Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/15/2008 10:05:12 AM EDT
so, you sight in your deer rifle. it wreaks of gunpowder. clean it or leave it?

cleaning it, could give off an oil and grease smell.

just wondering how anal you all are.

i think i might clean my barrel and flash hider with a light amount of break cleaner which will dissolve away, and give it just enough remington oil to prevent rust.
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 10:53:51 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't think its an issue, I'd leave it.
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 11:06:31 AM EDT
[#2]
I never hunt with a clean bore.  I clean them prior to the season, then sight in/verify zero, then hunt.  I don't like the surprises of a CCB shot, and with modern primers and propellants there is very little to worry about rust.  If I am caught in a down pour and need to, I'll just use a lightly oiled boresnake to make a few passes with.

I'm not worried about the deer smelling gun oil.  I am concerned with making the first shot count.
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 2:46:26 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I never hunt with a clean bore.  I clean them prior to the season, then sight in/verify zero, then hunt.  I don't like the surprises of a CCB shot, and with modern primers and propellants there is very little to worry about rust.  If I am caught in a down pour and need to, I'll just use a lightly oiled boresnake to make a few passes with.

I'm not worried about the deer smelling gun oil.  I am concerned with making the first shot count.

+1

Presuming a barrel is "broken in," then once I start hunting, I do not clean the bore.  I wipe the gun down with CLP on the outside when it appears that it might need it.

While I hate cleaning guns, I do it very meticulously, when they really need it.  

Knowing when  is pretty much the trick.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 7:31:47 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
so, you sight in your deer rifle. it wreaks of gunpowder. clean it or leave it?

cleaning it, could give off an oil and grease smell.

just wondering how anal you all are.

i think i might clean my barrel and flash hider with a light amount of break cleaner which will dissolve away, and give it just enough remington oil to prevent rust.

The smell of gunpowder or gun oil isn't going to hold a candle to the reeking stench of human, even if you're dressed up in your $300 scentlock suit chewing your scent-free gum.  All that shit is a gimmick, designed to part you and your dollars.  If you're downwind, the deer will smell you; the smart ones will skedaddle, the dumb ones will end up in the freezer.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 7:40:51 PM EDT
[#5]
And then there's that wonderful smell of good old fashioned Hoppe's No.9.

Little wonder the deer are scarce in the fall.

I make it a habit of not cleaning my gun just before hunting season either. Run a Boresnake thru it and call it good enough. And then clean the daylights out of it, if I've run into foul weather, after the season.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top