Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/15/2011 6:03:44 PM EDT

this old troy bilt was for my grandpa. i am 37 and i remember him having it when i was a young child. i would like to know what model it is. he passed a few years ago so i cant ask him. i changed the engine on it about 7 years ago. I think it came with a kohler originaly.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 6:11:07 PM EDT
[#1]
It appears to be a horse model that someone removed the sheetmetal tine guard from(not a good idea). If it has two drive belts, it's a horse 1 model and only has two speeds. later ones use a single drive belt and are four speed. There is a troybilt group on yahoo, but I don't have the link handy.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 6:12:12 PM EDT
[#2]
damn unpredictable full auto mouse....

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 6:15:22 PM EDT
[#3]
yes it has two belts and 2 speeds. i have no idea what happened to the guard. thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 6:17:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 6:19:20 PM EDT
[#5]
are the new horses built as bullet proof and heavy duty as the old ones? i would like to get one if they are
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 6:24:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Hard to tell scale in that pic, looks like a horse.

yeah, i should've stood next to it.  took the pic with my cell phone today while tilling my garden with it.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 7:21:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 6:28:48 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

yeah, i should've stood next to it.  took the pic with my cell phone today while tilling my garden with it.

The engine HP should be a giveaway. IIRC the horse was around 7 and up . Pony was smaller. Don't quote me on those numbers though.

Horse models were available with three different engines. The cheapest one was the 6hp Tecumseh. The next one up was the Kohler 7hp, and the largest was the Briggs and Stratton 8hp.

The older Troybilt stuff was manufactured by Garden Way(pre early/mid 1990's) and was, from all reports, of substantially better quality than the current production stuff from MTD. Just buy an older used one. Parts are easy to find.

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 7:28:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The engine HP should be a giveaway. IIRC the horse was around 7 and up . Pony was smaller. Don't quote me on those numbers though.

it currently has a 5 hp on it.i changed it myself. it originally had an 8 hp. it is way under powered with the 5 hp. it also has only one belt instead of the two it originally came with. i would rather get an old used one if i can find one. my step mother in law has one that needs a new engine and tires but is in great shape that i offered her $600.00 for and she wont sell. it was for her grandpa. they are $2000.00 new.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 7:38:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 9:51:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not a Pony. Ponys did not engage belts by moving up and down engine (which this one does). They had a moveable idler pulley.

Definitely a Horse. Not a PTO model though, so gen 1 or gen 2.

Gen 1's Horses even had a 4 hp Horse model. Chasis was the same, just smaller engine.

I'm runing a 5 hp Intek on my Gen 2 (4 speed) with out a hickup for years. It originally had a 7 hp motor.

Edited:
Looking at the engine slider (it is solid at the top) so it's a gen 1 (so over 30 to 40 years old at least). It is in all likelyhood a 2 speed, but they did offer an upgrade to convert older 2 speeds to 4 speed later on.

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 10:14:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Yup that is a Horse 1, IMO the best of all the series ever built.    I have had 7 troy bilt horses over the years ranging from 1973-1993 models that series 1 is the one to have.  I have a tine hood you can have, you pay shipping and its yours.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 10:22:38 AM EDT
[#13]
I have an 11 yo Troy tiller (one speed, belt drive) that has run and run and run and run...

I've only replaced the drive belt on it and kept the fluid changed.  I love that thing...
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 3:55:48 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

it currently has a 5 hp on it.i changed it myself. it originally had an 8 hp. it is way under powered with the 5 hp. it also has only one belt instead of the two it originally came with. i would rather get an old used one if i can find one. my step mother in law has one that needs a new engine and tires but is in great shape that i offered her $600.00 for and she wont sell. it was for her grandpa. they are $2000.00 new.

I got an electric start Horse 2 for about $110....in good shape. I paid over double that for my horse 1, which needed a total rebuild.

I'm sure you can find one for less than $600..I have seen many go for $400-$500.

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 6:21:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Standing behind the tiller on the left hand side of the transmission should be a flange that sticks out (It won't "match" the other side), on that flange should be some serial numbers stamped into the metal. Post those numbers and I'll tell you about the tiller then. Send them to me via IM if you can, cause I may forget about this thread, or not make it onto the site and I'll get back to you. I even think I may have links somewhere to all the info needed to do a full rebuild or whatever you need. You may be able to find a hood for those tines.

J
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top