Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/28/2013 4:56:50 AM EDT
My wife and I want to put plans in writing for the kids to follow in case of winter power outage or civil unrest. This will be two over lapping lists basically.

The basics are:

Water
Food
Shelter

We have plenty of stored water. We will list what the various stored water is for.

We have loss of good that doesn't require heating. They definitely know how to eat... This includes taking care of the animals.

They will be in our shelter (home). This part will be more about heat management and toilet use as well as keeping a low profile.

The last basic I want to address its safety while we are working our way home.

I fear I won't think of major concepts I just take for granted when I'm home.

I need suggestions or ideas on what to include. None of this its useful without training so we will be focusing on that as well.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:48:55 AM EDT
[#1]
I think the number of children, their ages and some basic experience explinations would greatly help in providing sone recommendations.

I would hope they'd be on their own for less than 24 hrs before you or the wife could make it back so I would have them lockdown in the house and not worry about animals or anything outside, that stuff can all be replaced, not kids. I'd see if they could relocate to an interior room with now windows so a big walkin closet or a bathroom and ride it out. A 12 ga if they are able to handle it would be perfect but make sure you have a plan on how you are going to let them know you're home.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 7:15:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Impossible to say unless you specify the ages of the kids. An 11 year old understands alot more than a 7 year old.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 8:54:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Good point. I have a 12 year old daughter, a 14 year old daughter, and a 16 year old son.

They all shoot, but I don't want to focus on combat firearms, but just basic safety. My son will be versed on how to bring his siblings into a safe area and defend it.

I will never tell them to retreat into a room where they have no ability to see what is going on around them. Ignorance kills. I want them to constantly monitor their surroundings. Just not in a way that will show their presence.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 9:22:31 AM EDT
[#4]
have them practice flushing toilet by pouring directly into bowl
with power out, are there sump pumps that need to be augmented?
gas shut off valve easy to locate and operate
do they EDC a LED light on their key ring?.... Fenix E05 or so
are approaches to your home clear of shrubs?... battery powered motion sensor alarm
binoculars with good light gathering ability
trusted friend or relative they could use as a fall back position?
ability to recharge a cell phone?... alternate communication method
sleeping bag to augment auxiliary heat

most of my juniors and senior students carried some form of neck lanyard for their key ring... add a couple of EDC items... whistle, P38, LED light

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top