Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/4/2010 7:17:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/4/2010 7:21:23 PM EDT by Diehard187]
I found this on the Domino website and wanted to know if you guys think this is true

from http://www.dominosugar.com/content/109/faq.aspx#ProductFAQs2
Q. What is the shelf life of sugar?
A. Sugar, properly stored (tightly closed and in a dry place), has an indefinite shelf life because it does not support microbial growth.

Q. How should I store my granulated sugar and powdered sugar?
A. Granulated sugar will harden when exposed to any type of moisture. Here is an easy way to make hardened granulated sugar soft again –– Preheat oven to lowest temperature, 150-200 degrees. Remove sugar from the package and put in an ovenproof container that will hold the sugar. Place in the warm oven for approximately 15 minutes. Tap sugar with a spoon. If it starts to fall apart, turn oven off and leave sugar in the oven for an hour or two to completely dry out. Always store granulated sugar in an airtight container.

I have always seen low shelf life numbers for sugar online and I would tend to believe a sugar company would know more than most about it's product. I suspect sugar would be a very valuable barter item during SHTF since it seems to be primary food that is rationed by the government during emergencies.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 8:53:13 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 9:40:45 PM EDT
Originally Posted By medicmandan:
I've got cans from my parents that are 10+ years old. Never had problems with it.

Don't add oxygen absorbers to the cans though.

Why is that?
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 10:27:06 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 3:23:42 PM EDT

Originally Posted By carl20320:
I've got cans from my parents that are 10+ years old. Never had problems with it.

Don't add oxygen absorbers to the cans though.

Why is that?

End up with a solid block of sugar. Not sure why.

The oxy abs. generate heat, that heat melts the sugar together.
Top Top