a tippy trucl on hi-lifts again)
- Chain with hooks on the ends to tie up axles, etc.
- Ratchet straps for add loose pieces (cargo or truck)
- Loctite blue and red compound
- Loctite locweld or similar liquid metal bond (fast curing needed)
- Gasket maker
- Complete spare front CV axle assembly
- 35MM socket and HD TQ wrench
- Breaker bar, big srewdriver, circlip removal pliers and big hammer
- Spare CV axle circlip (diff side) and diff oil seal
- Spare tie-rod and tie rod end
- Tie-rod and ball joint puller
- Spare Rear driveshaft (tranny to diff)
- Only in very extreme cases spare rear 3rd and sideshafts (leadfoot rockhopping)
- Spare relays for Starter, EFI, ABS SOL, Fuel pump, Headlamps, Ignition, Power relay (will get part #s, see attached relayloc pdf)
- Spare HD fuses 140A altenator and assortment of HD 30,40 and 50A fuses. (mentioned again)
- Spare rear shocks (only if you don't have HD remote res or monotube shocks) and fitting hardware (includign OEM bolts) (Only for heavy load long distance, remote trips)
- Spare brake lines (front and rear)
- Brake fluid 2-4 small botttles
- Diff fluid 3 Qts or more
- Tranny fluid 3-4 Qts
- Engine Oil 5-6 Qts
- Wheel bearing type grease
- Trail cleanup kit for oil spills, etc
- Oil drain catcher
- Small gas soldering iron with solder (or 12V or 110V if you have an inverter)
- Hand cleaner, lots of spare rags, latex or rubber gloves (if you dont like the smell of grease and oil)
- Extensive set of hand tools, including wrenches and socket sets, screwdrivers, adjustabel wrenches and vice grips, pliers, side cutter, longnose pliers, knifes.
- Impact wrench can be handy with regulated CO2
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 9:09:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
What are some "need to have parts" in the truck. Im trying to stock up on extra parts. I have enough oil and oil filters. Have 55 gallons of extra diesel. This is my first truck, thinking of getting a extra belt. Any help would be great thanks.

Look at the truck forum specifically for your year, make, and model. Most will have threads on repairs. Look at the ones that are most common. Then buy the parts that cover those repairs. Also having extra suspension parts like sway bar end links are crucial. You may be doing a lot more sort roading if SHTF.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 11:06:28 AM EDT
[#11]
My GD Comment: Its a Chevy, you need a Ford

SF Comments: Biggest thing is fuel filters, tire repair supplies, Diesel 911, ether (or diesel safe starting fluid), serpentine belts & Idlers, bulbs, fuses, big a$$ tow strap, STARTER SOLENOID, general descent tool kit. This is all stuff to keep in vehicle. As mentioned, hit the truck forums with your model/year. That will give you more info specific to your rig. Generally the biggest problems with diesels are fuel problems, especially with bio-diesel. Make sure you treat your fuel to keep algae from growing in the tank.

I don't consider going out and buying spare alternators/starters just to have a needed practice. You are better off changing them now and keeping the GRTO's. They are 100K mile parts now-a-days, and if you know what you are looking/listening for, usually give warning they are failing. Some alternators have external or easily replaceable voltage regulators. This is what usually fails on alternators (at least in Fords, for me). These are about $15 and easy to swap most of the time.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 11:46:40 AM EDT
[#12]
I haven't seen windshield wipers yet!  Definitely keep a spare pair of those in your vehicle.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 1:21:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Nobody's mentioned U-joints yet?

In my 2nd paragraph
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top