Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/21/2012 3:09:40 PM EDT
What is the shelf life for gas stored in jerry cans in the north east? Also how much gas do you guys have on hand at all times
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 3:14:34 PM EDT
[#1]
If ethanol free and with stabil it wouldn't surprise me if if could make it a year or two.  I keep a few hundred gallons of gas.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 3:19:44 PM EDT
[#2]
I usually have around 50 gallons but I rotate them frequently.
I have used un stabilized gas that over a year old with no problems,I have also used gas that was treated with Stabil  that was over 18 months old with no problems.
YMMV
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 3:38:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Any fresh gas made in the US (anywhere in the US) stored in airtight metal containers held at reasonable temperatures will be good for several years.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 3:50:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Agree. I have used years old gasoline w/ethanol, no stabil, and stored from 20 degrees to 98 degrees from air tight metal cans with no issues.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 3:54:11 PM EDT
[#5]
I keep 5- 10 gallons around. I have other containers, so before a big weather event, like a snow storm in expected to hit, i fill those.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 3:56:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Any fresh gas made in the US (anywhere in the US) stored in airtight metal containers held at reasonable temperatures will be good for several years.

how can you tell the country of origin of your gas?
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 4:03:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Taste it.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 4:13:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which country did you buy it in?
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 4:52:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

so you are saying that all the gas in the united states was manufactured here? from oil that was produced here?
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:01:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

so you are saying that all the gas in the united states was manufactured here? from oil that was produced here?

OK, that was sloppy of me.  How about "gasoline sold in the United States from a major refiner that meets the basic Federal requirements for the area and/or that meet D4814, D5798, whatever, not D910".  In other words, the gasoline most likely to be encountered by anyone anywhere in the United States.  When I think of gasoline, I think of what comes off of the rack (and then it becomes motor fuel), not what is in the tanks or where it comes from, and that's probably not how others see it.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:20:36 PM EDT
[#11]
I have used 2 year old gas stored with Stabil in regular red plastic containers with no problem.  I had 10 gallons stored pre-Sandy, now I am keeping 30 gallons.  My generator uses propane exclusively unless that runs out, so the gas is primarily for my car.  But I could run the generator on gasoline too if need be.

With Sandy, although power was only out for about a week, gas was impossible or very difficult to get for more like 3 weeks.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:35:05 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

What is the shelf life for gas stored in jerry cans in the north east? Also how much gas do you guys have on hand at all times

Since I do not recognize you and you have a recent join date...

Welcome to the SF

troprod has answered you...If you keep you gas sealed in an airtight container then it will be fine for a long time.

Please allow me to direct you to one of the tacked threads at the top of page one of the SF...titled the Fuel Can Oracle

On page one of the Fuel Can Oracle your question is answered twice.

EXPY37, TaylorWSO, and CJan_NH have explained many times in threads newer than your join date MJR73 that stabil is not needed

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:37:48 PM EDT
[#13]
I keep 50 gallons on hand in 5s and it is cycle it once a year. I get Chevron premium and it gets Stable. It gets Stable under the assumption that I'll need to store it for quite some time.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:54:51 PM EDT
[#14]
We keep 80 gallons of 87 oct with ethanol and treated with snakes oils in cheapie red plastic containers with a tight fitting cap.  Year old gas gets rotated every month and the container refilled.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:40:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Personally, I keep ~55 gallons on hand at all times, and most of it is rotated annually.  (I burn a can or two here and there over the course of the year, but most of it I do about... now. )  I've also got about 15 gallons more that I can fill if there's something obviously coming, but that I don't consider in my storage preps.  Those are things like the boats tank, the cheap cans I fill the mower from, etc.  Much of the time there is 'fresh' gas there, but by no means 'always'.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:56:12 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I keep 50 gallons on hand in 5s and it is cycle it once a year. I get Chevron premium and it gets Stable.

I have no reason to fuss about Chevron gas

It gets Stable under the assumption that I'll need to store it for quite some time.

You are free to do as you wish.

But

When a guy that says he works in a gasoline test lab says the keep gas 2 years in airtight containers.  

Then another guy that says things tells me he works close to the gasoline test lab says use airtight containers.  

Then TaylorWSO points out that Stabil has a shelf life.

EXPY37 has pointed out the basic ingredients of Stabil

CJan_NH has posted that the container is more important than the additive.

I guess I just see that the money I save by not buying Stabil allows more money for other things like more good jerry cans.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 7:52:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

While I agree with others that gas stores well in well-sealed containers, it doesn't hurt to rotate it through your (gas) car.  There is more oxidation/polymerization in plastic cans than metal.  I, personally, rotate gas every 6 months since there is no degradation in plastic (Scepter) cans during that period of time.  I have 4 of those filled and 5 metal cans for a total of 9 X 5 gallons = 45 gallons.  I store it in a shed away from the house.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 8:11:04 PM EDT
[#18]
I have 60 gallons in 5 gallon plastic Blitz containers that I store in my shed. I rotated through all of it through Super storm Sandy. The gas was mostly Hess 91 premium with Stabil added from January 2012 which ran fine in my champion generator.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 8:23:06 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm still using up up $1.39 gas from the summer of 2003.  Regular unleaded, 10% ethanol, no additives, looks and smells as fresh as the day (or night) I bought it.  All stored in NATO cans with good seals.  I started with 20+ cans in 1999.  Every 6 months or so I pull one out and check it.  If it looks good it goes in the truck- no problems. I had one that had turned cloudy but the seal was bad- no whoosh when I opened it.  That was this summer so I don't know how long it took to go bad.  Even so mixed it 50/50 with fresh gas and ran it in various small engines with no problems.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 3:01:40 AM EDT
[#20]
I've gradually replaced our gasoline vehicles with diesels, primarily because the fuel is so much easier and safer to store. We now have a diesel tractor, two cars, and a pick up. If I could find a diesel outboard for our boat, I'd buy that, too.

We keep a month's worth (two months if the wife would just quit driving the kid to and from school every #%^& day) of fuel in Jerry cans on a pallet in our basement. No worries about shelf life or volatility. Still, I rotate through it so that it never gets much older than a year.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 4:04:01 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:49:40 AM EDT
[#22]
ive stored non ethanol in nato jerry can two years no prob.......stabil yes..........cheap plastic cans I dont think they will last near that long due to venting.....and 30 gals on hand
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top