Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/23/2013 9:36:04 PM EDT
When I get my General and a capable radio, one of my interests is to be able to send and receive digital information from a field environment, using as little equipment as possible. I enjoy backpacking, so I would want to be able to send/receive text and photos over the air, in areas where I most likely would not have cell service.

Since hauling a laptop would not be feasible, but since I'd already have my iPhone with me (even in airplane mode to save battery), are there apps or software that will allow an iPhone to sync in with a radio (like maybe the IC-7200 which I've got my eye on), and perform the digital functions that a computer would perform?

I saw this software, and it appears that what I'm thinking can be done. But I wanted to ask you guys to see what you thought.

http://www.dxzone.com/dx22642/i-psk31.html
Link Posted: 12/23/2013 11:11:51 PM EDT
[#1]
7200 is too heavy to hike with. For hiking, I would look at the ft-857. I don't know a lot about aprs,  but you can send and receive  mgs with it.

Im pretty sure my post is not helping.

Link Posted: 12/23/2013 11:31:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Shit it's 12 pounds. That's heavy indeed.

Link Posted: 12/24/2013 2:38:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Yes, search for an app called PSKer in the apple store.  I think it's $2.99.
It works good...the biggest limiting factor is probably how fast you can type on the iPhone keypad. There are macros you can store text in also.

But if you are hiking with a rig the size of that Icom, you probably wouldn't even notice a little netbook, which would be a lot more versatile

I have envisioned the iPhone/PSKer app to be a nice simple setup for a small qrp rig.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 8:12:19 PM EDT
[#4]
What are the practical considerations to using an iPhone/ipad?
(What cable, etc)
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 8:38:48 PM EDT
[#5]

ebay PSK iphone interface

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EASY-DIGI-PSK-INTERFACE-FOR-IPhone-IPad-IPod-Touch-/221170345121

There was a QST article about iphone PSK a while back.
If you're an ARRL member, you can search it out.

Link Posted: 1/28/2014 2:38:04 AM EDT
[#6]
I can hump my chrome book all day. It gives me about 4 hours with real use and can stay in standby for days. It is about the size of an ipad and weighs about the same. Plus since it has a real OS on it I can use it with any digital mode out there.

MFSK32 has the ability to send a 100x100 color thumbnail and it takes about 4 seconds. As long as the picture is good quality before it is shrunk down it can be enlarged pretty easily.

The problem you run into using digital modes on QRP /p stations it the duty cycle. It eats batteries and limits your power output.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 3:43:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

ebay PSK iphone interface

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EASY-DIGI-PSK-INTERFACE-FOR-IPhone-IPad-IPod-Touch-/221170345121

There was a QST article about iphone PSK a while back.
If you're an ARRL member, you can search it out.

View Quote

Came here to post this....carry on.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top