Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 6/16/2009 9:40:34 AM EST
have any of you bought a firesteel and tube from these guys. i'm looking to buy a couple and would like to know if they a good compnay to deal with.

thanx in advance for the help
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 12:18:18 PM EST
I don't have experience with other makers (besides the cheapo flint stuff in my youth), but I got my first order from Firesteel yesterday. I got a variety pack and a few strikers. I am impressed. The material stays lit for a fair amount of time. I had no trouble lighting treated cotton balls/dryer lint, etc. I now have the small one in my wallet, a couple different sized in my pack, and one in my glove box. Obviously, certain conditions would make ignition difficult, but I think it a wise backup considering cost/wieght, etc.

Keib
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:39:32 PM EST
I bought several of the Pup and Ranger size. Had them within a few days of purchase. I've made several handles out of some red oak strips I had laying around. Used an old hacksaw blade for a scraper. The hacksaw blades are not the best thing you could use, but will work in a pinch. Rods spark fine and have no problems lighting good tinder. I'd use them again in the future. Thought of ordering more to make as gifts for my buddies. I think I'll try a few of their scrapers next time as well.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:46:36 PM EST
[Last Edit: 6/16/2009 7:48:06 PM EST by ShakenNotStirred]
I've been recommended to use these guys for fire steels/misch metal rods (but have not yet made a purchase):
http://goinggear.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=4&zenid=2dc0df8981e4cf1eef73025f8833a26f

ETA: Doing a comparison, Going Gear seems to have much better pricing.
Top Top