Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 10/8/2007 6:19:30 PM EDT
It has been established that some of us here on SF have reloading supplies for SHTF/TEOTWAWKI . The question is: I live in the south obviously high humidity most of the time. How do you store powder and primers to keep the moisture out?
I have some powder in 8lb kegs so ammo cans isn't an option and the better half freaks out when I store it in the house.
Anyone have any ideas?
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 6:50:05 PM EDT

Originally Posted By rusteerooster:
It has been established that some of us here on SF have reloading supplies for SHTF/TEOTWAWKI . The question is: I live in the south obviously high humidity most of the time. How do you store powder and primers to keep the moisture out?
I have some powder in 8lb kegs so ammo cans isn't an option and the better half freaks out when I store it in the house.
Anyone have any ideas?

Did you ever get those chickens?
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 6:53:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/8/2007 6:54:03 PM EDT by hk940]
yea. you store that stuff in the house in a cool dry place just like it says on the package.

it's not a big deal. it does not smell, won't explode and is worth more than most of her junk that would do fine in the attic. i hope your guns are in a gun safe inside the house.

Link Posted: 10/8/2007 7:05:00 PM EDT

Did you ever get those chickens?

I caught 2 of those slick B***ards. Finally gave up on the rest. We now have 12 or so free range chickens. I did get some pellets for the rifle so looks like it is chicken stew.

I keep my guns in a hidey hole in the house but no safe as of yet. I would rather figure out a way to store the powder and stuff in the shop than to listen to much complaining. You know what they say: "If momma ain't happy no one is happy".
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 7:16:54 PM EDT
More to the point:

www.sorbentsystems.com
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 7:28:45 PM EDT
Thanks for the link Bro, I will check it out more thoroughly tomorrow.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 7:40:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/8/2007 7:41:06 PM EDT by Reload_em]
My basement has a perfect temperature but can be a bit damp at times so I put all that stuff in 5 gallon buckets with Gamma seal lids. They really work great with loose stuff like rice, flour and sugar so I tried it with my powder and it's all good.

I just put an eight pounder in the bottom and fill around it with one pound cans. An added bonus is that nobody can see what is inside the buckets. A small number written on each bucket and in a notebook with a list of contents is all you need to keep track of what is in each bucket.

I haven't put any primers in one but I bet you could get quite a few in a standard 5 gallon size bucket.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 7:40:14 PM EDT
They make good stuff. Seal it/them up with a dessicant and an O2 pack and they should be GTG for years.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 7:46:14 PM EDT
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 8:21:34 PM EDT
Not a good idea on storing powder in an ammo can. They should be in a less than full strength container so that it would burst instead of explode. There is a reason why powder is in a plastic container. If your powder was in a ammo can, it would probably explode. Remember powder needs no oxygen to burn.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 3:54:06 AM EDT
Use a plastic (Coleman) cooler without a locking lid.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 7:03:14 AM EDT

Originally Posted By rdellafave58:
Use a plastic (Coleman) cooler without a locking lid.

+1

Unobtrusive and it fits the bill.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 8:02:07 AM EDT
Top Top