Posted: 11/21/2008 7:41:36 AM EDT
This comes up from time to time and I wanted to go over the pros and cons.
1. quick and easy way to power the whole house
1. you can fry a lineman if you don't throw your main
2. possible fire hazard if the plug/wire the genny is plugged into is overloaded
3. problems with some electronics? <-not sure
What do you guys think?
I never really thought too much about it before because I owned an apartment building and lived in one unit. But now I have a house and am curious.
You can always spend the few extra bucks and have a electrician wire up a transfer switch.
If you go with genny - extension cords - to equipment, a GFCI outlet would be a good idea to have along with a surge protection device for any sensitive electronic equipment. I have a power strip that has surge protection capability.