Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 2/7/2008 8:32:40 PM EST
I'm taking a fly fishing course, just to add some hours to my schedule.

supposed to be a woolly bugger.
it's an ugly bastard, but i think it just might work. I guess we'll find out soon enough
Link Posted: 2/7/2008 10:21:56 PM EST
It'll work for sure

Did you rap lead wire under the chenille for weight?

Next time try to get a long piece of hackle so that it can be wrapped down the shank of the hook

The easiest way i've found to attach and keep everything looking good is to tie in a piece of thread or think copper/whatever wire where you tied your marabou in

Once you tie your hackle at the head of the hook and begin wrapping back, you take your wire and wrap forward over the hackle and secure the wire at the head of the hook

It keep the hackle more secured so the first fish you hook doesn't rip it to shreds
Link Posted: 2/7/2008 11:23:01 PM EST
nope, nothing to add weight
our instructor recommended a bead, but he didn't have any for us to use.
I like your wire idea, maybe I'll try it next time.
I think this one will work for now, I kinda went overkill with the thread in some spots
Link Posted: 2/7/2008 11:29:06 PM EST
Wooly Buggers belong to the family of flies I like to call "Big Uglies"

Weighing the fily down helps a lot so it doesn't float, sit on the surface if you're using floating line

I don't know how advanced of a fly fisherman you are, but you can use split shot to help sink the fly, but that makes casting a chore

Next time you buy tying materials get a spool of lead wire (probably lead free is all they'll sell) and you just wrap the shank of the hook with 1 layer before you add your marabou/chenile, will help sink the fly

Link Posted: 2/7/2008 11:34:34 PM EST
I'm about as green as they come, but I'm learning a lot in this class.
Our instructor really knows his stuff, he's a guide, and has been teaching 4 or 5 fishing classes in his spare time for the past 15 years or so.

thanks for the tips!
Link Posted: 2/7/2008 11:38:57 PM EST
You're gonna want a weighted fly then, it'll be awkward to cast, but easier than casting with 4-10 split shot on your leader

try the lead wrapped shank, and a bead-head, good way to get the fly to sink without split shot
Link Posted: 2/7/2008 11:44:20 PM EST
[Last Edit: 2/7/2008 11:49:18 PM EST by Rocklock]
Looks fine . Fly fishing is not hard , but for sure learn to cast B4 hitting the stream .

A lesson will shave about 2 years off the learning cure .

Around here a Stimulator w/ trailng Beadhead nymph is a good setup .

Rocklock

ETA : Cast accuracy is paper plate at 20 ft. max. and if 8-9 ft. is rod , then it isn't very hard . Your rivers are bigger than ours so scale up .
Link Posted: 6/17/2008 4:59:44 PM EST
I will work well. But here is a tip. Do more wraps with the chenille.
Link Posted: 6/17/2008 4:59:52 PM EST
I will work well. But here is a tip. Do more wraps with the chenille.
Link Posted: 6/27/2008 4:57:13 PM EST
I am from a club in Tx
Another tyer (yes I tye too) gave away a reject to a teenager because it did not look right.
Kid went on to set a state record for age with it
We all ask for his rejects now
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 2:44:45 PM EST
That fly will catch fish! But, the fly style you have displayed is called a Flymph around here.

For a Wooley Booger, you got the marabou tail length about right. You may want to wrap some lead along the shank to weight the fly and/or add a beadhead. You should tie in the chenille further back toward the bend of the hook and leave a 3-4 inch tag end of the thread to counter-wrap the hackle. Tie the hackle in, then wrap the Chenille forward. Then palmer the hackle from the rear of the fly the entire length of the shank from the hook bend to behind the hook eye clockwise. Take the tag end of the thread and wrap it counter clockwise around the shank up to behind the hook eye. Whip finish and its done!

Enjoy!
Dave
Top Top