Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/30/2015 3:28:32 PM EDT
I can get a knife damn sharp with THIS.

I really like the feel of a finely stropped edge. Often all it takes to bring an edge back is to straighten it a bit on a ceramic stick and strop it.

That is why I made this.

1/8 " x 1" thick aluminum and a piece of leather belt that is at least 50 years old. I used Gorilla Glue to hold it on and a belt sander to true it up on the edges.

It weighs around an ounce and it works sweet! I use white stick buffing compound. One loading of compound will do dozens of knives or sharpenings.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 5:03:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Very nice and an excellent way to keep an edge maintained so you don't need heavy sharpening.  The only recommendation I could make would be to cut a few same-sized pieces of various wet-dry sand paper to help hone the blade (my preference with convex edges).  How long is it?

Oh, I forgot to mention that a custom knife I received from Martin Knives included a diamond hone and Ed Martin glued some very dense bubble wrap to the back side and added a strip of 800 grit paper (where I got my idea) to assist with maintaining the edge.  I like the loaded leather strop with the addition of the sandpaper.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 5:16:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Very nice and an excellent way to keep an edge maintained so you don't need heavy sharpening.  The only recommendation I could make would be to cut a few same-sized pieces of various wet-dry sand paper to help hone the blade (my preference with convex edges).  How long is it?

Oh, I forgot to mention that a custom knife I received from Martin Knives included a diamond hone and Ed Martin glued some very dense bubble wrap to the back side and added a strip of 800 grit paper (where I got my idea) to assist with maintaining the edge.  I like the loaded leather strop with the addition of the sandpaper.

ROCK6
View Quote

I should have been more clear. My travel kit has the sharpener that I linked above the pictures and the new leather strop. The strop is 1.5 oz and the sharpener is 1.6 oz.  3.1 oz isn't terrible for the over all weight of my travel sharpening kit.

I have fine diamond, white ceramic, and a strop now.

For a convex edge I would get some of the dense foam rubber like what is used for weather stripping that has sticky on both sides and stick 600-800 grit to that.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 8:17:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I should have been more clear. My travel kit has the sharpener that I linked above the pictures and the new leather strop. The strop is 1.5 oz and the sharpener is 1.6 oz.  3.1 oz isn't terrible for the over all weight of my travel sharpening kit.

I have fine diamond, white ceramic, and a strop now.

For a convex edge I would get some of the dense foam rubber like what is used for weather stripping that has sticky on both sides and stick 600-800 grit to that.
View Quote

Thanks for clearing up.  I think the aluminum base is a good idea; the steel bar I have that has the diamonds on it is really quite heavy (I actually prefer the lighter DMT diamond hones for better weight).  Good sharpening kit that should handle just about 90% of edge maintenance.  

ROCK6
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 10:20:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Good idea.  I usually just use a hank of leather and put it on whatever flat surface I have available.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top