Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 6/17/2009 12:56:18 PM EST
Would it be feasible to store batteries before the acid is added. Anyone here store dry batteries and acid for future use? Seems like this would solve the problem of batteries going dead. You would also be more prepared for TEOTWAWKI. Can you buy 6 volt golf cart batteries dry? I have bought small motorcycle batteries before and you have to add the acid after you buy them.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:04:15 PM EST
I once bought a motorcycle battery "dry" on clearance. Kept it around for a few years before I filled and charged it. Worked great to power a fluorescent light in a closet.

I don't know that you can buy larger batteries like that, but give it a try. They do have some sort of "tape" over the holes to keep the oxygen out so the lead plates don't oxidize.

John
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:17:01 PM EST
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:43:38 PM EST
Link Posted: 7/28/2009 1:19:20 AM EST
When I was in the CG we had freakin' huge batteries shipped to us dry with the electrlyte in powdered form in the battery, if a remember correctly. When it came time to use it we just added the appropriate amount of distilled and installed them.
YMMV
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 6:06:52 PM EST
I don't know about before the acid/water is added but you should be able to buy one, drain it and store the contents separate. I've heard of truck shops doing that with some of the larger commercial batterys. A few months ago I had a deep cycle marine battery turn over in an aluminum boat, (not good) and leak its entire contents into the bottom of the boat (even worse). It was a fairly new battery and i decided to try something before I paid a local battery shop to service it. I usually keep a battery or two around to use as a core exchange for new purchases. I drained the contents of two of those batterys and used it to refill my marine battery. I placed the marine battery on the slow charger over night and the next morning tested it and found it good to go. That was five months ago. If I was to store one "dry" I think I'd use a gallon sized glass apple cider jug or something along those lines to keep the acid in and I'd probably rinse the battery with distilled water a time or two to remove as much residue as possible before putting it into storage.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 6:26:34 PM EST
here is a follow up question - suppose the Shit has hit the fan and you currently have enough batteries - but there are a hundred or more batteries available to you that have been filled with acid - OK I am thinking pour out the acid store it in glass jugs - wash out the batteries - whats going to keep the lead from oxidizing over and ruining the battery - how about filling it with transmission fluid or something to stop the already icoming nevitable corrosion - i have no idea what to put in the battery to stop electrical activity and corrosion - does any one have an answer?
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 6:37:30 PM EST
Originally Posted By scrachline1:
here is a follow up question - suppose the Shit has hit the fan and you currently have enough batteries - but there are a hundred or more batteries available to you that have been filled with acid - OK I am thinking pour out the acid...

Unfortunately that won't work.
Once they're wet you can't go back.

Top Top