Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/16/2009 1:50:17 PM EDT
I am looking for a decent self defense book, but I am more interested in the mental aspect of self defense, situational awareness, mindset things like that.  Its hard to sort thru all the books figured I would ask here if anyone has any suggestions.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:04:03 PM EDT
[#1]
"On Combat" and "On Killing" by Col. Grossman. On Killing relates more to the Armed Forces while On Combat relates more to Law Enforcement. Grossman argues that at their core there is no real difference and that the proprietors of both professions are essentially in the business of using all levels of force on a daily basis. I am a LEO in a major metro gang unit and have read "On Combat", it was an excellent read and fairly applicable to LEO and military men. Made the wife read it so she could stop bugging me about being 'fatalistic'. Take a look on Amazon and see what you think. Sounds like they are what you're looking for.

Also look into "The Survivors Club". Collection of survivors' storis of all types of situations and the common threads that helped them survive their ordeals.

Regards,

LABlackRifle

ETA: Grossman refers to and recommends "The Gift of Fear", can't remember the author at the moment. Talks about how our society has forgotten that fear is a useful tool and when recognized/dealt with properly is crucial to a person's ability to survive a potentially deadly encounter.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:21:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
ETA: Grossman refers to and recommends "The Gift of Fear", can't remember the author at the moment. Talks about how our society has forgotten that fear is a useful tool and when recognized/dealt with properly is crucial to a person's ability to survive a potentially deadly encounter.

Gavin de Becker

Amazon link
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:00:40 PM EDT
[#3]
thank you glen_r and LABlackRifle!!!! I found all of those books thru my state library system!
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:13:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Read the books by Massad Ayoob.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top