Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/13/2008 9:45:56 PM EDT

here is my #1 sidekick. if i go hunting or fishing there is a good possibility he is nearby, either with me or my father or my brother. he's been a tag along since before he could walk on his own. he just turned 7 this Oct.

here he is with a doe i killed this year that was his 1st blood trail on his own. he did  around a 40 yard BP blood trail in thick deep timber with me 10 yards behind him.

from now on, he is keeper of the trailing tape.

he glasses the plain..for the kill

he really likes rabbit hunting. i am going to surprise him at the end of the school year with a stoeger youth .410 O/U for good grades. the rabbit population in eatern OK with never be the same.

it was 17 degrees this morning and he took it like a man. only 3 ducks that day for the tally. but worth every one.

did you know,kids are great shell holders. i hold my hand out and say "SHELL ME" and magically an estate 3inch magnum 3# is placed into my hand with brass in the lower palm ready for the loading port.

i keep my hunts with him a helluva lot more comfortable than my dad did with me.
i keep the hunts short and fun. lots of snacks and caprisuns and a thermos full of hot chocolate. when he is out with me, it is a whole new outlook on the outdoors. we have to stop and investigate even the most benign anomaly. bugs and poop of any kind get top priority.

anything decomposing is a must see. much like the world largest ball of twine. no matter how foul smelling. he must poke and prod it with a stick of his choosing. then look at me as only a 7 y/o boy can do and go  "EEEWWWWWW" with a yuckface.

if any of you all have kids, please do yourself a favor and take a few days just for them for a trip out. you will be blessed tenfold for it. i know i have been.

Link Posted: 1/14/2008 11:31:00 AM EDT
[#1]
and he will grow up to be a fine man ..Like his father
Link Posted: 1/15/2008 3:59:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Awesome pics...
Link Posted: 1/15/2008 9:16:32 PM EDT
[#3]
"Take your kids hunting and you wont have to hunt for your kids."

Cute kid Muddy. Way to go taking him along.
Link Posted: 1/15/2008 10:43:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/16/2008 4:19:40 AM EDT
[#5]
.410?  Heck, get him a deer rifle.  He is ready for it.

Link Posted: 1/16/2008 9:05:39 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
.410?  Heck, get him a deer rifle.  He is ready for it.

he has a deer rifle
his NEF youth lightweight .223 has been sent back to the factory for issues with the ejectors. he has been shooting that for about a year. its tricked out with a red dot. he is normally lethal with it and his cricket .22 also set up with a red dot.

he missed his first this year. a doe standing broadside..at 40 yards. i knew he was gonna miss before he ever pulled the trigger, he was shaking so bad i thought the blind was gonna crumble away.

i really like those NEF youth rifles. for the money they cant be beat for a little kid.
i am having a couple of barrels fitted to it while its at the factory.

i am having a custom recurve made for him right now. he could very well be bow hunting next year. he shoots a helluva arrow, right now. he likes making arrows.
Link Posted: 1/16/2008 9:09:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/16/2008 11:54:26 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
i really like those NEF youth rifles. for the money they cant be beat for a little kid.
i am having a couple of barrels fitted to it while its at the factory.

I bought one of those for my niece, who's only nine.  We like it except for one HUGE issue--it is a "Youth rifle" with a bull barrel.  The danged thing is so front end heavy it's just silly.  Can you buy a standard profile barrel for them?  

yes.
his are the lightweight contour barrels.
Link Posted: 1/16/2008 1:09:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/16/2008 3:30:12 PM EDT
[#10]
here ya gowww.hr1871.com/Support/accessoryProgram.aspx

Send Mail to:
H&R 1871, LLC
60 Industrial Rowe
Gardner, MA 01440
Tel. 978-630-8220
Link Posted: 1/16/2008 3:32:26 PM EDT
[#11]
i'm having a .44 mag and a .357 put on it.
Link Posted: 1/16/2008 3:53:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/16/2008 6:34:19 PM EDT
[#13]
they told me to allow for 6 weeks.

ask them specifically about which rounds are having the ejector problems.

we found out the hard way that the .223 was updated to a extractor model due to this.
we couldnt get the fired case out of the barrel chamber.

i imagine all the non rimmed rounds are having issues.
Link Posted: 1/16/2008 6:37:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/18/2008 12:06:06 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
i'm having a .44 mag and a .357 put on it.

The .357 I got shoots really well and the 45-70 is even better.

Here is my futer sidekick meeting my current sidekicks.

Link Posted: 1/18/2008 1:47:08 AM EDT
[#16]
is it bad that my  lil girl( almost 2) will see a deer on TV and say
"deer...daddy....."

she was with my sis inlaw, and they brought lunch ouot tomy bro inlaw. they run a dog camp. just as they pulled up...here come the dogs tailin a deer.
she got to see the BIL tag a buck.

of course on the phone..

" shoot,,,deer...(baby blabber) deer.....un-ca mauk deer....."

took her 30 minutes to calm down and was laughing the whole time..

cant wiat to get her out, just for the enjoyment of it. she make her mind if its what she likes.
Weve also had her camping since 6 months old and she loves being outside...she cant stand being indoors....has to begs to go stand in the rain and try to catch it... and has to kiss every fish i catch off the folks dock!

who'da tought theyd be this fun and awesome at times!
Link Posted: 1/18/2008 9:33:12 AM EDT
[#17]

I can't wait until my son is old enough to go hunting with me.  He's only 22 months now.  I also have another boy on the way, so there'll be 3 of us when they're old enough!

Link Posted: 1/20/2008 1:15:32 PM EDT
[#18]
My son is 9 and is the best hunting buddy I could ask for.  He's a little noisy but we're working on that and he's handy for helping pack supplies and carry small game.  
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 1:49:25 PM EDT
[#19]
my son is 22 months also he calls deer bow '' he thinks they are a large dog '' bow is are great dane. i got a 9 point this year and he was petting it and calling it bow lol
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 1:53:26 PM EDT
[#20]
my son is 22 months also he calls deer bow '' he thinks they are a large dog '' bow is are great dane. i got a 9 point this year and he was petting it and calling it bow lol i'm ready for him to be my little hunting buddy
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 1:56:34 PM EDT
[#21]
My former buddy.  Best dog I ever had.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top