Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 1/1/2012 6:27:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/1/2012 6:27:58 AM EDT by Macumazahn]
I have a whole lot of bright flashlights, but not very many that are

1. low-output
2. long battery life

Surely the high-lumen tac lights have their place, but in an extended power outage or SHTF where you are trying to conserve batteries, a flashlight like this would be very handy also.

The one I do use that falls into this category is an older Energizer headlamp. It was the original Energizer LED headlamp, has 2 white LEDs and 1 red. It lasts a very long time on 3 AAA batteries. In fact, I think I have only changed it once in the last 8 or so years, but of course I don't use it constantly. I've used it to take out splinters and change oil, etc.

Anyone have such a flashlight they can add to our list of suggestions?
All are welcome, even though with the adjustable brightness settings - although that takes away from the simplicity / reliability factor. KISS is a great principle.

ETA:
Here is a link to the Energizer headlamp I have. I also have the bigger brighter ones from Energizer, but they add bulk and burn batteries faster.
Energizer Headlamp
I believe it is 20 lumens, and supposed to last 30 hours. It only has one brightness setting on white, and 1 on red. Is about $12 at Walmart or elsewhere.

Link Posted: 1/1/2012 7:10:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/1/2012 7:12:05 AM EDT by JHill]
Fenix PD series lights

250lumens on the high end and 65 120hrs of run time on the low end..

http://www.fenixgear.com/flashlight/Fenix_PD30_R5.html#catalog/img/PD30_R5.jpg

Link Posted: 1/1/2012 7:34:04 AM EDT
If you want something small and portable try one of these

http://www.9voltlight.com/
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 8:05:43 AM EDT
My personal favorite is an older HDS Basic 42/60 "XR" model.. The epitome of low-light circuit efficiency... Someone did a runtime test... over 1000 hours on a single CR123... And with an emitter swap for a more efficient, modern emitter, it was still a very useable amount of light.

But in Snowpocalypse two years ago, we used my couple of 3AAA headlamps the most. Over the course of the week, went through a single set of batteries for each.
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 8:11:37 AM EDT
here ya go

0.2 lumens for 30 days on 2 AA batts. I recomended it to a friend that works underground incase he pulls a Chile.
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 8:39:37 AM EDT
Originally Posted By BigTom111:

I agree. It is hard to beat a paklite for long term use. They are getting spendy though.
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 9:23:25 AM EDT
Quark all the way. No question.
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 11:43:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/1/2012 11:46:01 AM EDT by Benjamin-Linus]
Surefire 6PX Pro outputs 15 lumens on the low end for 45 hours of runtime. On the high end it outputs 200 lumens for two hours.

I have one in my BOB with a single box of 12 CR123A batteries and calculate that to be about 315 hours of light.
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 1:34:27 PM EDT

http://www.9voltlight.com

Interesting. I wonder how they would hold up in the trunk of a car during the summer? I have Quarks, Fenix, Surefire and a lot of other lights, but I may add this one to see how it does.

Link Posted: 1/1/2012 3:14:28 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Benjamin-Linus:
Surefire 6PX Pro outputs 15 lumens on the low end for 45 hours of runtime. On the high end it outputs 200 lumens for two hours.

I have one in my BOB with a single box of 12 CR123A batteries and calculate that to be about 315 hours of light.

if you try and read a map with dark adjusted eyes with 15 lumens you will think a flashbulb went off in your face. Looking away from the map will show you how much night vision you have lost.

.2 lumens is more than enough for small close up work with adjusted eyes. A great light will have other choices as well for bigger jobs. I suggest a multimode like the 123 Quark to supliment that light.
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 5:17:08 PM EDT
Originally Posted By benzo:

I agree. It is hard to beat a paklite for long term use. They are getting spendy though.

That is slick. I've never seen them. How do 9V's hold up just sitting compaired to, say a AA mag light?

Link Posted: 1/1/2012 7:51:09 PM EDT
Originally Posted By batmanacw:

if you try and read a map with dark adjusted eyes with 15 lumens you will think a flashbulb went off in your face. Looking away from the map will show you how much night vision you have lost.

.2 lumens is more than enough for small close up work with adjusted eyes. A great light will have other choices as well for bigger jobs. I suggest a multimode like the 123 Quark to supliment that light.

I'll take that advise. Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 7:55:47 PM EDT
Originally Posted By 9mmRandy:

That is slick. I've never seen them. How do 9V's hold up just sitting compaired to, say a AA mag light?

I have found for other things. They last darn long.
Found my old am only transistor radio a while back.
9v still played. How long was it in there?
Well when was the last time you heard someone say,
Let me get my AM TRANSISTOR RADIO!!!
That long, really!!!
Does anyone have a more scientific measurement? Please!!!

PITA45
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 9:49:45 PM EDT
Originally Posted By pita45:
Originally Posted By 9mmRandy:

I have found for other things. They last darn long.
Found my old am only transistor radio a while back.
9v still played. How long was it in there?
Well when was the last time you heard someone say,
Let me get my AM TRANSISTOR RADIO!!!
That long, really!!!
Does anyone have a more scientific measurement? Please!!!

PITA45

The shelf life of 9 volt lithium, alkaline or carbon-zinc batteries is no different from their 1.5 volt counterparts.

Lithium:

Alkaline:

Carbon-Zinc:

So - Stored at room temperature for 10 years, a lithium 9 volt battery will still have around 90 percent of its original capacity; an alkaline battery will have around 70 percent; and a carbon-zinc battery will have around 40 percent (assuming no leakage).
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 3:21:14 AM EDT

I'll take that advise. Thanks!

my pleasure!
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 9:25:48 PM EDT
If you have any 2 to 6 C or D cell MAG lights that aren't in current use, Nite-Ize makes an LED bulb that, frankly, sucks for flashlight use due to beam quality, but uses so little power that the light will run for days.

I also used the bulb in a very old Ash Flash 4-D cell lantern. Again beam quality suffers because the bulb's light point just isn't right for the reflector, but it puts out a wide ringy flood of light, and a test ran for over 100 straight hours and was still putting out usable light.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 10:25:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/2/2012 10:25:59 PM EDT by Skibane]
Originally Posted By Duodec:
If you have any 2 to 6 C or D cell MAG lights that aren't in current use, Nite-Ize makes an LED bulb that, frankly, sucks for flashlight use due to beam quality, but uses so little power that the light will run for days.

I also used the bulb in a very old Ash Flash 4-D cell lantern. Again beam quality suffers because the bulb's light point just isn't right for the reflector, but it puts out a wide ringy flood of light, and a test ran for over 100 straight hours and was still putting out usable light.

Nite-Ize has an "upgraded" version of that bulb that is MUCH brighter - even though they also still continue to sell the original version. The new version has some text stamped on the side of the metal base:

It makes a good complement to a 1- or 3-watt LED bulb - Not nearly as bright, but runs much, MUCH longer. Can be stored in the bottom of a Mag-Lite (under the battery spring), just like the original incandescent bulb.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 8:30:50 AM EDT
Gerber Omnivore Not a super performer but a good light. I have this Solar 11-in-1 Battery Charger. Not the best set up but better than nothing. Just another idea hope it helps.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 1:28:27 PM EDT

One of my favorite flashlights is a surefire lumamax. I think the low is 10 or 15 lumens and I wish it was 2-5. You just dont need much when it is really dark
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 11:18:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/3/2012 11:20:56 PM EDT by TigerForce]
Originally Posted By coolstuff:
here ya go
0.2 lumens for 30 days on 2 AA batts. I recomended it to a friend that works underground incase he pulls a Chile.

+1 The moonlight mode on these is great. I have a single AA version.

I don't intend to go off topic, but the single AA version can also be powered by a rechargeable Li-ion battery which operates up to 4.2 V- nominal voltage on these is about 3.7 V. It pumps out >200 lumens with the Li-ions, but runs great on alkaline and Eneloops as well. They can be converted from single AA to double AA- and vice-versa- interchangeable bodies.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 1:21:23 PM EDT
Originally Posted By TigerForce:
Originally Posted By coolstuff:
here ya go

+1 The moonlight mode on these is great. I have a single AA version.

I don't intend to go off topic, but the single AA version can also be powered by a rechargeable Li-ion battery which operates up to 4.2 V- nominal voltage on these is about 3.7 V. It pumps out >200 lumens with the Li-ions, but runs great on alkaline and Eneloops as well. They can be converted from single AA to double AA- and vice-versa- interchangeable bodies.

I have this setup as my always-on-me flashlight right now. The thing is stupid-bright on Turbo, and the lower settings work perfectly as well. 30 days run-time on moonlight with the li-ion battery, and if it runs out away from a spare li-ion any AA will do. Awesome, awesome flashlight.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 2:07:24 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 2:10:45 PM EDT
I will have to come back to this.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 4:04:36 PM EDT
Originally Posted By raf:
FWIW, and not to disrespect other, newer, members, I have always found skibane and batmanacw to be very informative. YMMV.

They're bullshit artists - Both of 'em!
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 4:12:59 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Skibane:
FWIW, and not to disrespect other, newer, members, I have always found skibane and batmanacw to be very informative. YMMV.

They're bullshit artists - Both of 'em!

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 2:07:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/5/2012 2:51:46 PM EDT by DevL]
When I go out into the wildreness I use ONE light. My Zebralight headlamp. It can do 200 lumens or do 16 days on ultra low... on ONE Eleloop AA battery. I usually use it as my only light source and I only use 1 battery in three days of use. I dont like handheld lights for outdoor use... I need my hands to do things. I use 5 lights at work, none are a headlamp.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 10:02:09 PM EDT

+1 You bet ! I always like to hear their opinions about lights ! !

Top Top