Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/5/2008 7:08:29 AM EDT
so where do you guys hide your stashes? i have been able to stock pile some in a closet, but am running out of room.  i live in texas (which is hotter than hell right now) and have a 2 car garage and a 500 square foot shop (portion of the shop can be coooled by a window unit).  i have plenty of space in the garage, but how will the heat/humidity effect foods i will be storing, which will be a little of everything.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 7:13:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Dried goods when packed properly won't care about the temp / humidity.  5 gallon buckets, food packed in mylar bags with O2 absorbers should last 10+ years in your garage, if not considerably longer.  Canned goods.. well they don't seem to fare quite so well in a hot environment so you might want to keep them somewhere cooler than your garage.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 7:13:50 AM EDT
[#2]
I managed to fit 18 buckets and a BUNCH of spam in half my closet.

Now, I need more space, too.

I plan to put a lot of buckets in the BOL, which has a basement.

Link Posted: 6/5/2008 7:15:45 AM EDT
[#3]
When I lived in a smaller house, we put #10 cans under beds and on the floor in closets.  We had a whole wall in a the spare bedroom/office that was stacked to the ceiling with food storage.  It was a PITA.  It was too hot to put it in the garage.  The heat reduces storage life dramatically.

If you own your residence and have a yard, you could bury a sealed 55 gallon drum of wheat.  Wheat is nice because you do not have to rotate it.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 7:17:19 AM EDT
[#4]
What and how are you storing, and in what quantities?  Oh, and must it be "camo'd" or can you openly display shelves with preps?

Link Posted: 6/5/2008 7:17:55 AM EDT
[#5]
dang, the canned stuff is what i will be buying more of.  looks like the laundry room may be getting an extreme home makeover!  
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 7:26:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Consider how you are storing your stuff. Cans are a PITA, they are difficult as they are round and waste alot of space. I use can racks and that has helped alot in both rotation and being space conscious.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 8:36:44 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Dried goods when packed properly won't care about the temp / humidity.  5 gallon buckets, food packed in mylar bags with O2 absorbers should last 10+ years in your garage, if not considerably longer.  Canned goods.. well they don't seem to fare quite so well in a hot environment so you might want to keep them somewhere cooler than your garage.

yip dried good your g2g,,short term stuff like canned goods( alal soups,veggies etc) will be shortlived in the heat,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBoKCSFA1lQ
2 part vid on results of food stored in not so perfect conditions.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 9:16:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Another thing to watch for in the heat is those cans that have a pull-top opening. If it gets very hot they can pop open and make a mess. They're not quite as strong as regular cans.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top