Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/14/2008 8:07:13 PM EDT
so i told my wife that i wanted to stock some items in the event something happened to where we would have to depend on ourselves. thinking that she would tell me i was weird i was surprised when she ask if i could get the heavy stuff (shes 8 months pregnant) and how  much a back up generator would be.

so we have started. planing for 3-4 months no power, water, gas. if anything last longer than that we will be moving on. with a two year old a 3 week old and a big pregnant wife (if you do the math and want to know i will tell you the story later) allot of our supplies are infant related. i have 5 months of diapers, formula, wipes, and rash cream. any ideas here would be helpful. in my spot i will be sticking close to the house so a bug out bag will not work. more like holding down the fort. i am stalking up on diesel, gas, propane, and drinking water. our well will run on one of my work genies but is not the greatest for drinking. from there, after i get some time to go to sams club and winco we will see where im at. for my at least this will take some time to put together.

thanks for all the great info this far!
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 8:10:44 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
so i told my wife that i wanted to stock some items in the event something happened to where we would have to depend on ourselves. thinking that she would tell me i was weird i was surprised when she ask if i could get the heavy stuff (shes 8 months pregnant) and how  much a back up generator would be.

so we have started. planing for 3-4 months no power, water, gas. if anything last longer than that we will be moving on. with a two year old a 3 week old and a big pregnant wife (if you do the math and want to know i will tell you the story later) allot of our supplies are infant related. i have 5 months of diapers, formula, wipes, and rash cream. any ideas here would be helpful. in my spot i will be sticking close to the house so a bug out bag will not work. more like holding down the fort. i am stalking up on diesel, gas, propane, and drinking water. our well will run on one of my work genies but is not the greatest for drinking. from there, after i get some time to go to sams club and winco we will see where im at. for my at least this will take some time to put together.

Good work, another spouse on board. Just be diligent it will come together.
Best of luck.
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 8:41:11 PM EDT
[#2]
height=8
Quoted:

so we have started. planing for 3-4 months no power, water, gas. if anything last longer than that we will be moving on. with a two year old a 3 week old and a big pregnant wife (If you do the math and want to know i will tel you the story later) allot of our supplies are infant related. i have 5 months of diapers, formula, wipes, and rash cream. any ideas here would be helpful. in my spot i will be sticking close to the house so a bug out bag will not work. more like holding down the fort. i am stalking up on diesel, gas, propane, and drinking water. our well will run on one of my work genies but is not the greatest for drinking. from there, after i get some time to go to sams club and winco we will see where im at. for my at least this will take some time to put together.

thanks for all the great info this far!he.  

Overall sounds like a pretty good plan
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 9:23:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Babies R us has a great diaper sale on black friday.  We picked up a year worth of diapers for $130.00 last year.  If the water is not that great get a Berkley as a pre filter and then boil for drinking esp. for powdered baby formula.  Pick up basic child med. (cold, fever meds.)
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 9:24:25 PM EDT
[#4]
You can also go to the major baby formula web sites and register you expectant child and get free sample cans of formula powder.
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 1:04:30 AM EDT
[#5]
your in cali, just show here the news of all the fires, what if you had to pack up and leave...you need supplies to take along, esp for the baby. that's all it should take for her to get on board
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 1:24:30 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

so we have started. planing for 3-4 months no power, water, gas. if anything last longer than that we will be moving on. with a two year old a 3 week old and a big pregnant wife (If you do the math and want to know i will tel you the story later) allot of our supplies are infant related. i have 5 months of diapers, formula, wipes, and rash cream. any ideas here would be helpful. in my spot i will be sticking close to the house so a bug out bag will not work. more like holding down the fort. i am stalking up on diesel, gas, propane, and drinking water. our well will run on one of my work genies but is not the greatest for drinking. from there, after i get some time to go to sams club and winco we will see where im at. for my at least this will take some time to put together.

I'll be the first.  

Overall sounds like a pretty good plan

2nd

a bug out bag is not simply for long term bug out.  it's in case of a fire, flood, etc., whatever.  i would recommend pulling one together and having it ready.  i live on acreage myself, but i still have multiple bug out bags for my family.  

also, list which SHTF scenarios are most likely to hit you and prep for those first and move down the list adding whatever maybe uniquely needed for each event.  

you mention stocking up on water, gas, diesel, diapers, formula, etc., but where's the food?  hopefully you just forgot to mention it in your post.  your wife is uniquely equipped to take care of the 3 week old and the one she's carrying, so unless she can't nurse, i'd make sure you have plenty of food, supplements, whatever she'll need to get enough calories to feed the young ones.  

our newest is 8 weeks old.  good times, no sleep, but good times.

Link Posted: 10/15/2008 3:11:33 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm in the same boat with a 2 y.o and a 4 m.o
Bugging out isnt practical. I wish I had the money for a backup generator, as we have a natural gas plug on the outside conveniently near the power panel.

Having moved to TX from SoCal, we're well aware of the need for disaster supplies. We still have our earthquake kit assembled. I try to stock up on canned food, water, ammo, all the essentials. The wife fully agrees with the need, as long as we can afford it.

It's tough on the budget, but a 5 gal crate of water is only 5$ at Costco, so one a paychek or two isnt bad.

Ammo's a bit tougher since my pile keeps diminishing for some reason...Dont forget empty 5 gallon gas cans for fuel runs. Not safe to have the gas stored, but the empties sell fast when an emergency hits.  A friend of mine was spending 90$ a day in gas to keep his small generator working during IKE, and has to spend an hour on the road to refuel. His biggest complaint was a lack of gas cans. He's going to go to a whole house natural gas or propane generator to avoid it completely in the future.
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 4:14:06 AM EDT
[#8]
money like any other resource is, for most of us, has availability limits.

Yes, we might suffer a total economic collapse, but I doubt it.  We might endure total societal collapse, but I doubt it.  Iranian Terrorists might invade, but again, I doubt it.

99.98% of what we need to plan for will be natural disaster related.  Even with Katrina, if a family were prepped for a month, they were good to go.

Spend those hard earned, and short supply dollars on practical things for a shorter, disaster related period of time.

After you have covered your bases for short term, then you can do more long range planning.

In regards to baby supplies, the old remedies and things still work.  Baking soda, vinegar etc.  Just saying.........
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 5:25:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Congrats on getting the Mrs. on board. As far as the kid friendly supplies go, I agree 100% on the common meds ( ibuprofen, cold/cough, diaper rash, antidiarrhea). infants have a very narrow threshhold of fluid/electolyte balance, and in a shtf scenerio, you don't want them becoming dehydrated from fever, diarrhea or lack of eating due to their illness.
   Another option to consider is a child back pack carrier. I had one when my young ones were little and loved it. We would take them on day hikes with us and it would free up our hands and the geltle rocking that they got kept them from getting fussy.

Link Posted: 10/15/2008 6:26:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Here is a good carrier.
www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2862030

I have 8 month old twins, and preps have taken on a whole new meaning for us.  My wife has always been on board for preping.  The only thing holding me back is money...

Jeremy
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 6:40:42 AM EDT
[#11]
I would suggest a good first-aid kit with items geared to the little ones - including (if possible) some of the more commonly needed prescriptions for kids to cover sniffles, stomach issues, toothing issues, etc.  I know it may seem redundant, but there are kid sized pressure cuffs, splints, etc that it sounds like you would have several uses for. Anti-bacterial wipes and pudding cups too.

and lots of hand towels - it seems that when the nieces and nephews are over, we go through the towels and wipes ten times as fast!  
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 9:16:51 AM EDT
[#12]
thanks for all the input! It sounds like many of us are not deston for the wet dream of buggin out.  

Kid meds are in the scope if planning. Allso to all, in my op I did mention food. Spent $1200 in adoption related cost this month so everything else will come in the next months.

Where is a good store to get #10 cans? Like rice and beans. The net is out on this one I need a chain store.  
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 9:42:27 AM EDT
[#13]

i have 5 months of diapers, formula, wipes, and rash cream.

I would suggest making breast-feeding Plan A, with formula Plan B.
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 10:04:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Every time you go to the pediatricain, ask them if they have samples of baby formula. The pediatricians get this stuff for free from the sales reps and they are happy to give it away. All you have to do is ask.

We were going to the pediatrician about every two weeks for awhile. Every time we did, my wife would ask and we would get about a $12 can of formula.  Believe me, $12 here and $12 there adds up quite a bit.

Also, don't be shy, it's never too early to start asking. Ask early and often and start stocking up.
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 10:15:25 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Every time you go to the pediatrician, ask them if they have samples of baby formula. The paediatricians get this stuff for free from the sales reps and they are happy to give it away. All you have to do is ask.

We were going to the pediatrician about every two weeks for awhile. Every time we did, my wife would ask and we would get about a $12 can of formula.  Believe me, $12 here and $12 there adds up quite a bit.

Also, don't be shy, it's never too early to start asking. Ask early and often and start stocking up.

+1 on this.  We just finalized our adoption (1 year old Monday)...We got a ton of formula from the pediatrician and we bought the Sam's club generic formula ($10 less for 10 oz more)...as long as it has the DHA in it you are good to go, which I am sure you know.  
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 10:42:18 AM EDT
[#16]
I will bet you dont have a real year of diapers.
You luck they will poop and pee twice as much as the last one.

Good hint on Baby meds.
Big people meds too.
I have been stucking up for 30 days and hope to up to 90 soon.
One piece at a time.
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 4:14:15 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Every time you go to the pediatrician, ask them if they have samples of baby formula. The paediatricians get this stuff for free from the sales reps and they are happy to give it away. All you have to do is ask.

+1 on this.  We just finalized our adoption (1 year old Monday)...We got a ton of formula from the pediatrician and we bought the Sam's club generic formula ($10 less for 10 oz more)...as long as it has the DHA in it you are good to go, which I am sure you know.  

we have WIC. it gives us milk, cheese, formula, and other dairy goodies. and it does it by the truck load when two of your kids qualify. i finally figured how to get some of my tax $ back out of the state. these two are also on medical so this helps a ton. also helps to be self employed with only $19K showin on your 10-40.
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 4:17:14 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I will bet you dont have a real year of diapers.
You luck they will poop and pee twice as much as the last one.

Good hint on Baby meds.
Big people meds too.
I have been stucking up for 30 days and hope to up to 90 soon.
One piece at a time.

one to many to drink i thinks.

and i do not have a year in diapers. never said i did. i have 5 months of diapers stated in my op.
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 4:31:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Ummmm.....don't forget the Oragel
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 7:46:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Don't forget about the pickles!  Lots and lots of pickles!

KT_Cobra
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 8:49:13 PM EDT
[#21]
how far out can you go with 1500 diapers? target miss marked huggies to $4 per 112 box (norm $ 20ish). i bought all they had at that price.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 5:36:58 AM EDT
[#22]
The best way to get an idea of how long they will last for u take and subtract 31 from 1500 and that will tell u how many u can use in a day and u should be able to figure it out from there or get an idea.
Congrats on the new baby and to the one that is on the way.has  I wouldn't be able to do it.Make sure u help out as much as u can and make damn sure that u give her back and foot rubs out of the blue.he
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 6:15:27 AM EDT
[#23]
Have both Infant and Child Tylenol in your preps. The former is a concentrate, so doses are small. The little ones quickly outgrow doses, what worked miracles at 10 lbs. does nothing at 20, so you may want to ask your pediatrician on what to give at several different weights. The stuff does wonders for fever and pain control.

In addition, check websites like Craigslist and similar local venues. You will often see people selling formula at drastically reduced prices, typically WIC recipients who take more than they'll ever use at taxpayer expense knowing they'll resell it. My wife and I have taken advantage of this a couple times. Many people will also have formula coupons for free or at a fraction of face value. We recently rec'd $19 in coupons from a Craigslist ad. No cost to us at all, just two e-mails.

One caveat about stocking-up on formula too early. Be sure what your baby likes and can handle before you buy in bulk. We made that mistake with my son, buying three large cans on the recommendation of a friend before Ian was even born. The only problem was we quickly discovered that particular brand was too "gassy" for him. We had to switch to another brand and re-sold the remaining two cans of the other stuff at a significant loss.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 6:17:41 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
how far out can you go with 1500 diapers? target miss marked huggies to $4 per 112 box (norm $ 20ish). i bought all they had at that price.

Great deal! With respect to diapers, my two (2 yrs and 9 months today) go through about 70 per week. I just asked "the boss."
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 7:11:00 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

One caveat about stocking-up on formula too early. Be sure what your baby likes and can handle before you buy in bulk. We made that mistake with my son, buying three large cans on the recommendation of a friend before Ian was even born. The only problem was we quickly discovered that particular brand was too "gassy" for him. We had to switch to another brand and re-sold the remaining two cans of the other stuff at a significant loss.

we have 3 different brands of formula and like you said one seems to go down easy but does not come out that way......most of what we have has been donated to use from friends that have wic (ours just picked up). it is also the $25 a can stuff. i think we are up to 27 cans not including the unusable stuff.  

27 cans- five days a can we are good for a minuet.  (<---$675 in formula! you think fuel is expensive)
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 7:14:06 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

27 cans- five days a can we are good for a minuet.  (<---$675 in formula! you think fuel is expensive)

Insane isn't it? We're talking about fortified dried milk, not liquid gold. I can't wait until my daughter turns one in January. No more of that stuff then.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 7:16:48 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Great deal! With respect to diapers, my two (2 yrs and 9 months today) go through about 70 per week. I just asked "the boss."

ok, 70 a week is a good number. my boss said 65. so 1500 is.......over 5 months.

$00.17 (without rippin of target) a diaper......$250. kids are expensive!
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 7:38:36 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

ok, 70 a week is a good number. my boss said 65. so 1500 is.......over 5 months.

$00.17 (without rippin of target) a diaper......$250. kids are expensive!

lol.  just wait, it gets worse.  there's dance class, wrestling, etc. all of which have special shoes and uniforms.  you buy the shoes .5 size too big and half way through the season they're too small. then you buy jeans and the next week they're high waters.  my wife has bought new shoes monthly for our 5 y.o. son b/c he's out growing them, she's even bought a size too big.  his feet need to let the rest of the body catch up or was it that he's feet finally caught up to the body.  crap, he's growing so fast i can't keep it straight, i should've bought stock in the shoe company.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 7:48:04 AM EDT
[#29]
I don't know if anyone has suggested this site yet, but Rawles is a good source for preparedness.  www.survivalblog.com/.  He also has his preparedness plan on sale right now too.  

He talks about SHTF without screaming about the sky falling.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top