Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/13/2009 1:52:44 PM EDT
I've been having a problem with my jalapenos-they're just not hot, at all.

So I started leaving them on the plant longer.

1 turned red.  I thought this was odd, as I've never seen a red jalapeno before.

My son said he was watching Emeril a few days before and he said there's no diference between green and red jalapenos.

Well, there is with mine.  The red 1 was hot!!!  

I've only had 1 other turn red since then.  How long should I wait?  Are there different plants that turn and others that stay green?

I don't want to pick them still green and have no heat again.  

Thanks Brian
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 2:12:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Japs will turn red if you leave them on there long enough, although at that point they may begin getting soft. The ideal time to pick is when they have reached the point where the skin is hard and it looks like it is cracking. Your soil may also have something to do with the heat. Some soils don't have whatever is needed to make them hotter. For some reason my soil grows some of the hottest peppers around here, even the legal transplants from south of the boarder on some of my job sites say they are hotter than they grow down there.
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 3:38:32 PM EDT
[#2]
less water+more sun= hotter peppers
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 3:53:32 PM EDT
[#3]
My soil should be good.  All my other peppers are good.

I'll try less water.
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 6:07:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Pretty much.  If you stress them, they get hotter, usually, or the flavors get stronger.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 1:45:30 PM EDT
[#5]
I prefer the red ones.  They seem to be bolder.  Not just hotter.  I leave them on the vine till they are red.  Usually the end of the season.  I have not had problems with them going soft once red.  This time of year you should be cutting the water anyways.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 2:47:44 PM EDT
[#6]
I read somewhere that they get hotter as a defense response to pests attacking them.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:52:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Red jalapenos are overripe in my book.  I usually plant the Burpee Biker Billy hybrid, big size and hot enough.  Though that's my least hot pepper, I grow different strains of Thais and Habs.  The BBB has been a staple in my garden for years and I've tried plenty different jalapenos.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 5:28:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Once they turn red, then you pick them,and either dry them in the sun on the deck, or make long strings of them with a needle and thread and string them up to dry. Then when they are good and dry, grind them up,and then you have it-Chilie powder. That's what we have done for many years-the ground red peppers are the basis for a lot of Korean cooking. Grind any peppers outside,as you will find that if you do it in the house,you will be coughing with a burning throat very quickly.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 11:13:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

+1  cutting off the water and sunlight makes angry! MMMMMmmmmm

Pickem and put them in the smoker Chipolte!
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 3:48:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

This.

And the red ones taste MUCH better in homemade salsa!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top